X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruiting List

[QUOTE=BULLDOG;264174]
    Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Common misperception. There is an expectation that in state student athletes will choose SDSU preferred status as compared to other non scholarship opportunities but no expectation that they will turn down Equivalent DI offers to take that non-scholarship offer.

Please forward to the SDSU coaches please.
    All are 1st Team All State Players
    Austin Ahrendt- Sioux City East 6'3" 220 TE Ivy league a possibility
    Braden DeBoer - Sioux Center 6'4" 230 DT/Tackle NDSU/USD
    Christian Rozeboom - Sioux Center 6'2" 205 Athlete 4.6 Best athlete I saw all year.
    Vaughn Moser - West Lyon 6'0" 205 RB/LB 4.65 Potential Walk On at D-1 USD/UNI
    Brett Van Roekel - West Lyon 6'6" 235 Tackle long arms! Best potential on the list.
    Blake Simons - HMS 6'6" 225 WR/TE athletic full offer to play bb at SMSU/ Walk on offer at Iowa

Oh by the way 2 guys that I said SDSU should offer last year: Andrew Van Ginkel redshirted at USD. 6'3" 225 Linebacker USD assistant coach told me last week he will be a STUD! Great shot at being a 4 year starter.
    Brandon Snyder- what a huge miss this was. 6'1" 210 lbs - West Lyon coach told me yesterday he had a great fall as PWO at Univ of Iowa. Scout team defensive and special teams mvp. Is getting #1 reps at safety during bowl prep last week.
    Did any of the prospects go to the June 30th prospect camp?

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros;264175]
      Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205174229

This is the directory, please tell them yourself, I am real busy right now.
      I'm sure Mr. Nidaros that the coaches are on here daily checking your posts to see who to play and recruit on a daily basis, but thanks for the contacts.

Comment

[QUOTE=NWHSUandSDSU;264179]
        Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post

Did any of the prospects go to the June 30th prospect camp?
        I have no idea if they attended camp. I haven't seen Simons play, but the rest I have seen in person multiple times. Sioux Center and West Lyon I saw play back to back weekends at the UNI Dome. I know summer high school baseball really hurts Iowa kids that are trying to earn a football or basketball scholarship, becasue it's difficult for them to get to a camp. I know 2 of the names for sure have been offered a PWO at SDSU. IMO 3 of these kids are scholarship kids and three are PWO type kids with potential of big upsides.

Comment

I just watched Sam Zenner's highlight tape. I know its a highlight tape, but it helps me ease the pain of last week knowing we have a second Zenner coming on board. If he is half as good and works half as hard as his brother has for SDSU, I like where that will take us.

He needs to put on about 20 pounds and then you wouldn't be able to tell them apart at all. Running styles are so similar.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Common misperception. There is an expectation that in state student athletes will choose SDSU preferred status as compared to other non scholarship opportunities but no expectation that they will turn down Equivalent DI offers to take that non-scholarship offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Good post. This is not exclusive to SDSU either, IMO.

I have to believe that a scholarship is only part of the value proposition in recruiting. The key is tipping the scales to the point of getting 18 year olds to sign, and there are many factors to consider like degree options, post college plans, ability of family and friends to make games or at least watch, ability to win, likelihood of making the next level of competition, coaching philosophies, offensive/defensive schemes, etc, etc, etc. It is a little easier to sell local kids on the value of some other things besides scholarship dollars.

A great non-football example is Connor Devine, who is from Alaska with family in Watertown. I've heard that was a factor in his decision making process.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

[QUOTE=BULLDOG;264174]

Christian Rozeboom - Sioux Center 6'2" 205 Athlete 4.6 Best athlete I saw all year.
              Brett Van Roekel - West Lyon 6'6" 235 Tackle long arms! Best potential on the list.
              Blake Simons - HMS 6'6" 225 WR/TE athletic full offer to play bb at SMSU/ Walk on offer at Iowa

Oh by the way 2 guys that I said SDSU should offer last year: Andrew Van Ginkel redshirted at USD. 6'3" 225 Linebacker USD assistant coach told me last week he will be a STUD! Great shot at being a 4 year starter.
              Brandon Snyder- what a huge miss this was. 6'1" 210 lbs - West Lyon coach told me yesterday he had a great fall as PWO at Univ of Iowa. Scout team defensive and special teams mvp. Is getting #1 reps at safety during bowl prep last week.
              Not intending to be snarky, so please don't take it as such. I would guess the coaching staff is well aware of all these players, and if there isn't an offer of some kind there is a reason of some kind.

Van Ginkel might be great, and turn out to be a STUD. USD will give him a much easier path to playing time than SDSU.

We lose South Dakota kids with scholarship offers to walk-ons at P5 schools on a semi-regular basis (Chad Greenway and the Reiff brothers come to mind). It stinks, but is reality. What makes you think we would be able to recruit out of state kids like Snyder who get walk on offers at P5's?

