2016 Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruiting List

Where have we seen this before? Tall, athletic wide receiver from Twin Cities who can catch the ball in traffic and makes all catches with hands. Doesn't seem extremely quick or fast, but runs good routes, can make separation and he does not fear contact. With some maturity he could be one of those physical WRs who causes matchup problems because of his size.

WR - Sean Engel, 6'5" 202, Chaska, MN - HUDL
    Offers: Southern Illinois, USD

Comment

Another big framed kid for up front. While I'm not a professional analyst, he appears more of a technique blocker than a mauler.

OT - Bennett Helgren, 6'6" 285, Edina, MN - HUDL
      Offers - USD, UND

Comment

We haven't had as much success out of Florida as say Arizona or Illinois, but here's a safety that we've reportedly made an offer to.

Safety - Qua Brown, 6'0" 185, Orange City, FL (University HS) - HUDL
        Offers: Bethune-Cookman, Charleston Southern, Monmouth, NC Central, Temple, Tenn-Martin

Comment

Two-Star corner from Florida with an offer.

DB - Trevor Merritt**, 5'10" 186, Viera, FL - HUDL
          Offers: Bethune-Cookman, Florida A&M, Florida International, Idaho, Monmouth, Southern Alabama, Tennessee State

Comment

Curious if we offered him after seeing his speed or after UNI offered? This kid won both the 110m hurdles and the long jump at the Howard Wood Relays this year. He reports having a 4.43 forty on his HUDL page.

WR - Isaiah Weston, 6'4" 190, Albertville, MN (St. Michael Albertville) - HUDL
            Offers: UNI

Comment

Who do you perceive to be our top competitor for recruits in conference this year? Year-in, year-out the obvious guess is NDSU. We recruit the same geographic portions of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. While UNI and USD fit this same geographic area, NDSU has always been the team to recruit against. USD has not been as aggressive early on in the past and has always seemed more interested in finding the best recruits they can out of California, Florida, Nebraska, Illinois, and Iowa. That appears to be changing this year.

After reviewing Jackrabbit offers to this year's class, the top four conference competitors are:

USD - 22 competing offers
              UNI - 16 offers
              Western Illinois - 13 offers
              NDSU - 10 offers

Maybe it is just an off year - statistics always have anomalies.

What I find interesting is that NDSU is not extending as many early offers as their peer group. According to Bisonation, they only have 20 offers on the table thus far. Wisconsin leads the way with 4 offers. Two offers have been extended in Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, California, and Florida from the Bison. By contrast, we have 2 verbal commitments, 55 pending offers, and 8 offers were the young man committed elsewhere. Maybe NDSU can afford to be selective in their early offers. Maybe the competition (including SDSU) is trying to get a strong first impression in an effort to close the gap. Bottom line is that NDSU has a very strong record for excellence. It is up to the competition to close the gap.

I do find it interesting that many Power 5 conference teams are getting more early verbal commitments. Riley at Nebraska is really changing how the Huskers recruit. How this affects SDSU will be interesting.

Comment

Coach Brown was recently at a camp in Iowa where he probably saw these guys in action.

Carson Lensing, TE with an offer. From Calmar, IA.
                http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...Lensing-183588

Ko Kieft, athlete with an offer. From Sioux City, IA.
                http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...o-Kieft-183529

Shaun Beyer, TE with an offer. From Cedar Rapids, IA.
                http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n-Beyer-172458
                Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 06-17-2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Tommy Doyle, OT from Edina, MN verbals to Miami (OH). Had offer from the Jacks.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Tom...cruitInterests

Comment

I can't believe I'm wishing this, but it is getting difficult to maintain our list on this forum. The coaches are making sooooooo many offers that I've been running out of room on individual posts. A couple of years ago, I was able to get all the offers on a single post. Last year it became difficult to keep up the list on players we were interested in so they had to be divided between offensive and defensive offers. Now I can't even fit all of the offers to just the offensive players to list on a post.

Thanks to Patrick Kasl making a commitment earlier this week to Wisconsin, I have enough room to fit Ko Kieft's offer on the offer list.

Kasl would have made a fine Jackrabbit, but he is going to be a Badger instead.

OT - Patrick Kasl, 6'6" 280, Forest Lake, MN - HUDL
                    Offers: USD

*After looking at the video of Kieft, I moved him to LB instead of Athlete on the first page. He lists himself as a LB on his HUDL page and by my untrained eye, that seems like his best fit.
                    Last edited by GopherHole; 06-19-2015, 02:07 PM. Reason: Moved Kieft to LB instead of Athlete

Comment

Roy Lopez III, DT from AZ with an offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rivalsradio/...y-Lopez-165998

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        Roy Lopez III, DT from AZ with an offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rivalsradio/...y-Lopez-165998
                        Ko Kieft from Sioux Center with an offer from NDSU today

Austin Schulte from Pella accepted offer from University of Iowa

Comment

Carson Lenning, TE verbals to Iowa State. Had offer from the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            Who do you perceive to be our top competitor for recruits in conference this year? Year-in, year-out the obvious guess is NDSU. We recruit the same geographic portions of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. While UNI and USD fit this same geographic area, NDSU has always been the team to recruit against. USD has not been as aggressive early on in the past and has always seemed more interested in finding the best recruits they can out of California, Florida, Nebraska, Illinois, and Iowa. That appears to be changing this year.

After reviewing Jackrabbit offers to this year's class, the top four conference competitors are:

USD - 22 competing offers
                            UNI - 16 offers
                            Western Illinois - 13 offers
                            NDSU - 10 offers

Maybe it is just an off year - statistics always have anomalies.

What I find interesting is that NDSU is not extending as many early offers as their peer group.
                            NDSU are now starting to offer more players after their camp.

Gavin Rush, Drew Hmielewski, Sean Engel and Ko Kieft, offered by the Jacks, now have offers from the Bison.
                            Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 06-21-2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Some South Dakota players to keep an eye on:

Dodi Makwinja, RB & LB, SF OGorman
                              Ethan Roth, DL, Harrisburg
                              Kanin Nelson, QB, Mitchell
                              Jett Thune, QB, SF Roosevelt
                              Preston Tetzlaff, LB, Brookings
                              Tyler Van Voorst, WR, SF Roosevelt
                              Jack Peery, WR, SF OGorman
                              Carter Carstens, DE, SF Roosevelt
                              Andrew Sorensen, LB, Brandon Valley
                              Logan Busch, OL, Beresford
                              Luke Fritsch, DB, SF OGorman
                              Ethan Roth and Kanin Nelson were OL MVP and Elite QB, respectively, at NDSU camp.

Comment

@Auswar Proud to say I have decided to commit to Northern Illinois University!

Autin Warner, OG, verbals to Northern Illinois. Had offer from the Jacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X