Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
    It's the 7th time he's taking a jab at me and NW Iowa. Not taking it personal at all, but he's still an idiot!! I'm not at all concerned about us tapping into Nebraska. I still think it's a bad idea hitting AZ and CA hard. Tough winters and away from family and friends is hard to keep kids for 5 years. Our lack of depth every year is from the attrition. Yes, we have locals that don't come back, but not at the rate of kids that come from warm weather states. We are not doing a very good job of recruiting and getting guys in our own backyard. We missed on 4-5 local guys(especially Marlette, Van Ginkel and Snyder) in 2014 class and hopefully it doesn't happen again in 2015 class. Now that Waecter and Newborg are commited to Iowa and Schmidt is a Buckeye. We must land guys like Tuszka, Christion, Twait(Manson), Daniel, Cooper(Sheldon), Spears (Heelen), Ross(Humboldt).
    You might have a point with our success with CA kids (though I think Dalton Douglas is going to be a gem), but I can't agree with AZ recruits. With the past success of Jimmy Rogers and Danny Batten, as well as the current success of JeRyan Butler and Dallas Brown (and more than likely Plote this year), Arizona has given us some solid players and not an abnormal amount of attrition, which happens with every class regardless of where they are from.

In terms of some of the misses you've pointed out, the majority of them were offered but chose to go else where. Marlette had an offer from SDSU but chose NDSU, Snyder, at least at one time, had an offer but ultimately felt walking on to a Big Ten School was his best option (good thing we didn't wait around for him), and honestly, I, and obviously many other people due to his lack offers, wasn't very high on Van Ginkel. He may turn out to be good, but I wouldn't put money on it.

In terms of Schmidt (and Reiff), we have to be realistic. If they get Big Ten offers, they are not coming to SDSU unless of some extenuating circumstance. Christon might be a tough get as well if he feels he has to take the highest offer he has (MAC > MVFC in general football thought).

Once again, we are on a lot of these kids, but there are a thousand different reasons they could chose another school over us. If we were ignoring these kids, I could see your point, but I just don't see that as the case.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Nice work in Nebraska guys!

Comment

Originally posted by samsrams View Post
        Nice work in Nebraska guys!
        Thanks like Kemo has stated adding Dan Jackson to our staff has made a difference. I am curious are the three Brookings guys still on the Bison Radar screen?
        Last edited by Nidaros; 07-08-2014, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          You might have a point with our success with CA kids (though I think Dalton Douglas is going to be a gem), but I can't agree with AZ recruits. With the past success of Jimmy Rogers and Danny Batten, as well as the current success of JeRyan Butler and Dallas Brown (and more than likely Plote this year), Arizona has given us some solid players and not an abnormal amount of attrition, which happens with every class regardless of where they are from.

In terms of some of the misses you've pointed out, the majority of them were offered but chose to go else where. Marlette had an offer from SDSU but chose NDSU, Snyder, at least at one time, had an offer but ultimately felt walking on to a Big Ten School was his best option (good thing we didn't wait around for him), and honestly, I, and obviously many other people due to his lack offers, wasn't very high on Van Ginkel. He may turn out to be good, but I wouldn't put money on it.

In terms of Schmidt (and Reiff), we have to be realistic. If they get Big Ten offers, they are not coming to SDSU unless of some extenuating circumstance. Christon might be a tough get as well if he feels he has to take the highest offer he has (MAC > MVFC in general football thought).

Once again, we are on a lot of these kids, but there are a thousand different reasons they could chose another school over us. If we were ignoring these kids, I could see your point, but I just don't see that as the case.
          Since NDSU is our comp school, many of there top players are from Texas, such as McNorton and the WR, and places far away from Fargo. Seems like they have picked up plenty of Wisconsin athletes,too. Ryan Smith is about the only ND player besides Beck. I have not looked at their roster in a while. The point is, we to have branch out and its about a free education which makes people from Arizona come to SDSU to play football.

Comment

What an idiot!!
            Thanks. I will take that as a compliment.