Bottom line, SDSU is doing pretty well and I trust the coaching staff to continue to bring in players who will shine on the field, in the classroom, and in the community.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Any word on JUCO offers? I believe next week is signing for JUCO qualifiers who would start school in January and be eligible for spring ball.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Not intending to be snarky, so please don't take it as such. I would guess the coaching staff is well aware of all these players, and if there isn't an offer of some kind there is a reason of some kind.

Van Ginkel might be great, and turn out to be a STUD. USD will give him a much easier path to playing time than SDSU.

We lose South Dakota kids with scholarship offers to walk-ons at P5 schools on a semi-regular basis (Chad Greenway and the Reiff brothers come to mind). It stinks, but is reality. What makes you think we would be able to recruit out of state kids like Snyder who get walk on offers at P5's?

Bottom line, SDSU is doing pretty well and I trust the coaching staff to continue to bring in players who will shine on the field, in the classroom, and in the community.
                  Both of those guys were offered scholarships if I remember correctly.

Comment

[QUOTE=BULLDOG;264174]

No disrespect to the Van Ginkel kid, I am sure he is a good player, but SDSU is way above trolling USD's roster to wish we had them in Brookings. I think we are quite loaded at LB for the next 3 years and beyond, and I think we will survive not having him on our team. Snyder kid is obviously good enough to play at Iowa, so did we really have a shot at him in the first place. Hindsite is 20/20. If we think there are kids good enough to play here and we want them to play here, we offer them a scholarship. Every school in the country swings and misses on kids every year. What we are doing is working. I am WAY more concerned about getting the best kids from South Dakota than NW Iowa since we are South Dakota State, not NW Iowa State. Above all I am more concerned that we get kids good student athletes that will help us beat NDSU.
                    Last edited by rabbits64; 12-12-2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Maybe Van Ginkel ends up being a STUD! but USD's recent history causes me to question their coaches evaluation skills.Guess I'm just a skeptic...

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                        I am WAY more concerned about getting the best kids from South Dakota than NW Iowa since we are South Dakota State, not NW Iowa State. Above all I am more concerned that we get kids good student athletes that will help us beat NDSU.
                        Agree with the second sentence. Strongly disagree with the first.

We should be concerned about all of our regional recruiting battles. This includes MN, IA, and NE (and possibly ND?). If I recall correctly, Orzenski (sp?), WR out of Omaha, picked NDSU over SDSU a couple years ago and had the game winning catch last weekend. If only, he was in Blue and Yellow, but such is life.

Bulldog - Keep up the good work in keeping tabs on NW Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post

We should be concerned about all of our regional recruiting battles. This includes MN, IA, and NE (and possibly ND?). If I recall correctly, Orzenski (sp?), WR out of Omaha, picked NDSU over SDSU a couple years ago and had the game winning catch last weekend. If only, he was in Blue and Yellow, but such is life.

I agree, just seems childish to see any harm from a guy from NW Iowa wanting to see some players who he thinks are good enough to play for the Jacks. If anything, I'd take it as a compliment that someone from NW Iowa would take as much interest in the Jacks as he does to research all these guys. Maybe differing about whether they are good enough, yes, where they're from,it's just silly and childish to keep having these geographic arguments.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-12-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post

I will second this. I really don't care if we win with a bunch of guys from Nova Scotia as long as they aren't Criminoles.

Guys like Greenway, Reiff, and the Farnioks who have P5 scholarship offers aren't coming to SDSU no matter how good of a sales job our coaches do. As I have mentioned before somewhere on this site, Stig told Greenway he could start at ANY POSITION his freshman year if he came to State. It's not like our coaches aren't doing everything they can to recruit those guys....they're just realistic that it is less than a 1% chance it will happen.

The PWO offers are a different story, but I can tell you that if my kids have the opportunity to walk on at Iowa, even for a year, they will always choose Iowa over SDSU. If it doesn't work out at Iowa they can always transfer back to State.

Comment

You will always miss on a few, you just hope you hit on more than you miss, and your misses can still contribute.

As for backyard recruiting, talent is talent, no matter where it comes from, however you want to keep your best, you don't want to let them go. It looks bad, and it can further hurt recruiting down the line. At the same time, sorry; but if player Y from Scottsdale Christian is better then player X from Beresford I want the coaches to pick player Y.

There are more D-II athletes than D-I athletes in South Dakota, so there will be less local players now that we are D-I.

As for Reiff, Riley would have went to State, if Iowa hadn't came back in after he had his scholarship offer pulled at Nebraska after Callahan was fired and he broke his wrist. Also remember he was a D-end recruit, who switched in spring practices following his freshman year.

His brother's decision came down to State and Iowa. I think its a pretty good sign when these type of athletes are considering SDSU.

I don't always agree with Stig on things, but I think his recruiting is pretty solid.

Comment

Any word on Daniel? Huge.

Comment

Working...
                                X