Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruiting List

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Is this the commit from Illinois that was mentioned last week that no one could figure out ?
    I'm guessing this is a different one. The other verbal was from before just yesterday when Darshon committed. I'm curious to see who the unknowns are. Chances are that we may not know until signing day...too long of a wait for me. I have been a supporter of Zimmer thus far, but his lack of interest in recruiting has made me change my mind. A full time beat writer (I would hope) would know of a few more commitments. Sigh
    Last edited by Jacked4Days; 07-15-2015, 12:45 AM.
    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
      I'm guessing this is a different one. The other verbal was from before just yesterday when Darshaun committed. I'm curious to see who the unknowns are. Chances are that we may not know until signing day...too long of a wait for me. I have been a supporter of Zimmer thus far, but his lack of interest in recruiting has made me change my mind. A full time beat writer (I would hope) would know of a few more commitments. Sigh
      Pretty much my sentiment as well. I really enjoy Zimmer's writing style, but his lack of reporting on recruiting just isn't acceptable for a beat writer of a D1 university.

Hope the Argus Leader hires a young, driven individual who is skilled at navigating new media for the SDSU beat.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        Pretty much my sentiment as well. I really enjoy Zimmer's writing style, but his lack of reporting on recruiting just isn't acceptable for a beat writer of a D1 university.

Hope the Argus Leader hires a young, driven individual who is skilled at navigating new media for the SDSU beat.
        Totally agree that staying on top of recruiting should be a prerequisite for full time beat writer. Terry seemed to really enjoy that part of the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

I like Zimmer as well, but this is something the Argus has asked him to cover, my guess is something he didnt volunteer to cover, and I think it shows in the writing/coverage.
          TV always had SOMETHING on a weeklybasis, now we will go weeks without as much as a sentance.

I would hope the Argus takes notice that there is more than adequate demand for extended coverage of the Jacks. I think there is an opportunity for a TV station/news outlet or an individual that could start their own outlet of coverage of the Jacks. It works for many D1 schools and someone can make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
            I like Zimmer as well, but this is something the Argus has asked him to cover, my guess is something he didnt volunteer to cover, and I think it shows in the writing/coverage.
            TV always had SOMETHING on a weeklybasis, now we will go weeks without as much as a sentance.

I would hope the Argus takes notice that there is more than adequate demand for extended coverage of the Jacks. I think there is an opportunity for a TV station/news outlet or an individual that could start their own outlet of coverage of the Jacks. It works for many D1 schools and someone can make it work.
            As of late, Zimmer has said he would like to be the SDSU beat writer.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post

I believe Matt just got off a vacation. And there really isn't much to report during the summer regarding SDSU, I know there were weeks Terry didn't have anything either.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                I believe Matt just got off a vacation. And there really isn't much to report during the summer regarding SDSU, I know there were weeks Terry didn't have anything either.
                No. You're doing it all wrong. Anytime anything Zimmer is brought up, this is supposed to be your reaction:

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Dom Izzo the WDAY-TV in Fargo is doing a 100 day countdown on Bison Facts. Keep in mind WDAY lost the NDSU radio and TV rights 10 years ago. They will finally get to cover a Bison game via radio as they do the UND games.

He and Jeff Kolpack, do very consistent video blogs, with all the position groups and top 15 players to watch. The SF Argus needs to step their game up for the Jacks as TV was top-notch. Granted TV is a Bison fan at heart as he has stated on video blogs up here.

Comment

It's not just the coverage of recruiting that is lacking, it's coverage of SDSU football. Go back to the Spring football thread and the lack of football news from Zimmer. I sure hope the Argus hires someone soon to cover SDSU athletics because right now it is very poor. Zimmer rather spent time on other sports, D2, Twins, Vikings and other news.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                      Dom Izzo the WDAY-TV in Fargo is doing a 100 day countdown on Bison Facts. Keep in mind WDAY lost the NDSU radio and TV rights 10 years ago. They will finally get to cover a Bison game via radio as they do the UND games.

