X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...edule/8135411/

TV has a good discussion of the scheduling process today.
    It is a good article. For all those bashing the administration, it sure seems like they did all they could to get an FCS counter into Coughlin. It wasn't like they weren't willing to pony up a bunch of money because they were. Just couldn't find anyone takers.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      It is a good article. For all those bashing the administration, it sure seems like they did all they could to get an FCS counter into Coughlin. It wasn't like they weren't willing to pony up a bunch of money because they were. Just couldn't find anyone takers.
      j

I wonder if this will get any easier once the stadium is completed. Then teams will know that once they arrive that the playing surface will be good and the locker room and training facilities will be good. Right now, those things are a bit questionable. In fact, they probably assume right now that their visit to Brookings will be unpleasant from beginning to end.
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
        j

I wonder if this will get any easier once the stadium is completed. Then teams will know that once they arrive that the playing surface will be good and the locker room and training facilities will be good. Right now, those things are a bit questionable. In fact, they probably assume right now that their visit to Brookings will be unpleasant from beginning to end.
        The way I understood Rob Peterson, he said he had contacted nearly all the teams in the Colonial Conferece, and they just did want to travel to SD. If you been out East, like way out east, you get a snooty response when you tell them you are from SD. I don't think a new facility will change their minds. I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
          j

the only thing anybody cares about is how much money they're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            My 7th grade history teacher taught me not to believe everything I read.

Sell's job is to promote the university, even if that includes spin through the local media. To me, that article read as nothing more than damage control. He is under zero obligation to give us the entire truths.

I did enjoy the mentioning of getting more people involved with the scheduling. That should tell you something right there.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              My 7th grade history teacher taught me not to believe everything I read.

Sell's job is to promote the university, even if that includes spin through the local media. To me, that article read as nothing more than damage control. He is under zero obligation to give us the entire truths.

I did enjoy the mentioning of getting more people involved with the scheduling. That should tell you something right there.
              What's going on with you, TK? Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? If you have a solution -- a solution -- then what are you doing to make sure those in the decision-making seat know your solution?

Nothing wrong with the cautionary advice given to you by your 7th-grade history teacher. Did that same teacher tell you to disregard everything you read? When a professional applies their background and training to a particular issue, how should they address a critic who, with none of the same background and expertise, summarily dismisses the professional's work with a flick of the wrist and something like 'well, my 7th grade history teacher told me....' The more I read your writings, the more I have to conclude that your posts are simply attempts to stir the pot and create a little discussion and you cannot possibly believe what you're writing.

Your posts have convinced me of one thing: I am taking your 7th grade history teacher's advice and not believing what you write.

And then somebody named Vandrovec had the guts to write the following load of b.s.: "All of that said, let's be honest: If anything, SDSU has over-scheduled since becoming FCS playoff eligible. It hasn't played any non-Division I teams since facing two in 2006. It has played one BCS team every year since 2008. It's played more home games than road games only twice in its D-I era.
              The Jacks were bound to have something like this pop up. It's almost impressive it didn't happen sooner."
              HAH! I'd like to see him back up those statements. Sure glad I refuse to believe such lies!

And, yes, there were at least 10 people on the grassy knoll; the USA allowed 12/7/41 at Pearl Harbor to happen as a convenient excuse to get into WWII; AIDS doesn't exist; AIDS does exist and is a plot of the developed world against third-world countries; and, above all, the world is flat.

DISCLAIMER: The above is only intended to be an attack on posts, not the poster. Love 'ya, man; hate your posts. Keep smilin'!
              Last edited by JackJD; 04-26-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                My guess is SDSU exhausted all options trying to find a viable opponent and were left with either having a 6th home game vs a D3 school or no 6th home game and they decided to have a 6th home game. It's better for the fans and players to have a 6th home game, and plus the new facilities need to be paid for somehow. It's no big deal in my opinion.
                Simply and accurately put. Good comments, witness.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  What's going on with you, TK? Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? If you have a solution -- a solution -- then what are you doing to make sure those in the decision-making seat know your solution?

DISCLAIMER: The above is only intended to be an attack on posts, not the poster. Love 'ya, man; hate your posts. Keep smilin'! [/SIZE]
                  Classy post MR. MODERATOR. I didn't realize you were allowed to go on a diatribe against a poster, but then subsequently make it all right by adding some type of disclaimer at the end. I'll be sure to put that one in the meeting minutes for future use.

You can choose to believe or not believe anything you read. If you want to continue to believe the story being placed in front of you for consumption, by all means please proceed. However, you may want to keep fact checking on those "lucrative" offers that were documented by TV, via Sell, as being made by our administration to get an FCS counter to come to Brookings.

Comment

My attempt at humor (the small type, sarcasm etc.) apparently is not satisfactory to all readers!

Is it okay for some to rip away at an athletic administration that I think deserves high marks, but not okay for other posters to make a strong response? And some posts are made in such a way that when one criticizes the content of the post, it is received, incorrectly, as an attack on the poster.
                    Last edited by JackJD; 04-26-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                      the only thing anybody cares about is how much money they're going to get.
                      +1 to KI Driver.

