Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Season

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I can only speak for myself in saying I did not know and I have only the judgment of Coach Stig to rely on. If this guy can stop John Crockett and other Rb dead in their tracks, this incident will quickly be forgotten.
    And that's my issue.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

It's a second chance for the kid. I'm taking it just like when Cody Larson joined the Basketball team with his past encounters with the law. If he messes up off the field and gets in himself in trouble, he's off the team imo. The charges against him are being dropped or minimized so i'm wondering how serious it was. There are a lot of missing facts that no one is being told. Glad he's on the team and best of luck to him....

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros;255855]I can only speak for myself in saying I did not know and I have only the judgment of Coach Stig to rely on. If this guy can stop John Crockett and other Rb dead in their tracks, this incident will quickly be forgotten.[/QUOTE]

Not here if it is a serious allegation.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
          It's a second chance for the kid. I'm taking it just like when Cody Larson joined the Basketball team with his past encounters with the law. If he messes up off the field and gets in himself in trouble, he's off the team imo. The charges against him are being dropped or minimized so i'm wondering how serious it was. There are a lot of missing facts that no one is being told. Glad he's on the team and best of luck to him....
          I don't pretend to know the details. I looked and couldn't find any. We don't know for sure if the charges will actually be dropped/lowered, but I really don't think this is similar to Cody Larson. Domestic battery is entirely different from misdemeanor criminal trespassing, which is what Cody was charged with.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I don't pretend to know the details. I looked and couldn't find any. We don't know for sure if the charges will actually be dropped/lowered, but I really don't think this is similar to Cody Larson. Domestic battery is entirely different from misdemeanor criminal trespassing, which is what Cody was charged with.
            "In our search and in talking to their coaching staff (the charge) is going to be dropped or minimized," Stiegelmeier said. "But because of their student code they were going to make it really tough for him (to return.)" In regards to the comparison with Cody Larson it was more so in terms of character and off the field/court issues. Everyone makes mistakes in life. The coaching staff knows what they are doing. I don't believe they would bring him in if his head isn't on right.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2014/08/09/sports-briefs-talcott-fires-lead-state-amateur/13819079/

Comment

The Jacks coaching staff and team both have a very high % of outstanding character individuals. Seems like an environment that could help bring out the best in this young man.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                "In our search and in talking to their coaching staff (the charge) is going to be dropped or minimized," Stiegelmeier said. "But because of their student code they were going to make it really tough for him (to return.)" In regards to the comparison with Cody Larson it was more so in terms of character and off the field/court issues. Everyone makes mistakes in life. The coaching staff knows what they are doing. I don't believe they would bring him in if his head isn't on right.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2014/08/09/sports-briefs-talcott-fires-lead-state-amateur/13819079/
                Thank you; I've already read that twice. If they don't whether the charge will be dropped or minimized (as in, we're not which one it will be) then how can they know it will be reduced at all? Our coaches talking to their coaches is not something that sounds concrete when it comes to legal charges.

Comment

I assumed the staff knew. Ijust meant were fans aware of this? Cause reading the TV's article was thefirst I'd heard of it.

Let's assume no fans were aware. (I think you are not suggesting fan permission should have been obtained before the signing -- tell me if I'm wrong on that.) I think your concern is one that I hope most everyone shares: we don't want to start attracting athletes who are problems just because they may help us get a winning record. But, come on, does anyone think Stig is dropping his standards by this signing? There's no evidence of that and until we have reason to believe there’s a significant change in approach, Stig and his staff continue to merit our support. I’m not questioning this signing without some evidence.

I spent a few minutes looking for information on the internet about Hazelett's arrest. It appears the arrest occurred this summer but there is very little information available. Journalists in recent times have not been shy about reporting cases in which athletes act badly (and I applaud the journalists for doing that – makes me proud of my degree in journalism) and the lack of news in this case suggests to me the possibility that it was not an egregious assault case. (Now, before anyone jumps all over me about domestic assault is always serious etc., the fact is: there ARE varying degrees of assault and every case is unique. I do not lump all assault cases together and all one needs to do is spend a little time in criminal courts and you'll realize there are different levels of assault and each case requires careful consideration when it comes to punishment.)

Don’t automatically assume this assault involves a male athlete assaulting a female (we do not know if this case is like the recent news about the NFL player who assaulted his fiancé, now wife, and was sanctioned by a two-game suspension from the NFL). Domestic assault in Illinois can include, for example, a male punching their male roommate. (Were all the readers of this message board fortunate enough to not have a single bad roommate?)

Comment

Thank you; I've already read that twice. If they don't whether the charge will be dropped or minimized (as in, we're not which one it will be) then how can they know it will be reduced at all? Our coaches talking to their coaches is not something that sounds concrete when it comes to legal charges.
                    It's not uncommon for the prosecuting and defense attorneys to discuss a case and give indications that a case will be dismissed or the charge reduced. Case in point: recent case my office was involved in was reduced from a simple assault to disorderly conduct. Another assault case was dismissed altogether. In both cases, we knew the direction the cases were going and the prosecutors had to get the victim's okay before the cases were resolved.

