GDT - Jackrabbits vs EWU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EWU GDT

Jacked_Up I noticed the same things which lead me to my response. I always like to gather my thoughts before I post. I visited with alot of players at their farewell gathering last night and always enjoy asking them questions.

The Fake punt – when is the best time to call it – who knows but I believe this (in talking with a bunch of people) – you have to do it when it is not expected. You cant do it in the middle of the 4th QTR down two TDs. Also in talking with the players the look was there that they had been practicing (no one rushing from the left side – and even one guy rushing they were taking one of the shield guys around to block him that is how you know they checked out of it because no one was leading around) so if it is there and we are going for the win why not call it. They said they knew the look to check out of it which they did, but for some reason Ethan missed the check when no one else did. And to clarify something TK22867 said, Craig Bohl did call a fake punt in the 1st national championship game from about the 30 yard line.
    People keep talking about all this momentum that Eastern gained. Here are my thoughts on that. Their first series of the 3rd quarter they had plays over 30 yards that got called back for penalty. Then they ended up punting. We went 3-out with a loss on a rush, a qb hurry, and a QB sack. They drove the field with 2 big plays and scored a TD. We go 3-out again with a Sack to start the drive. After the fake punt they scored by converting a 3rd down. Now here is where everyone is talking about momentum. After such a huge momentum swing here is what SDSU does—block the PAT which in defensive / football talk is a huge momentum getter for SDSU and then we put a 13 play drive together and put points on the board (a possible TD by Shnieder). I do not see how EWU gained SO much momentum. Then the next two series we are driving the ball and on both of those fumbled them both away. Those two drives are mixed in with a fumbled by EWU and a converted 3rd & 9 -- 69 yard touchdown pass. I guess from a former football players standpoint and not a fans – I do not see EWU having all kinds of momentum that people are claiming.
    I talked with some players again and they said it is just like offense and defense. You call a blitz and you have checks to get out of it and if one person doesn’t get the check you have a chance to give up a big play. Our players were not giving the “WTF”, they said the look was there in the game, we made the call and then checked out of it but not everyone got it. It happens on offense and defense all the time.
    Our players and staff did a great job of bouncing back and getting into the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row and 3 of 5 years. I wish we could all appreciate that and give them our support. I have no problems with people questioning calls and such that is the game of message boards.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
      A lot of crap on here. Many wanna be coaches. I told Stig that I love the way he runs the program and I could care less if they ever won a game....
      This is where I stopped reading...
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

It's not the fake punt and subsequent call off that didn't happen,its the lack of organization and down right comedy of errors that have happened through out the course of the year that weren't corrected( ie....the punt return fiasco's,etc, at the start of the year),that falls on the head guy who runs the whole program.My hope is that things get communicated a lot better next year so that there's no doubt as to what supposed to happen .

Stig might be too nice of a guy,and isn't demanding enough,and gives too much lee way to his subordinates to handle things with no subsequent verification as to how well they've handled problems,so there's no accountability for failures....JMO...(no i don't know if this is factual,just what i perceive to be,I could very well be wrong and probably am,but none the less,it's what i think)Agree or disagree,i welcome both perspectives.

This is not a call for coaching changes,just a hope ,desire for more organization for the team.I respect and admire coach Stig,but no ones perfect,and everyone can learn and improve.The whole team has to improve from an organizational stand point,too many "didn't knows" and "we overlooked",etc...i know we will get better at these things.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          It's not the fake punt and subsequent call off that didn't happen,its the lack of organization and down right comedy of errors that have happened through out the course of the year that weren't corrected( ie....the punt return fiascos,etc, at the start of the year),that falls on the head guy who runs the whole program.My hope is that things get communicated a lot better next year so that there's no doubt as to what supposed to happen .

