Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Week 2: Cal Poly

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    I agree. State needs to push the tailgating scene. They're missing out on more fans.
    Rarely am I envious, but having 2 little kids dictates tailgating is not something I can do right now and feel like I am missing a big part of the SDSU football experience. Maybe when they are older that will be am option for us. Or when they dont need afternoon naps at the very least. The couple times I have been up to tailgate, we are just in the Briggs parking lot and had a blast, but that is like an every other year thing its worked out. I am been planting the seed idea that a few friends should start tailgating and making it a new tradition for all of us. Its a slow process but heres hoping.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Do you seriously think the coaching staff should prepare for the chance that the opposing team will not have a backup kicker? Preparing for that scenario (and infinite other unlikely scenarios) seems like a colossal waste of time, especially considering how short-staffed we are...

I'd much rather that time be spent working on covering the triple-option or making sure our backup QB is prepared, but what do I know.
      SDSU called timeout on the kickoff after Cal Poly scored their 3rd touchdown, after they had attempted 2-point conversions and gone for it on 4th down because they had no kicker. Everyone in the place that was paying any attention was thinking about the possibility of an onside kick after that score. If the timeout was taken for that reason it makes me shake my head. Damn near blew the return on the ensuing pooch kickoff. Its a weird deal, that's all I'm saying.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It isn't being advertised, but the Gestapo is increasing it's leniency this year. Notice there were no bull horns for everybody to get into the game. No one was walking and telling us to leave our areas. There was no one after the game yelling for everyone to leave. This is the new policy. The new campus chief is a former Brookings police officer. You can even come out at half time.

Not sure how old your kids are Goon. But mine have been coming since they were 3. Afternoon naps have been taken in the vehicle and in the stands. You've got to commit!

Now what we really need is a jumbotron on the north side of the new fieldhouse, plays highlights, other games, music, etc..
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          SDSU called timeout on the kickoff after Cal Poly scored their 3rd touchdown, after they had attempted 2-point conversions and gone for it on 4th down because they had no kicker. Everyone in the place that was paying any attention was thinking about the possibility of an onside kick after that score. If the timeout was taken for that reason it makes me shake my head. Damn near blew the return on the ensuing pooch kickoff. Its a weird deal, that's all I'm saying.
          Gotcha, and I'm not disagreeing per se.

Devil's advocate, perhaps the coaching staff and players were prepared, but with a big lead and timeout available they wanted to review one more time to avoid a EWU-fake-punt-like special teams error. 11 guys on the field, can't hurt to review to make sure each one understands their assignment. You don't get extra points for having timeouts left at the end of the game.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            It isn't being advertised, but the Gestapo is increasing it's leniency this year. Notice there were no bull horns for everybody to get into the game. No one was walking and telling us to leave our areas. There was no one after the game yelling for everyone to leave. This is the new policy. The new campus chief is a former Brookings police officer. You can even come out at half time.

Not sure how old your kids are Goon. But mine have been coming since they were 3. Afternoon naps have been taken in the vehicle and in the stands. You've got to commit!

Now what we really need is a jumbotron on the north side of the new fieldhouse, plays highlights, other games, music, etc..
            Excellent points. I had a great time Saturday. Was looking online for tickets for the Beef Bowl and there are not many seats available. I think the crowd will by in the 14,000 range it the weather holds up (20,000 by dakotadome standards).
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Oldest just turned 3 in July and the other 9 months.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Devil's advocate, perhaps the coaching staff and players were prepared, but with a big lead and timeout available they wanted to review one more time to avoid a EWU-fake-punt-like special teams error. 11 guys on the field, can't hurt to review to make sure each one understands their assignment. You don't get extra points for having timeouts left at the end of the game.
                I just haven't seen other teams at any level call timeout before the other team kicks off very often. Maybe I'm being hypercritical because of my own belief that our special teams are still not up to snuff. I may be wrong about that too. A win is a win. Need another one this week.

Comment

I actually agree. I only saw a cop drive around our area once and that was right away when we arrived at 1PM. After that, didn't see him. Last year, saw the same cop drive by at least 4,542 times during the season.

We had a dog at our tailgate spot. Pretty sure that isn't allowed per the rules, but he was on a leash and SDSU crew saw him and didn't say anything. He is a nice dog so maybe they could tell.

Did not go out at half time, but we normally do. Someone at our spot got in trouble every single game last year. They kept threatening to do something but never did anything but make the offender dump out his or her beer. Apparently that was not an issue Saturday. Everyone from our group comes back into the game so their concern about people leaving and not coming back isn't an issue.

Beer bottles were not an issue - amazing considering the last run-in we had a couple years ago on the subject.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It's not likely that someone with no kicking experience would be able to execute an effective on-side kick since a lot of regular kickers have trouble doing it. I'm guessing the timeout may have been called to get some more receiver types into the mid-range area when they realized the kickoff probably wouldn't be going as deep as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                      I actually agree. I only saw a cop drive around our area once and that was right away when we arrived at 1PM. After that, didn't see him. Last year, saw the same cop drive by at least 4,542 times during the season.

We had a dog at our tailgate spot. Pretty sure that isn't allowed per the rules, but he was on a leash and SDSU crew saw him and didn't say anything. He is a nice dog so maybe they could tell.

Did not go out at half time, but we normally do. Someone at our spot got in trouble every single game last year. They kept threatening to do something but never did anything but make the offender dump out his or her beer. Apparently that was not an issue Saturday. Everyone from our group comes back into the game so their concern about people leaving and not coming back isn't an issue.

Beer bottles were not an issue - amazing considering the last run-in we had a couple years ago on the subject.
                      If it is in fact against the rules, not cool. You can't talk about casually breaking rules while complaining about police presence in the same post.

If this is the attitude toward police/rules, I can certainly understand why some have had more issues than others.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If it is in fact against the rules, not cool. You can't talk about casually breaking rules while complaining about police presence in the same post.

If this is the attitude toward police/rules, I can certainly understand why some have had more issues than others.
                        I agree, people say the UPD are a pain because they patrol, but KUlawJack's group pretty much were breaking every rule put into place about tailgating with pets/halftime beer/glass bottles. Show the rules some respect and maybe law enforcement will return the favor.

Comment

And Im sure both of you never speed, do a rolling stop, or anything of that nature either. Its not like he was letting of fireworks and letting the dog run rampant and eat peoples food all while KULAWjack was peeing in the middle of the road. Lighten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper 76 View Post
                            And Im sure both of you never speed, do a rolling stop, or anything of that nature either. Its not like he was letting of fireworks and letting the dog run rampant and eat peoples food all while KULAWjack was peeing in the middle of the road. Lighten up.
                            Tailgating isn't for everyone. You and KULawJack are welcome at our site anytime. No glass bottles, not pets, no red clothing, everything else is allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Tailgating isn't for everyone. You and KULawJack are welcome at our site anytime. No glass bottles, not pets, no red clothing, everything else is allowed.
                              There was an allegation of 'peeing in the middle of the road'. Is that on the "no" list or included with "everything else is allowed"?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                There was an allegation of 'peeing in the middle of the road'. Is that on the "no" list or included with "everything else is allowed"?
                                Legitimate question.

Comment

Working...
                                X