SDSU's coaching staff consulting with NIU's coaching staff was important to me. It would have been very easy for the NIU staff to tell the SDSU staff: stay away from this kid.

Comment

Here's the information that appeared in the media (Northern Star online)-- this is from the police blotter of the DeKalb IL police dept. Domestic battery is not defined in the report.

June 28
                      • At 1:05 a.m., Cody Hazelett, 20, of DeKalb, was arrested for domestic battery reported to have occurred at 1315 W. Lincoln Highway.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Let's assume no fans were aware. (I think you are not suggesting fan permission should have been obtained before the signing -- tell me if I'm wrong on that.) I think your concern is one that I hope most everyone shares: we don't want to start attracting athletes who are problems just because they may help us get a winning record. But, come on, does anyone think Stig is dropping his standards by this signing? There's no evidence of that and until we have reason to believe there’s a significant change in approach, Stig and his staff continue to merit our support. I’m not questioning this signing without some evidence.

I spent a few minutes looking for information on the internet about Hazelett's arrest. It appears the arrest occurred this summer but there is very little information available. Journalists in recent times have not been shy about reporting cases in which athletes act badly (and I applaud the journalists for doing that – makes me proud of my degree in journalism) and the lack of news in this case suggests to me the possibility that it was not an egregious assault case. (Now, before anyone jumps all over me about domestic assault is always serious etc., the fact is: there ARE varying degrees of assault and every case is unique. I do not lump all assault cases together and all one needs to do is spend a little time in criminal courts and you'll realize there are different levels of assault and each case requires careful consideration when it comes to punishment.)

Don’t automatically assume this assault involves a male athlete assaulting a female (we do not know if this case is like the recent news about the NFL player who assaulted his fiancé, now wife, and was sanctioned by a two-game suspension from the NFL). Domestic assault in Illinois can include, for example, a male punching their male roommate. (Were all the readers of this message board fortunate enough to not have a single bad roommate?)

My curiosity was just that I didn't hear about it when the transfer was originally announced and was wondering if that was because I missed it or because no one knew. I also looked online and found the exact same information as you did: very little. That's why I have tried to make as few assumptions as possible in my thread.

Comment

Accusations are not convictions.

Arrests are not verdicts.

Look up the case Caleb Warner and his travails at the University of North Dakota.

I have no idea if Hazelett's situation is anything like Warner's, but again, I don't think anybody else posting here does either.

I counsel caution in making judgments either way.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Terry Vandrovec's Five questions: Jacks have playmakers, but what about depth? in today's Argus Leader:

"In five falls, South Dakota State has transformed from an FCS newcomer seeking its first playoff berth into something of a postseason regular. And this season the Jackrabbits – in addition to being seasoned by consecutive second-round appearances – return a trio of offensive stars to anchor their roster.
                            Accordingly, expectations are high – they've been tabbed second in the Missouri Valley Football Conference and 10th in the FCS Coaches and Media polls.
                            Might this be the year the Rabbits run deep into December?..."

read more at:
                            http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...epth/13854981/

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Accusations are not convictions.

Arrests are not verdicts.

Look up the case Caleb Warner and his travails at the University of North Dakota.

I have no idea if Hazelett's situation is anything like Warner's, but again, I don't think anybody else posting here does either.

I counsel caution in making judgments either way.
                              Excellent points. We fans need to let this play out. I got a feeling we have a very talented individual who just might make a difference about Nov 1. He will need some time to learn our schemes. I thought I read that he played in all 12 games last year.

Comment

Looking at the schedule (i'm bypassing all this armchair lawyer convo) and going to what matters: Armchair Coaching! It's incredible to see Cal Poly as a MUST WIN GAME the 2nd game of the year. I'm marking Mizzou as a loss simply because we have yet to beat an FBS team. I think Zenner and Sumner will do some good things there, but our depth and the growing list of injuries and departures in those already thin areas is worrisome. That UW Oshkosh game is just awful to have on our schedule simply because they don't count for $%*T!!!!! UNI and NDSU both at their house will be very difficult. Make no bones about it we have a very slim margin of error this year! So if you love early season drama and intrigue that Cal Poly game is as important as any game we've ever had at CAS, start getting fans on board now for showing up and getting rowdy!

Mizzou L (but I still believe in 1-0)
                                Calpoly ?
                                Southern Utah W
                                UW Oshkosh Doesn't Count for crap
                                Ill St W
                                Mizz State W
                                UNI ?
                                YSU W
                                NDSU ? (We will know a lot about this NDSU team by the time it's played)
                                Ind State W
                                WIU W
                                USD W
                                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                                X