The following is not a response to KI Driver, but my response to others who refuse to think critically about the scheduling of this game. Here is a quote from TV's article:

"This didn't come down to money. SDSU made some lucrative offers – beyond the $185K it gave Butler last year – in order to get another FCS team to come to Brookings. It also made unconventional and multi-year offers. Those were rebuffed, as well."

Who is defining "lucrative" here? TV, via Sell. What is the over/under that the schools we offered would also define our offers as "lucrative"?

Again, regardless of the potential spin being placed by the admin through their beat reporter, my contention is that this decision was made about money, and money period. It was not made to get "playing time" for the depth chart, an additional game "for the fans", and was obviously not scheduled to increase our playoff chances. The decision was made by looking at the bottom line, period.

I refuse to believe that there were schools out there that would not come to Brookings simply because "they didn't want to come to Brookings". Perhaps SDSU didn't want to pay the premium those schools were asking for, which was above and beyond the "lucrative" offers we made?

For the record, I think highly of the administration and the work they have done to date. I just disagree with how some are interpreting this situation.

Edit: And why I am I so hung up on this issue? With the brutality of our conference, we need to increase our playoff chances in any way possible, even if that means breaking the bank to get a team into Brookings. We have to take this next step as a football program. I'm also extremely concerned that seniors Sumner and Zenner will not see the playoffs because we fall 1 game short.

Comment

I don't think you know what over/under means.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                          Classy post MR. MODERATOR. I didn't realize you were allowed to go on a diatribe against a poster, but then subsequently make it all right by adding some type of disclaimer at the end. I'll be sure to put that one in the meeting minutes for future use.

You can choose to believe or not believe anything you read. If you want to continue to believe the story being placed in front of you for consumption, by all means please proceed. However, you may want to keep fact checking on those "lucrative" offers that were documented by TV, via Sell, as being made by our administration to get an FCS counter to come to Brookings.
                          Im not sure why you believe a moderator can't challenge you on your posts, especially after just about everyone of them is attacking in nature from you? You have put me down time after time, but I attributed that to me being a USD guy. You wouldn't be the only one. But I have to agree with the moderator, I think you come on board here just to cause a ruckus.

why I don't always agree with the mods decisions ( you guys get away with far more than me..lol ) I do respect the chain of command. TK, you remind me of the guy that always walks into the bar acting tough, looking for a fight. Then someone agrees to go outside to settle matters, you begin talking your way out of it. JackJD did his job and called your bluff. Be quiet and take it like a man.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            TK, you remind me of the guy that always walks into the bar acting tough, looking for a fight. Then someone agrees to go outside to settle matters, you begin talking your way out of it. JackJD did his job and called your bluff. Be quiet and take it like a man.
                            My bluff? Talking my way out of it? L-O-L. Speaking of spin.........

Comment

I would humbly suggest that paper bags be handed out among the worthies of SDSUFans as a home remedy against hyperventilation . . . (goes around, handing out virtual paper bags to the board members). Keep 'em in the seat-back pockets in front of you if you don't need 'em right now.

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever believing that it's exceedingly difficult to get any kind of decent opponent to come to Brookings without paying way, way too much in a guarantee, or making the kind of agreement mortgaging future schedules that would be irresponsible for the SDSU admin to make.

The new stadium may make it somewhat easier, maybe, marginally. But Brookings is way far out in The Outback--psychologically if nothing else, for most of the country. (Yes, much farther out in the Outback than Fargo is, from a mental-map standpoint. Fargo is a metro area north of 150,000 people. Brookings County has around 30K. Yeah, Sioux Falls is just down the road, but . . . Sioux Falls is down the road.)

The problem is only exacerbated by the fact that all of the local D-II's (the NSIC) won't play out-of-conference games at all, further limiting the potential OOC home game candidates. SDSU could maybe go after some RMAC or MIAA opponents to bring in at least a D-II opponent, but that gets problematic from a travel point of view as well.

Exit question and topic for discussion and comparison: how many NAIA's, D-II's, or D-III's do the Montana schools, Weber State, S. Utah or N. Arizona have to schedule in any given year to get a full slate of home games?
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

For Montana, there is a Frontier Conference, that now includes Dickenson State from ND. I am not sure how many schools this conference includes, but Montana Western in Dillon is one of them. If SDSU were to schedule MW, based on travel, we would have pay enough to cover travel. Dillon is 8 to 10 hours by car from Sidney Mt, and Sidney is just across the boarder from Williston ND. Seem like there is also Montana Tech. They don't have many choices. I know a few years back when Chadron was king or near king in D2, Montana State scheduled and that game turned out to be similar as the SDSU game with LaCrossee. As you move further to the west their are fewer what I call teachers colleges, and fewer private schools. Western Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Utah is a concentration of membership of the Church of the Latter Days Saints, and they seem to have put all their education funds in BYU. They just don't build regional colleges like the Roman Catholics and Lutherans have so to answer your question, the FCS schools in that area pay dearly for a NAIA to be on their schedule. We are lucky that we have the Wisconsin Conference so close by, many of these schools are located in eastern Wisconsin. Travel to Brookings is not a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X