Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruiting List

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    I have deleted several posts from this afternoon and early evening, which had little to do with the actual topic, starting with a post by Cousin Eddie, a USD visitor.

Personal note to Cousin Eddie: I had suggested earlier that a discussion about whether SDSU should have a business school could be a topic for a separate thread. The potential for that topic interfering with the main topic was obvious. When you wrote "Where is that new thread, @JackJD?", you were taking a shot at me. That was dumb. You were on this board to simply stir up trouble. For that, I pose a trivia question under the category Music, sub-category, Jazz: What song, composed by Paul Desmond, was the top track on the 1959 album “Time Out” by the Dave Brubeck Quartet? (Answer: "Take Five". Eddie needs a break from this board.)

Everyone: Let’s keep this thread on topic. If some want to have a discussion about a business school, feel free to do so in a separate thread. All the usual board rules apply.
    I prefer "Blue Rondo ala Turk", myself.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Did Zim report what type of pens these guys were using to sign their NLOI? Are we signing more Bic recruits or InkJoy recruits? Any fountain pens? How is it almost 10:30 and we don't know this yet? Not real surprised by the lazy reporting. Correction: lack of reporting.
      Which would be superfluous, considering it's all done with e-mails and e-signatures now.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        I'm not sure what people want from Zimmer anymore. Guy does a good job and really writes in a "homerless" fashion in my opinion. If you want TV back or maybe you can get a job working for him out at Sanford I don't know. Let's be done with the pot shots directed at the guy simply doing his job. Maybe Zimmer can come down to where you work and critique you for a day. That's really more energy than I wanted to spend on this subject.
        It's just disappointing for a D1 school that more isn't done in this area. NDSU is and has been way ahead of us in this area for years.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
          It's just disappointing for a D1 school that more isn't done in this area. NDSU is and has been way ahead of us in this area for years.
          First of all the argus does fine, just fine, better than most schools their size. Zimmer does a good job, better than many.

As for NDSU I don't know what you are getting at that they do better? Being in Fargo has some advantages, obviously when the paper can walk to campus they will do a better job, they also have television networks that can do the same as well. That is the whole apples-oranges thing between NDSU and SDSU; the media is in the same city, therefore they can do more.

I still think if SDSU wanted to do more they could, they could hire someone similar to Tyler who worked for them, in which they could publish the articles on Gojacks, and then get them into the local papers as well. But I don't understand that business so its easy for me, and you to say this is what should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            First of all the argus does fine, just fine, better than most schools their size. Zimmer does a good job, better than many.

As for NDSU I don't know what you are getting at that they do better? Being in Fargo has some advantages, obviously when the paper can walk to campus they will do a better job, they also have television networks that can do the same as well. That is the whole apples-oranges thing between NDSU and SDSU; the media is in the same city, therefore they can do more.

I still think if SDSU wanted to do more they could, they could hire someone similar to Tyler who worked for them, in which they could publish the articles on Gojacks, and then get them into the local papers as well. But I don't understand that business so its easy for me, and you to say this is what should be done.
            I agree that NDSU is ahead of SDSU in that area and has been for years, but NDSU has also won FIVE STRAIGHT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. That generates a pretty good amount of reader interest. You can tell when SDSU makes the playoffs (or NCAA Tournament in basketball) because the Argus suddenly has 1-2 articles per day coming out covering the Jacks. It would make sense that if your program is so good you're constantly in the conversation (nationally) as a National Championship contender starting on opening day of the season, the community is going to want to read about your team and your local news is going to dig and mine for any angle on any story they can just to keep the readers satisfied.

Also, NDSU's competition for coverage has been a fledgling Moorhead program that is just starting to become competitive in all sports and the mighty Cobbers of Concordia-Moorhead. SDSU competes for coverage with USD, Augie, USF, the Skyforce, the Storm, the Stampede...a little more real estate to share here than up north.

I guarantee if SDSU becomes a legitimate (and consistent) national title contender in the next few years, the Argus will be covering you guys even more than they already are (which, to be clear, is a very reasonable amount).

