Week 3: Southern Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Week 3: Southern Utah

Little off topic but the Missouri Valley as a whole is looking very legit, conference play will be THE GRIND of the FCS for sure

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      SUU isn't very good. Nice job by State to take care of business.

Now just keep everyone healthy through next week going into the bye.
      Alternate hypothesis: the Jacks just might be "that good." I note that SDSU gave Mizzou as good or better than MU's next 2 FBS opponents Toledo and UCF did.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Alternate hypothesis: the Jacks just might be "that good." I note that SDSU gave Mizzou as good or better than MU's next 2 FBS opponents Toledo and UCF did.
        ...with our backup QB.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by fabio208 View Post
          Little off topic but the Missouri Valley as a whole is looking very legit, conference play will be THE GRIND of the FCS for sure
          MVFC won every game yesterday except for USD/Montana, and the Yotes were in that most of the way

Comment

First game of the season I've been able to watch live and it was a pretty fun game to watch. It reminded me a lot of the Northern Arizona game from last year, we just completely dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Langer, Soulek, Gottlob, and LaBlance all had an awesome games. Soulek and Langer were completely blowing up every play the first half, and Gottlob's Pick-6 was athletic as well as really smart, he baited that screen pass.

Bobbit probably had the best game of his career and Hassell continued to be Hassell. Hassell completely shuts down one whole side of the field with his speed and explosion, I can't wait to see what he's like once he gets another year in the weight room.

Butler, Forsythe, and Carr also all had great games. 2 interceptions in one game for a true freshman is legit (the one handed int was sick), to bad we got the block in the back on his pick-6, however I was more disappointed with the personal foul by a senior after the play. Jimmie's interception right away in the 3rd kind of broke SUU's will. Butler is so close to breaking a punt return!

Not much to say about the receiving corps other than they are pretty damn good. Wieneke is a star in the making and it appears that Wesley is getting his poop in a group. I feel a little bad for Schneider because of his production drop off, I feel it's mostly due to losing Sumner...he was Sumner's go to target whereas Lujan appears to target Wieneke.

Lujan did alright, the int in the endzone was terrible but the TD to Wieneke was a dime. Lujan also had a couple nice runs, he is hard to get a straight shot on when he runs.

Zenner was Zenner, Mengarelli had a great game, and I'm glad they are keeping Gandy actively involved with goaline runs. I hope we morph into that Minett/Duffy rotation from a few years ago where 1/4 series we bring in Mengarelli as the feature back to spell Zenner.

The O-line was good, they pushed around SUU without much trouble in the first half. SUU made some adjustments at Half to stack the run, and we didn't adapt to those changes and it showed in the second half. Gregor got blown up a few times in the 2nd half, that was a little surprising to me.

Overall it was a good game and I feel good about the outcome. My biggest complaint is that we had our foot on their throat and didn't go for the kill. We were up 21-0 and leading them 250-60 in yards at half, and only finished with 390 yds and gave up 260. We could've and should've won this game 35/42-0. Good teams win games, great teams go for the kill...we can be a great team.

We have a huge youth movement going on this year with Hassell, T. Carr, Langer, Soulek, Gottlob, Mears, Wieneke, Mengarelli, Ohnesorge, N. Carr, Bobbit, D. Brown and I'll even throw in Lujan. These are all Freshman and Sophomores that are either starting or making major contributions. Our strength this year was suppose to be our veterans and experience...the thing is the veterans (guys like Butler, Forsythe, Lally, Zenner, Schneider, Sherlock, Purcell, Plote, LaBlance, etc.) are playing as good as we thought they would, the young guys are just stepping up.

We should win next week by at least 7 touchdowns, if we don't I will be a little disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
              First game of the season I've been able to watch live and it was a pretty fun game to watch. It reminded me a lot of the Northern Arizona game from last year, we just completely dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Langer, Soulek, Gottlob, and LaBlance all had an awesome games. Soulek and Langer were completely blowing up every play the first half, and Gottlob's Pick-6 was athletic as well as really smart, he baited that screen pass.

Bobbit probably had the best game of his career and Hassell continued to be Hassell. Hassell completely shuts down one whole side of the field with his speed and explosion, I can't wait to see what he's like once he gets another year in the weight room.

Butler, Forsythe, and Carr also all had great games. 2 interceptions in one game for a true freshman is legit (the one handed int was sick), to bad we got the block in the back on his pick-6, however I was more disappointed with the personal foul by a senior after the play. Jimmie's interception right away in the 3rd kind of broke SUU's will. Butler is so close to breaking a punt return!

Not much to say about the receiving corps other than they are pretty damn good. Wieneke is a star in the making and it appears that Wesley is getting his poop in a group. I feel a little bad for Schneider because of his production drop off, I feel it's mostly due to losing Sumner...he was Sumner's go to target whereas Lujan appears to target Wieneke.

Lujan did alright, the int in the endzone was terrible but the TD to Wieneke was a dime. Lujan also had a couple nice runs, he is hard to get a straight shot on when he runs.

