Coach Shannon Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Shannon Moore

I wasn't even blaming the coach. I also have no idea who decides that. I'm just mentioning that that was my gripe.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      Sigh, I said I was done with this thread, but I cannot let those stats go unanswered.

All FCS Stats via ESPN.com. Make your own conclusions.

2009 – #43 in KOR yards, #19 in PR yards, #17 in Net punting yards
      2010 – #50 in KOR yards, #7 in PR yards, #20 in Net punting yards
      2011 – #68 in KOR yards, #74 in PR yards, #12 in Net punting yards
      2012 – #59 in KOR yards, #37 in PR yards, #66 in Net punting yards
      2013 – #92 in KOR yards, #7 in PR yards, #44 in Net punting yards

i love just letting TK22867 just go off like he knows what he is talking about. If you really want to get technical and make your own conclusions then get the stats right also please. I am sure ESPN is an accurate source but if you look at the NCAA sites will find the stats of 2010 being #9 in KOR not 50, you were at least right in #7 of punt return yards and then SDSU was also #4 in net punting and not #20. I would say the NCAA site is more accurate then ESPN, wouldn't you? As I stated before the big debate has been his coaching ability and if TK22867 knew so much he would know the ST Coordinator at SDSU does not coach all units. The list was of the units Moore coached when I was there. If you want to bad talk the other units take it up with the coaches that coached those units. I am with chains and the others that he will be missed not only for his coaching but all other things.
      Is TK22867 jealous that is why he is working so hard to do all this research??

Comment

I get it! This is one of those Miller Beer ads from the 1980s (LESS FILLING! NO, TASTES GREAT!)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6SBt...QdPhl7VA8jep9b
        Last edited by JackJD; 01-16-2014, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Questions for the mods. Can I get some rep points for each time my name is mentioned in a post? Is there a way to change my screenname so I can make it longer and more time consuming to type it out?

I admit I know nothing and am jealous of something. Just not sure what yet. I also admit I don't have the time to fact check ESPN stats, so I guess I'm screwed in that arena.

Oh, and one last thing. If Coach Moore is reading this forum, please send me a PM. Me and my buddies would like to come help you pack. Maybe we can talk stats while we bubble wrap your knick knacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I think its a good question why Butler wasn't back receiving punts earlier (although he did have nearly a 2/3 returns this year, leading me to think this could be a fan perception issue). Does the special teams coach get to pick whomever he wants on the team to fill that spot? Or do they get the leftovers after all the other coordinators have filled their rosters? JeRyan had some pretty hefty duties on the defensive unit, logically it might make sense to put a fresh body back instead of a guy who has just played 3-x number of downs sprinting/cutting. The years when the return squads were really shining was when Kool was back there. There wasn't really a spot for him anywhere else, so was he available for special teams by default? Tiefenthaler used to return kicks a lot, and I thought he did a nice job. This year, did his receiving duties keep him from being back there. I do not know how these things work.

I do think special teams would be a tough unit to coach. From a non-football mind, it seems like underclassmen and underutilized upperclassmen fill out many of the 11 spots on the field. Not making excuses as all teams deal with the same issues, just an observation.

Edit: realistically, very few posters on this or any forum really understand how these things work (including myself). I guess for the most part I lean on reserving judgement. Everybody else is entitled to their own opinion though.
            This is a great post. Can't give rep points, but I sure am able to agree or disagree. Agree on all points. Its an important part of the game, but they often don't use the best people, and that's a shame. Heaven help the coach who makes a mistake in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              The years when the return squads were really shining was when Kool was back there. There wasn't really a spot for him anywhere else, so was he available for special teams by default? Tiefenthaler used to return kicks a lot, and I thought he did a nice job. This year, did his receiving duties keep him from being back there. I do not know how these things work.
              I think you have to go back a bit further to when Paul Aanonsen was returning punts. I don't have the stats to back it up, but from my fan perspective, our return game was dangerous then.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                I think you have to go back a bit further to when Paul Aanonsen was returning punts. I don't have the stats to back it up, but from my fan perspective, our return game was dangerous then.
                THIS...does anyone have the clip of the punt return for TD against NDSU? IMO...the greatest game ever played in CAS...since 2003 anyway. That special teams unit was truly special..that whole team was special the last 7 games of that year!!

