Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I would humbly suggest that paper bags be handed out among the worthies of SDSUFans as a home remedy against hyperventilation . . . (goes around, handing out virtual paper bags to the board members). Keep 'em in the seat-back pockets in front of you if you don't need 'em right now.

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever believing that it's exceedingly difficult to get any kind of decent opponent to come to Brookings without paying way, way too much in a guarantee, or making the kind of agreement mortgaging future schedules that would be irresponsible for the SDSU admin to make.

The new stadium may make it somewhat easier, maybe, marginally. But Brookings is way far out in The Outback--psychologically if nothing else, for most of the country. (Yes, much farther out in the Outback than Fargo is, from a mental-map standpoint. Fargo is a metro area north of 150,000 people. Brookings County has around 30K. Yeah, Sioux Falls is just down the road, but . . . Sioux Falls is down the road.)

The problem is only exacerbated by the fact that all of the local D-II's (the NSIC) won't play out-of-conference games at all, further limiting the potential OOC home game candidates. SDSU could maybe go after some RMAC or MIAA opponents to bring in at least a D-II opponent, but that gets problematic from a travel point of view as well.

Exit question and topic for discussion and comparison: how many NAIA's, D-II's, or D-III's do the Montana schools, Weber State, S. Utah or N. Arizona have to schedule in any given year to get a full slate of home games?
    http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footb...tbl-sched.html

One BCS and one DII for the University of MT. There are no DII football teams in the state of MT.

Comment

I find it somewhat amusing that posters are willing to throw coaches under the bus for a decision made within a 45 second window, and at the same time give loads of reasons why a schedule that is 2/3 completed by the conference can't be filled out properly with months of time to do it.

45 seconds to call a fake punt = unforgivable.

6 months to find a DIII to fill out the schedule = it happens.

But they tried really, really, REALLY hard to find somebody decent for our 6th game. Makes perfect sense to me.

Its a hard job, and I don't understand the ins and outs. But we need a game that counts for playoff eligibility. That's the bottom line. IMO, this is worse than the fake punt, bland play calling, botched special teams play, etc, etc, etc.

Just my opinion.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I find it somewhat amusing that posters are willing to throw coaches under the bus for a decision made within a 45 second window, and at the same time give loads of reasons why a schedule that is 2/3 completed by the conference can't be filled out properly with months of time to do it.

But they tried really, really, REALLY hard to find somebody decent for our 6th game. Makes perfect sense to me.

Its a hard job, and I don't understand the ins and outs. But we need a game that counts for playoff eligibility. That's the bottom line. IMO, this is worse than the fake punt, bland play calling, botched special teams play, etc, etc, etc.

Just my opinion.
        The difference? Two different parties have to agree to play a football game. A fake punt is the single decision of one person. That person doesn't have to negotiate with anyone. That person has full power to make the decision and that is why that person can be judged based on their decision.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just my opinion.
          The coaching staff doesn't have to ask the other team for permission to run the fake punt.

For the record, the fake punt didn't really bother me that much. It was more of a miscommunication than a poor decision.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            The coaching staff doesn't have to ask the other team for permission to run the fake punt.

For the record, the fake punt didn't really bother me that much. It was more of a miscommunication than a poor decision.
            I agree. We call out stig for to conservative play calling. They took a gamble. Its more the communication and lack of execution more then it failed.

However making the playoffs should be goal number 2 after winning the confrence. Having a non counter just makes that harder to do and really in no benefit. That's a failure regardless of what did or did not happen. That's why I would advocate to get rid of most of our bsc pay games and look for more home and away deals with other schools like us who have a hard to scheduling good home games. Most years we have had good home games. Last year was a great scehdule so they get props for that. This year a single non counter is sort of a big deal and its ok for fans to call it out and point out its failure to get a respectable game imho.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Well when we have alot of people donating hundreds of thousands of dollars and we don't have to worry about budgets, we will be able to afford to buy games at any price and not schedule pay games. Also if you think you can do a better job scheduling why don't you offer your expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I agree. We call out stig for to conservative play calling. They took a gamble. Its more the communication and lack of execution more then it failed.

However making the playoffs should be goal number 2 after winning the confrence. Having a non counter just makes that harder to do and really in no benefit. That's a failure regardless of what did or did not happen. That's why I would advocate to get rid of most of our bsc pay games and look for more home and away deals with other schools like us who have a hard to scheduling good home games. Most years we have had good home games. Last year was a great scehdule so they get props for that. This year a single non counter is sort of a big deal and its ok for fans to call it out and point out its failure to get a respectable game imho.
                The BCS games are necessary because of the pay day we get. We need all the revenue we can get.

I think not making the playoffs is a real possibility this year. The non-counter is a killer.

That being said if what is being portrayed in the media is remotely accurate, what is the administration supposed to do? It's not like they have an infinite amount of money to pay to get someone to come to Brookings. If a team wants 500k to come play a game and we only have 250k it doesn't take a math whizz to figure out we are 250k short and can't afford to pay that particular team.