Zenner was Zenner, Mengarelli had a great game, and I'm glad they are keeping Gandy actively involved with goaline runs. I hope we morph into that Minett/Duffy rotation from a few years ago where 1/4 series we bring in Mengarelli as the feature back to spell Zenner.

The O-line was good, they pushed around SUU without much trouble in the first half. SUU made some adjustments at Half to stack the run, and we didn't adapt to those changes and it showed in the second half. Gregor got blown up a few times in the 2nd half, that was a little surprising to me.

Overall it was a good game and I feel good about the outcome. My biggest complaint is that we had our foot on their throat and didn't go for the kill. We were up 21-0 and leading them 250-60 in yards at half, and only finished with 390 yds and gave up 260. We could've and should've won this game 35/42-0. Good teams win games, great teams go for the kill...we can be a great team.

We have a huge youth movement going on this year with Hassell, T. Carr, Langer, Soulek, Gottlob, Mears, Wieneke, Mengarelli, Ohnesorge, N. Carr, Bobbit, D. Brown and I'll even throw in Lujan. These are all Freshman and Sophomores that are either starting or making major contributions. Our strength this year was suppose to be our veterans and experience...the thing is the veterans (guys like Butler, Forsythe, Lally, Zenner, Schneider, Sherlock, Purcell, Plote, LaBlance, etc.) are playing as good as we thought they would, the young guys are just stepping up.

We should win next week by at least 7 touchdowns, if we don't I will be a little disappointed.

This is is a fantastic recap. Nice work! +1
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                MVFC won every game yesterday except for USD/Montana, and the Yotes were in that most of the way
                UNI also lost in the very late game against Hawaii.

Comment

Not going for the kill has always been a little bit of a problem for our coaching staff. But I won't complain about that dominant performance. Also it's hard to go for the kill when in the last couple games we tried that and it ended up in pick 6's. Lujan is good and I think he is going to get us right where we want to be, but he's still young and is going to make some blunders. Those were some tall DB's that SUU had compared to the other teams we've faced so far. Lujan will get plenty of practice this week. I don't think we can yank him because there just isn't anybody else behind him to play. Which is kind of a scary thought when you cant even pull your starting QB.
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Condensed game:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wioUAzFq26Q
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      UNI also lost in the very late game against Hawaii.
                      Good catch, way past my bedtime. Thanks for the CX

That's a trip the Jacks should consider

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post

Good stuff here. Four impressions (realizing these are highlights).
                        1. Jacks' Fat Boys were really taking it to their Fat Boys. Domination naturally follows when every play essentially begins on the opponent's side of the ball.
                        2. Receiving corps looks like the best the Jacks have ever had.
                        3. If they could get tight ends more incorporated into passing game a very good offense could turn into an elite one.
                        4. Team speed is really noticeable.

Comment

Good stuff here. Four impressions (realizing these are highlights).
                          1. Jacks' Fat Boys were really taking it to their Fat Boys. Domination naturally follows when every play essentially begins on the opponent's side of the ball.
                          2. Receiving corps looks like the best the Jacks have ever had.
                          3. If they could get tight ends more incorporated into passing game a very good offense could turn into an elite one.
                          4. Team speed is really noticeable.
                          Yes, you are right, it was a highlight of the scoring plays and big plays. It shows how important O-line is too a successful drive. I watched much of the webstream and our offensive line really struggled at points, with a lot of missed assignments or just getting "blown up" in the second half.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Southern Illinois put out a Tweet yesterday that said the MVFC was 15-1 against the FCS this year and outscored their opponents 359-148 on Saturday. The conference is just very, very good.

Comment

The Jacks played a great game thru three quarters but needs to put teams away when given the opportunity. The Tbirds made adjustments at half to stop the run. The offense must make adjustments as well. Can we get some TE play from someone, that would help the run and passing game. The Dline of the Tbirds were as tough as any opponent thus far. The heat/altitude/injuries was tough on the Oline by the fourth quarter.

Trey Carr was a highlight reel. A shame the interception for a TD was called back on the penalty by 38 then another penalty by the Senior. Thought the two safeties (1 & 38) had a very below average game again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                                The Jacks played a great game thru three quarters but needs to put teams away when given the opportunity. The Tbirds made adjustments at half to stop the run. The offense must make adjustments as well. Can we get some TE play from someone, that would help the run and passing game. The Dline of the Tbirds were as tough as any opponent thus far. The heat/altitude/injuries was tough on the Oline by the fourth quarter.

Trey Carr was a highlight reel. A shame the interception for a TD was called back on the penalty by 38 then another penalty by the Senior. Thought the two safeties (1 & 38) had a very below average game again.
                                I thought the O line played very well considering they were missing a left tackle.

Jacks looked bigger, faster, and meaner. Both sides of the ball. Is this D - Line better than the Danny B. days?

Trey Carr - you are right. What a highlight reel! -He is just what the Jacks need when they visit those two artificial atmosphere domes.

Comment

Working...
                                X