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. When he was back there i looked forward to punt returns, the last year or 2 i usually cringed until Butler took over back there. For the most part, kick coverage was good, Kick return was avg IMO, Punt coverage was pretty decent it seemed but punt return for 2 years seemed like a nightmare. Who was special teams before Moore? Sarvis maybe? i dont recall. I think the only coach we have lost in the last 10-15 years that really was a big loss was Wilkenson as OC. I think if we kept him or got him back we make more progress then we have the last 5 years. SDSU has done a good job of advancing coaches, either when they seemed sucsessful or struggled, either way many moved on or up in class. Meadows was the same boat. He did great with the oline for years, the as OC good years but a few challenging years and everyone calls for his head and then he starts looking for new work, either on his own accord or saw the writing on the proverbial wall. Moore for good or bad his job as special teams appeared by many fans at least and possibly HC and administators as the weak link. I thank him for his contribution and seemed like an SDSU first kind of guy just like Meadows was, but they were probably both ready to move on for what could be a vast variety of reasons.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Fair enough. Could we say Aanonsen on punts, Kool on kicks?

At the end of the day, results are what matters. But I think Aanonsen was a case of a great player making a great play (maybe Kool too). Somebody argued that our return TD this year was a result of poor positioning by the other team, and maybe that's true. How do the 4 NDSU guys around Aanonsen not attempt to tackle a punt returner who didn't make a fair catch all season? That is a pretty good example of a coaching staff that didn't prepare their kids.

That Aanonsen punt return had the potential to be just as disastrous as the fake call at EWU. It turned out to be one of the most awesome plays in SDSU history, and I'm not complaining.

If the fake punt would have been successful, it may have gone down as one of the most awesome plays in SDSU history, too. If Sawyer had seen the up guy waving his arms like angels in the outfield, it would have been just another punt among the scores since the game was invented. Assuming EWU didn't run it back.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion, which means little to nothing.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Talk about being late to the party. Here I dozed off on the Forum for a week and come back and find this firestorm. Are you guys having cabin fever or just going stir crazy from lack of college football? Wow... I'll give you this though, it is entertaining, though I can't figure out where the king of snarky is coming from?

Shannon Moore is a great human being. I thought he was a good coach. I bet you he is getting paid more for his move and his weather certainly is better.

Special team coaches DO NOT get to pick who gets to return kicks and punts. It is up group of coaches as a whole. The Head Coach decides who the group picks from. Don't you think Zach Zenner would be a great kickoff returner? You want to see a the Board explode, see what would happen if ZZ got hurt returning a kickoff. The Jacks, I say to their credit, do/did play a lot of starters on special teams, especially there outside linebackers. O well.

Thank you all for giving me a great laugh and entertainment on a gray winter day!!

Comment

(Risking the off-topic black mark I don't recall reading on this message board about Luke Meadows going to Southern Miss as the Offensive Line Coach. Did I miss that? Here's a story:http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2014/01/southern_miss_officially_names.html

Somebody kick me if this has been noted on the message board and I'll delete this post. If it has not been noted, I'll start a thread in College Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          (Risking the off-topic black mark I don't recall reading on this message board about Luke Meadows going to Southern Miss as the Offensive Line Coach. Did I miss that? Here's a story:http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2014/01/southern_miss_officially_names.html

Somebody kick me if this has been noted on the message board and I'll delete this post. If it has not been noted, I'll start a thread in College Sports.
                          TV has mentioned it, but I don't recall reading anything about it here. No doubt a promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            No doubt a promotion.
                            And it's got to be good getting away from what had to be a bizarro situation last fall (and probably still is).
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Its been talked about. Southern Miss was terrible this year, I mean terrible. 0-10 with 10 blowout losses before they beat UAB to end the year. Hoping Luke can help them out.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Its been talked about. Southern Miss was terrible this year, I mean terrible. 0-10 with 10 blowout losses before they beat UAB to end the year. Hoping Luke can help them out.
                                I think there are some similarities between Coach Meadows situation and Coach Moore's. But even if Southern Miss was terrible, I'd rather end up coaching there vs. the Florida North, South, East, West, Disney schools. Good move Coach Meadows.

Luke Meadows has shown a lot of class, especially and even after he left SDSU. He loves his current and former players and lets them know that. You have to tip your hat to him and respect him for that because he goes way beyond the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X