Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruiting List

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
    I think what he was trying to say is it is the correct way for SDSU to go about implementing FCOA. They have always taken the slow and calculated approach to getting things done. The new stadium took a very long time because they went through all of the necessary steps in terms of BOR approval and finding funding before they made any big news conference or announcement of it. This is not the way NDSU or USD do it. NDSU is different because they have the financial support to do things big and bold and get away with it. USD's announcement of FCOA was followed by questions of how they would fund it, and they had some very vague answers. Just like how the hiring of Nielson and the multi year contract deal was handled, they make news over something and then deal with it afterwards. That is just not how SDSU operates.
    I can see that...especially with how USD is operating. I do think the slow method is hurting SDSU...no, I can't prove anything...just a feeling. Is there anything SDSU could have done? I don't know. On this issue SDSU is not a leader...but took a wait and see approach (maybe there just was no other way). My opinion is they didn't try hard enough to make it happen right away.

Word I've heard is SDSU will go full FCOA next year...we will see. If it is just one year, I don't know if it will be that big of a setback.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
      I think what he was trying to say is it is the correct way for SDSU to go about implementing FCOA. They have always taken the slow and calculated approach to getting things done. The new stadium took a very long time because they went through all of the necessary steps in terms of BOR approval and finding funding before they made any big news conference or announcement of it. This is not the way NDSU or USD do it. NDSU is different because they have the financial support to do things big and bold and get away with it. USD's announcement of FCOA was followed by questions of how they would fund it, and they had some very vague answers. Just like how the hiring of Nielson and the multi year contract deal was handled, they make news over something and then deal with it afterwards. That is just not how SDSU operates.
      It may hurt team chemistry, but in FCS there are already varying degrees of scholarships already...so it isn't like everybody is on the same level anyway...so it might not be an issue. Personally, I hope it hurts team chemistry...at least for one (possibly two) games a year.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
        What I don’t like is how our admin kept it a secret and offered FCOA to some players and not to others. Shouldn’t it be fair to the players to get the same amount? What happens when they are on campus this fall and some find out they received FCOA and others did not. This could hurt team chemistry. Maybe they will not care and look at it the same as lower divisions when some players get a full scholarship and others get a percentage. I guess I would be a little upset if I was not told about it and some of my peers were receiving this extra benefit. It is almost like giving a bonus check to certain employees and just not telling the others that only certain people received it.
        At the FCS level, we also give partial scholarships, so some players already receive less than others.

Edit: should have kept reading to see TAB addressed this.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Learn something new every day. I thought it had to be full or none, my mistake on that.

Comment

Learn something new every day. I thought it had to be full or none, my mistake on that.
            Football at FCS is 63 scholarships that can be spread out over 85 players.

Comment

That's for FBS. FCS can distribute/split 63 schollies between more than 63 players.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                That's for FBS. FCS can distribute/split 63 schollies between more than 63 players.
                TAB do you have any idea how many of NDSU fb players would be on a full scholly? Just curious?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  TAB do you have any idea how many of NDSU fb players would be on a full scholly? Just curious?
                  No clue at all...I'm not that much in the know. I wouldn't even have a guess...sorry.

Comment

No clue at all...I'm not that much in the know. I wouldn't even have a guess...sorry.
                    Oh well, I don't have a clue what we have either just have always been curious.

Comment

What I don’t like is how our admin kept it a secret and offered FCOA to some players and not to others. Shouldn’t it be fair to the players to get the same amount? What happens when they are on campus this fall and some find out they received FCOA and others did not. This could hurt team chemistry. Maybe they will not care and look at it the same as lower divisions when some players get a full scholarship and others get a percentage. I guess I would be a little upset if I was not told about it and some of my peers were receiving this extra benefit. It is almost like giving a bonus check to certain employees and just not telling the others that only certain people received it.
                      That was my initial wariness as well, upon learning that some are recieving FCOA, and others are not.

I also did not take into account, as others have mentioned, that there are already varying levels anyway (of scholorships) so maybe it won't be as big a deal as I was afraid of.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

No, it was calling out somebody who was flat out wrong. He was puffing out his own chest making it sound like the way the Jacks doing it is THE way to do it...not the only way they CAN do it. Jacks fans can come off as acting superior...and that can come off as the little dog barking at the big dog thinking he is so good.

USD hasn't done much...but they are showing signs of really trying to strengthen their program. They went after a coach they wanted and made it happen...even going against the grain to try and get a multi-year contract (who knows how this will turn out...have to wait and see). They also got on the FCOA right away...they are commited. We will see where they end up...but as of right now they are making attempts. And what do they have to pound their chest about? Well, they are offering something you aren't...and it is a smart move to let people know it.

We can discuss things and call each other out...it doesn't need to be considered smack...just take a step back and look at some of the posts as an outsider would. It isn't like I'm defending Bisonville and don't admit to faults the Bison fans have.
                        I think you are completely misunderstanding how Jackrabbit fans feel about this. Typical Bison fan with a chip on your shoulder. Nobody is taking anything away from you, our athletic department is acting in a responsible manner and offering as much as possible as soon as possible. Same as yours. What's the problem again?

Also, LOL at the USD moral victories. They are trying really, really hard.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                          Two deep on both sides of ball would equal 44, and add maybe a punter and a kicker and you up to 46 leaving 17 to split among the rest. I don't think they do anything different at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            I think you are completely misunderstanding how Jackrabbit fans feel about this. Typical Bison fan with a chip on your shoulder. Nobody is taking anything away from you, our athletic department is acting in a responsible manner and offering as much as possible as soon as possible. Same as yours. What's the problem again?

Also, LOL at the USD moral victories. They are trying really, really hard.
                            Maybe I am misunderstanding Jacks fans...my apologies if I did.

As for USD moral victories...laugh all you want but them trying this hard is a concern. If they ever get to replace that dome of theirs...

Comment

Maybe I am misunderstanding Jacks fans...my apologies if I did.

As for USD moral victories...laugh all you want but them trying this hard is a concern. If they ever get to replace that dome of theirs...
                              Yeah but they think the dome is good and an asset. They like but I would be concerned with its capacity. if you can only ever get 9K in for a game at the most, thats pretty limiting. But really thats like maybe 1 game a year maybe. Atleast they wont have to play basketball in there ever again. I have a hard time understanding how they ever got basketball recruits with that as their facility. Cant imagine many would actually be impressed with that. guess thats a testiment to the coaches to get the guys they would get.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

****Contributing to thread drift***** (Bad Mod, Bad ) Did USD ever add permanent seating to the west side? If not, they could readily add seating and be a virtual clone to the UNI-dome for capacity. Having a hand (literally) in the construction of the DakotaDome back in the 70's, I had to do a compare/contrast of the UNI vs Dakota Domes, especially the fiberglass roofing system then popular.

Hope Jacks Coaches are happy with the signees for 2016....

Comment

Working...
                                X