He and Jeff Kolpack, do very consistent video blogs, with all the position groups and top 15 players to watch. The SF Argus needs to step their game up for the Jacks as TV was top-notch. Granted TV is a Bison fan at heart as he has stated on video blogs up here.
                      Oh for sure, Zimmer does need to step his game up because TV spoiled us but I think he also deserves a little bit of time off since he's basically been covering three teams since TV left, and the best time for that comes in the summer. I don't think Zimmer has caught on to the social media trend has much as TV and the guys in Fargo have. He does tweet a lot but he hasn't picked up on the other things (Videos, his blog isn't as active as TV's was, etc). I think he's still trying to find his groove with the SDSU beat and it will be a lot easier for him to do that once they higher another person that can take Augie and USF off his plate.

Comment

It will be hard for Zimmer to match TV's drive and passion ,him or Mick for that matter.Hope there's another like him (TV) waiting for a good job.Miss TV's extra's like his audio segment where he interviewed guests.We said it would be hard to get over TV leaving as beat writer, and it is. Don't care for 100 eyes format (informal chatting or discussion between two people),like the more professional approach like Terry did,Q&A Guest/Host interviewer format.That's just a matter of personal taste I guess.Anyway,FULL time SDSU beat writer is the operative word here.

Comment

I don't think TV ever went weeks without reporting something in print or online. Sometimes he would time-release tidbits to cover for when he was gone. There's always something to report about football. Spring and summer practice. Recruiting. Pro try-outs. Facilities. Coaching changes. TV built up a strong following for all the major sports. The best-case scenario is that MZ or whoever officially takes over the SDSU beat will have the opportunity to rebuild that following in his/her own way. I hope the Argus Leader doesn't waste the opportunity by not giving the beat writer enough time to do a good job.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            I don't think TV ever went weeks without reporting something in print or online. Sometimes he would time-release tidbits to cover for when he was gone. There's always something to report about football. Spring and summer practice. Recruiting. Pro try-outs. Facilities. Coaching changes. TV built up a strong following for all the major sports. The best-case scenario is that MZ or whoever officially takes over the SDSU beat will have the opportunity to rebuild that following in his/her own way. I hope the Argus Leader doesn't waste the opportunity by not giving the beat writer enough time to do a good job.
                            I agree with this. Not a knock on Zimmer but I used to check the Argus daily to see if there was new content. After TV left I went from checking daily, to every other day, to maybe twice a week. Now I hardly check at all. Zimmer's blog the other day was the first time i pulled up the Argus to view sports in over two months. It's just not new news anymore. The Argus has really dropped the ball on providing good sports content since they switched from Gannett to USA today. I hope they can recover, I remember reading TV's blog every Tuesday when I was still in the dorms at SDSU.

Also, when Terry would go on vacation he would always indicate that in his blog prior to his absence, obviously not a requirement, but certainly nice. I almost started a thread here a couple of weeks ago bringing up the lack of news from the Argus wondering if Zimmer had been taken off the SDSU beat.

Comment

Back to recruiting Coach Jackson tweeted the 8th commitment is in and he is special. That may be Darshon, but seems we are missing a few names.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                                I agree with this. Not a knock on Zimmer but I used to check the Argus daily to see if there was new content. After TV left I went from checking daily, to every other day, to maybe twice a week. Now I hardly check at all. Zimmer's blog the other day was the first time i pulled up the Argus to view sports in over two months. It's just not new news anymore. The Argus has really dropped the ball on providing good sports content since they switched from Gannett to USA today. I hope they can recover, I remember reading TV's blog every Tuesday when I was still in the dorms at SDSU.

Also, when Terry would go on vacation he would always indicate that in his blog prior to his absence, obviously not a requirement, but certainly nice. I almost started a thread here a couple of weeks ago bringing up the lack of news from the Argus wondering if Zimmer had been taken off the SDSU beat.

FWIW, I'm 90% sure MZ is not the offical beat writer for SDSU yet, and I think we should call off the dogs a bit since this is not the case.

also USA Today is a Gannet company.

Comment

Working...
                                X