On the flip side Sell was quoted as saying he is going to get more people involved in scheduling. Leads me to believe that maybe they waited to look for a 6th home game until late in the game when they had fewer options. If that indeed happened that is a failure on the part of the administration and it could cost this team a trip to the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  On the flip side Sell was quoted as saying he is going to get more people involved in scheduling. Leads me to believe that maybe they waited to look for a 6th home game until late in the game when they had fewer options. If that indeed happened that is a failure on the part of the administration and it could cost this team a trip to the playoffs.
                  I like this idea, because Rob has worked very hard and has run into a ton of dead ends. If others who know officals and coaches from other institutions, can get involved they could be a great help. That's what is going to take. Brookings is off the beaten path. Fortunately I-29 runs by the east edge of town, otherwise, Brookings would be another Madison SD, who is hurting for retail and part of the reason, I believe is because they 10 to 15 miles from I-29.

Comment

The BCS games are necessary because of the pay day we get. We need all the revenue we can get.

I think not making the playoffs is a real possibility this year. The non-counter is a killer.

That being said if what is being portrayed in the media is remotely accurate, what is the administration supposed to do? It's not like they have an infinite amount of money to pay to get someone to come to Brookings. If a team wants 500k to come play a game and we only have 250k it doesn't take a math whizz to figure out we are 250k short and can't afford to pay that particular team.

yeah, its not like we are playing a non counter every year, this seems to be hopefully a one year problem. I understand the issues when needing to get that money as a pay day, and budgets etc, but those BCS games are almost always a loss. which put the team down a game essentially to start the season. I would think that they should hold out of for a bigger pay day, or stick to just some regional play.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how much every home game we host makes on avg? with ticket sales, consessions etc? I would have to think that with a new stadium just years away from being finished, that revenue will only go up every game I think off setting the need for the BCS games. In my pipe world dream i think it would be great if we could produce enough reveune to start demanding atleast 6 home games every year, and if we dont have a BCS game try to get a 7th game. that would be amazing, but I doubt we will ever see it, but I dream because say the revenue for each home game is say 400K or more, we wouldnt need to count on BCS games every year and then having a non counter is less of an issue. Just my pipe dream really but it would be awesome.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Out of curiosity does anyone know how much every home game we host makes on avg? with ticket sales, consessions etc? I would have to think that with a new stadium just years away from being finished, that revenue will only go up every game I think off setting the need for the BCS games. In my pipe world dream i think it would be great if we could produce enough reveune to start demanding atleast 6 home games every year, and if we dont have a BCS game try to get a 7th game. that would be amazing, but I doubt we will ever see it, but I dream because say the revenue for each home game is say 400K or more, we wouldnt need to count on BCS games every year and then having a non counter is less of an issue. Just my pipe dream really but it would be awesome.
                      According to info put together for the new stadium, the income for 5 home games a year ago was about $650,000 total or about $130,000 per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        According to info put together for the new stadium, the income for 5 home games a year ago was about $650,000 total or about $130,000 per game.
                        So thats what it was? did they have any projections to what they expect it to be in a new stadium?

So we have a ways to go to make some good money from the stadium, but say if we get to the point to avg 17K a game on avg 20 bucks per ticket is a huge increase, but ovbviously a huge cost to pay for the stadium.

Comment

So thats what it was? did they have any projections to what they expect it to be in a new stadium?

So we have a ways to go to make some good money from the stadium, but say if we get to the point to avg 17K a game on avg 20 bucks per ticket is a huge increase, but ovbviously a huge cost to pay for the stadium.
                          Put me down for some of those $20 tickets...
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

yeah, its not like we are playing a non counter every year, this seems to be hopefully a one year problem. I understand the issues when needing to get that money as a pay day, and budgets etc, but those BCS games are almost always a loss. which put the team down a game essentially to start the season. I would think that they should hold out of for a bigger pay day, or stick to just some regional play.

Virtually every FCS team plays a BCS team every year. I don't see that changing unless the BCS teams quit scheduling FCS teams. Even some of the most prestigious FCS programs schedule BCS games out of necessity (See the U of Montana).

As far as staying regional.....we have been. Illinois is the farthest we have traveled as I recall. It's not like we have gone to Oregon.

Comment

Put me down for some of those $20 tickets...
                              i just meant that was avg for all tickets, so thats 40 bucks for season ticket holders, and "free" for students and the band (which i know they are not getting in for free but you know what i mean), and comp give tix away etc. so i figure its a good round number to use for my simple calculations.

Comment

Virtually every FCS team plays a BCS team every year. I don't see that changing unless the BCS teams quit scheduling FCS teams. Even some of the most prestigious FCS programs schedule BCS games out of necessity (See the U of Montana).

As far as staying regional.....we have been. Illinois is the farthest we have traveled as I recall. It's not like we have gone to Oregon.
                                Ill and Mizzu arent like its a simple car ride IMO. Iowa, Ia state and minn and neb fit that region more, but yeah we arent going down to florida or USC for a game. besides the pay day I think the benefit is the hype if you do pull off the upset. aside from USD beating Minn which was rather short lives, NDSU etc and others who do its huge for the program, seems some schools arent paying out as much for the games as they use too. I wouldnt be surprised if with the changes in confrence and BSC reconfigurations that it will few availabilities for a decent payday from those games. Or I suppose it could pay even more as teams are playing harder non con games to get signiture wins and still need a cupcake to try to get an easy win and might have to pay more for those wins.

Comment

Working...
                                X