With Christion and the increasingly strong recruiting classes like this year's, maybe they'll get there sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              I'm not sure what people want from Zimmer anymore. Guy does a good job and really writes in a "homerless" fashion in my opinion. If you want TV back or maybe you can get a job working for him out at Sanford I don't know. Let's be done with the pot shots directed at the guy simply doing his job. Maybe Zimmer can come down to where you work and critique you for a day. That's really more energy than I wanted to spend on this subject.
              I'm just glad Zimmer has thicker skin than many on here. Zimmer by his own admission does not enjoy covering the recruiting process. I get that, but it certainly comes with the job and really comes across when he has no meaningful knowledge of the players the Jacks are signing today when the information has been out there for months. To have people go over to the Argus and suck up to him and apologize for critical comments made on here is ridiculous. I realize Terry is gone, but he came to signing day prepared as do many beat writers and media who are "paid" to follow the teams and recruiting process. I love Zimmer's writing style and what he is doing as the beat writer. IMHO his attention to recruiting falls well short. If you think he is doing fine so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                Tanner Hawthorne OT committed to Purdue
                https://twitter.com/TannerH52/status/694918889784877057
                Alex Cloyd, TE did sign w/ UND.
                Dante Cleveland, DE signed w/ Central Michigan.

Comment

Assuming these are PWOs.

@GoJacksFB Welcome Austin Barrett to the Jackrabbit football family! #NSD2016 #SoDakJACKS
                  Austin Barrett, DE out of Douglas HS.
                  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4669040/austin-barrett

@GoJacksFB Welcome @burmeister34 to the Jackrabbit football family! #NSD2016
                  Patrick Burmeister, WR.
                  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3870391/patrick-burmeister

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Assuming these are PWOs.

@GoJacksFB Welcome Austin Barrett to the Jackrabbit football family! #NSD2016 #SoDakJACKS
                    Austin Barrett, DE out of Douglas HS.
                    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4669040/austin-barrett

@GoJacksFB Welcome @burmeister34 to the Jackrabbit football family! #NSD2016
                    Patrick Burmeister, WR.
                    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3870391/patrick-burmeister
                    Barrett from Douglas is very athletic and has the frame/look of an Division 1 player. When Douglas played in Brookings this past fall, he stood out on their squad in what was not much of a game competitiveley. If I recall correctly, he played TE/WR (split out quite a bit) as well as on defense for Douglas.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=210678907

Comment

Offensive coaches have to be excited about the possibilities of setting up a screen pass to Tolu in the flat and letting his speed and power take over!
                        Watching Mulholland's speed and vision disappointed we will not see him at running back, but anxious to see him use that speed a linebacker. That has to biggest
                        surprise for me is that he will not play running back.
                        Last edited by JACKGUYII; 02-03-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Zim article.
                          http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...lass/79766010/

Quote that stood out.
                          "Late in the recruiting process the program was approved to offer cost of attendance money to some recruits. Stiegelmeier suggested that was done so on a largely case-by-case basis, but it sounds as though they’ll be offering full cost of attendance (as NDSU and USD do) sooner than later."

Comment

In standard Bulldog fashion, another claim that SDSU is failing. The bottom line is today was an opportunity for Bulldog to tell us about how great the NW Iowa players are that we signed today and how we should be excited as the number is significant compared to years past. Instead, we get the old NDSU this and that. It is a tired act, a one note song that is stuck... What is stopping you from posting something positive about these NW Iowa players? If you are truly believe SDSU has missed a bunch of great players in NW Iowa, tell us about these new players and why the fans should be excited.

Also, our football team is a consistent top tier FCS team and the Summit League SDSU sports have won three straight commissioner's cup awards. Things are not falling apart, even if we have missed a player or two from NW Iowa.

Comment

*deleted by filbert*
                              Last edited by filbert; 02-03-2016, 02:29 PM. Reason: beware
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I've been around several boys going through the recruiting process. They love going to college where there are no NFL team to support because people go to the games. While Fargo isn't every kids dream location and they have their fair share of struggles getting kids to appreciate the locale. But what I will say is a difference maker for many of the boys are the locals pull out the stops for their team and when you walk on campus the boys can't not feel it. Season tickets are sold. Tailgating is an event at NDSU. Every lawn is green and gold. Every business is decked out. Posters are everywhere. It is a local cult and they are proud. At camps there are well over 1000 kids and when you walk into a diner for breakfast during summer camp the locals will walk up to you and show you their Bison tattoos and grandma gives you a hug plugging her fav players and wanting pictures of you if you look like a football player they want locally. Locals know you are target, they stalk you. The team does a ton of volunteer work and I can't tell you how many people show up for all ofit. I've seen it first hand a few times now and it is something and recruits are impressed. Kids see themselves in lights and local celebrity isn't terrible. Actually, Montana has that same feel too locally but on a smaller scale and no NFL team.

News stories are nice but some of these teams have the local flair and viral recruiting thing down. SDSU has shown up to heavily recruit from what I am hearing from the local coaches, the facilities will be new and I think has the greatest upside in their conference. Just my opinion. They can do a ton with this and I am excited to see what SDSU can do from a marketing and local support perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X