Week 2: Cal Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Week 2: Cal Poly

Report from the hometown Cal Poly paper has some info on kicker, but nothing on the DB
    http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/09...9/224/410/679/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Anyone have information on Cal Poly's #21, Chris Fletcher? He was helped off the field after defending a Lujan to Wieneke pass -- looked like a possible knee injury but maybe was an ankle. He's a pretty good DB.

Anyone have information on the nature of the injury to Cal Poly's PAT kicker? I read in the Argus that the reason Poly did not attempt any kicking PATs was the kicker was injured on the one attempt after Poly's first TD. (The ball hit the left upright and bounced out.) Related to that question: the report said Poly traveled with just one kicker. Mrs. JackJD and I were discussing that: does SDSU travel with more than one kicker capable of hitting field goals and PATs?
      syrovatka is is our field goal kicker and Carlson does kick-offs. I'm sure Carlson would do the field goals if syrovatka went down.

Comment

I'm wondering what Coach Stig's practice has been when we had one kicker handling all kicking duties. Saturday, we saw first-hand what happens if you're kicker is injured.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
          syrovatka is is our field goal kicker and Carlson does kick-offs. I'm sure Carlson would do the field goals if syrovatka went down.
          Plus Poly's place kicker is there punter. The Jacks travel with 3 kickers. Syrovatka, Carlson, and Sawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The Jacks use different kickers for kickoffs (Carlson) and FGs (Syrovatka), and Sawyer punts. So they should have plenty of leg depth.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
              Congrats on the win and best of luck the rest of the season. Zenner is something special. I will be pulling for the Jacks to win the MVFC and to make a run in the playoffs.
              Thanks for dropping by and contributing to the game discussion, Stang. Good luck to Cal Poly in the Big Sky.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                Found these on twitter from what looks like a Cal Poly blogger, it's a big photo gallery of the game, lots of good pictures of both teams and the crowd...http://photos.fansmanship.com/Cal-Po...outh/i-8PSMDdx
                Some very good shots in there. I noticed he did capture perfectly Schneider's block on the Poly corner that sprung Weineke's long play if people are interested in reliving that moment, it was on page 6.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

I'm wondering what Coach Stig's practice has been when we had one kicker handling all kicking duties. Saturday, we saw first-hand what happens if you're kicker is injured.
                  I should have asked the question this way: What the heck was Cal Poly's coach thinking by not having a backup placekicker? (I wonder what the practice is among coaches: if teams have one good placekicker, is that a position they're willing to gamble a little and not take a backup on the traveling squad? For kickoffs, they probably have someone on the squad who did some kicking in high school so they could limp through kickoffs but not having a good kicker for extra points or reasonable field-goal attempts can really be a problem.

Comment

Tonight's Jackrabbit Insider should be a good one. Lots of good things for Stig to talk about in the Cal Poly game. I think Cal Poly is a pretty good football team. They've had some tough breaks on suspensions of key people but they still had a lot of talent on the field.

On one play, I think if was mid-way through the fourth quarter, did anyone else notice our #98 Shane Gottlob (DL, Sophomore from Salem) run down one of Poly's running backs? If my eyes were working and the moderate amount of tailgating I had conducted was sufficiently worn off, the guy was amazingly fast -- or, did I get the number wrong? I wish I could watch some select replays.

The Jacks had a number of young guys showing a lot of athletic ability on the field. Nick Mears, Soph from Milbank, was flying all over the place and was very impressive. There are 23 South Dakotans on the roster printed in Saturday's program.

Comment

It was a pretty good game and a great night for football. Could someone tell the TE's to get open, make a block for the running back next game. What happen to Cam Jones? If he is healthy, he is performing very poorly compared to last year prior to injury. Get the TE working and the Jacks will roll.

Comment

Tonight's Jackrabbit Insider should be a good one. Lots of good things for Stig to talk about in the Cal Poly game. I think Cal Poly is a pretty good football team. They've had some tough breaks on suspensions of key people but they still had a lot of talent on the field.

On one play, I think if was mid-way through the fourth quarter, did anyone else notice our #98 Shane Gottlob (DL, Sophomore from Salem) run down one of Poly's running backs? If my eyes were working and the moderate amount of tailgating I had conducted was sufficiently worn off, the guy was amazingly fast -- or, did I get the number wrong? I wish I could watch some select replays.

The Jacks had a number of young guys showing a lot of athletic ability on the field. Nick Mears, Soph from Milbank, was flying all over the place and was very impressive. There are 23 South Dakotans on the roster printed in Saturday's program.
                        I think 98 is right. He was chasing the RB and completely laid out and clipped the feet and dropped the RB for a loss. A pretty good play!
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I don't know if it's been mentioned in here or not, but I was really impressed with our backup running back, #44 Brady Mengarelli.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Yes, # 98 Gottlieb looked good and has excellent speed. Also, I think we have a number of redshirt freshmen who could be all conference players at some point in their career - i.e. Soulek, Mangarelli, Wienke, Orneschke # 62). I would hope these performances will help decrease some of the questions about the recruiting.

Comment

The program has the name spelling for 98 as "Gottlob". From what I saw Saturday, I'd say there's a probability that by season end we'll see his name in print many times. The program lists him at 6-5, 270 and he looked running-back fast.

Comment

The program has the name spelling for 98 as "Gottlob". From what I saw Saturday, I'd say there's a probability that by season end we'll see his name in print many times. The program lists him at 6-5, 270 and he looked running-back fast.
                                Between him, Langer, and Soulek, the interior of our D line looks set for a few years, not even counting any young talent currently red shirting. Good to see.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X