Comment

It's the 7th time he's taking a jab at me and NW Iowa. Not taking it personal at all, but he's still an idiot!! I'm not at all concerned about us tapping into Nebraska. I still think it's a bad idea hitting AZ and CA hard. Tough winters and away from family and friends is hard to keep kids for 5 years. Our lack of depth every year is from the attrition. Yes, we have locals that don't come back, but not at the rate of kids that come from warm weather states. We are not doing a very good job of recruiting and getting guys in our own backyard. We missed on 4-5 local guys(especially Marlette, Van Ginkel and Snyder) in 2014 class and hopefully it doesn't happen again in 2015 class. Now that Waecter and Newborg are commited to Iowa and Schmidt is a Buckeye. We must land guys like Tuszka, Christion, Twait(Manson), Daniel, Cooper(Sheldon), Spears (Heelen), Ross(Humboldt).

Did any of those recruits attend the elite camp?

Comment

We must land guys like Tuszka.
                If you are referring to Derek Tuszka he verballed to NDSU back in April. http://247sports.com/Player/Derrek-Tuszka-66395

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  If you are referring to Derek Tuszka he verballed to NDSU back in April. http://247sports.com/Player/Derrek-Tuszka-66395
                  Derek who? I missed this guy completely, but I am sure, that attending NDSU over SDSU might not have been a hard choice. Warner is probably closer to Fargo than Brookings. With nearly identical curriculums, it probably came down to who has the better football program at this time? If the Bison are looking at what they see and see good, then the offer came and this young man took it. I can't blame him or his family. Good luck Derek! I am sure Coach Stig will find a place for you if things don't work out in Fargo.

Comment

@TerryVandrovec Broomfield (Colo.) DT Blake Whitsell (6-2, 265) said he has given a verbal to SDSU. Had offers from USD, Northern Colorado and Air Force.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...hitsell-158003

Comment

Blake Whitsell is our 5th verbal according to TV:

Broomfield (Colo.) DT Blake Whitsell (6-2, 265) said he has given a verbal to SDSU. Had offers from USD, Northern Colorado and Air Force.
                      Nice to see the flood gates starting to open!

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1443750/whitsell-blake
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Whitsell is our third recruit that attended and got an offer during out elite camp that has committed within a week of the offer. Whatever we did during the camp, lets do it again next year!

We have 5 other known offers out to Colorado kids right now, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few Colorado kids in this recruiting cycle.

Comment

Some solid recruiting by our coaching staff, but seeing the new practice facility and timeline for a new stadium I'm sure are helping. Recruits may have more of a sense of urgency knowing SDSU is an attractive offer others will commit too if they do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

Van Ginkel lack of offers was for obvious reasons. He is a 4 sport guy who didn't go camp to camp in the summer showcasing himself. He was only getting D2 offers in bb and fb because they were the only coaches to watch him play. IMO he will be a 3 or 4 year starter at USD after a red shirt year. 38 inch vertical w/out really hitting the weight room hard until this last year gives you a sign of his athletisism.

West Lyon coaches told me he never received an offer from SDSU. His dad said he would have committed in a second to the Jacks had they offered him. He said he's attended over 30 SDSU games watching cousins and West Lyon alums play. He too was a 4 sport guy and didn't do the summer camp thing as Iowa has summer baseball and he played aau basketball. Hard for me to believe he's good enough for NDSU and Iowa, but not us??

Don't know the entire Marlette story other than in a year there will be more scholarship SD kids on NDSU's roster than SDSU's. Bottom line we have to recruit and sign the best from our own backyard. If we don't and we continue to lose 7 out of 14 scholarship kids in one class we will lack the quality depth needed to compete. Midwest kids will work harder and thus develop more. I'll guess we'll see in a couple years how the shift of recruiting strategy pans out. I know I'm speaking for many former players who have the same concerns.

Comment

West Lyon coaches told me he never received an offer from SDSU. His dad said he would have committed in a second to the Jacks had they offered him. He said he's attended over 30 SDSU games watching cousins and West Lyon alums play. He too was a 4 sport guy and didn't do the summer camp thing as Iowa has summer baseball and he played aau basketball. Hard for me to believe he's good enough for NDSU and Iowa, but not us??
                              I want to make sure I understand . You are telling us that this young man had offers from NDSU and Iowa but ended up at USD ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                I want to make sure I understand . You are telling us that this young man had offers from NDSU and Iowa but ended up at USD ?
                                I found that confusing too. I think in the paragraph you quoted, he's talking about Snyder,who walked on at Iowa.

Comment

Working...
                                X