Stig might be too nice of a guy,and isn't demanding enough,and gives too much lee way to his subordinates to handle things with no subsequent verification as to how well they've handled problems,so there's no accountability for failures....JMO...(no i don't know if this is factual,just what i perceive to be,I could very well be wrong and probably am,but none the less,it's what i think)Agree or disagree,i welcome both perspectives.This is not a call for coaching changes,just a hope ,desire for mor organization for the team.I respect and admire coach Stig,but no ones perfect.
          This is a pretty solid view point...pretty much agree on everything.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

That's what it comes down to little things and that's what stig preaches do the right thing. Make the right play etc yet we get a delay of game on the kickoff to start the 2nd half. The delay of game after a time out I think early in the 2nd qtr. Those are the issues that bother me. That's coaches and players not on the same page. Communication is key. Things I would hope stig is going to address with his staff.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by DakJacks View Post
              Jacked_Up I noticed the same things which lead me to my response. I always like to gather my thoughts before I post. I visited with alot of players at their farewell gathering last night and always enjoy asking them questions.

The Fake punt – when is the best time to call it – who knows but I believe this (in talking with a bunch of people) – you have to do it when it is not expected. You cant do it in the middle of the 4th QTR down two TDs. Also in talking with the players the look was there that they had been practicing (no one rushing from the left side – and even one guy rushing they were taking one of the shield guys around to block him that is how you know they checked out of it because no one was leading around) so if it is there and we are going for the win why not call it. They said they knew the look to check out of it which they did, but for some reason Ethan missed the check when no one else did. And to clarify something TK22867 said, Craig Bohl did call a fake punt in the 1st national championship game from about the 30 yard line.
              People keep talking about all this momentum that Eastern gained. Here are my thoughts on that. Their first series of the 3rd quarter they had plays over 30 yards that got called back for penalty. Then they ended up punting. We went 3-out with a loss on a rush, a qb hurry, and a QB sack. They drove the field with 2 big plays and scored a TD. We go 3-out again with a Sack to start the drive. After the fake punt they scored by converting a 3rd down. Now here is where everyone is talking about momentum. After such a huge momentum swing here is what SDSU does—block the PAT which in defensive / football talk is a huge momentum getter for SDSU and then we put a 13 play drive together and put points on the board (a possible TD by Shnieder). I do not see how EWU gained SO much momentum. Then the next two series we are driving the ball and on both of those fumbled them both away. Those two drives are mixed in with a fumbled by EWU and a converted 3rd & 9 -- 69 yard touchdown pass. I guess from a former football players standpoint and not a fans – I do not see EWU having all kinds of momentum that people are claiming.
              I talked with some players again and they said it is just like offense and defense. You call a blitz and you have checks to get out of it and if one person doesn’t get the check you have a chance to give up a big play. Our players were not giving the “WTF”, they said the look was there in the game, we made the call and then checked out of it but not everyone got it. It happens on offense and defense all the time.
              Our players and staff did a great job of bouncing back and getting into the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row and 3 of 5 years. I wish we could all appreciate that and give them our support. I have no problems with people questioning calls and such that is the game of message boards.
              I totally agree. There was a huge whole and if we break 1 tackle, it works and we get a first down. A fake punt only works when it is not expected. It was another very good season. The program is on the brink of being very, very good.

Comment

A lot of crap on here. Many wanna be coaches. I told Stig that I love the way he runs the program and I could care less if they ever won a game. Yes, the goal is to win, but in the overall view the 5 years each of these young men spend playing football is a very small window in their lifetime and nowhere close to the most important. The life lessons from this coaching staff will take them much further. All I ever here players say that come here is that they love their teammates and their coaches and that's why they are here.
                Completely agree. Great post. Too many coaches on here.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by csgame View Post
                  I totally agree. There was a huge whole and if we break 1 tackle, it works and we get a first down. A fake punt only works when it is not expected. It was another very good season. The program is on the brink of being very, very good.
                  I can't believe the punter couldn't break ONE tackle! WEAK effort.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

A lot of crap on here. Many wanna be coaches. I told Stig that I love the way he runs the program and I could care less if they ever won a game. Yes, the goal is to win, but in the overall view the 5 years each of these young men spend playing football is a very small window in their lifetime and nowhere close to the most important. The life lessons from this coaching staff will take them much further. All I ever here players say that come here is that they love their teammates and their coaches and that's why they are here.
                    Again, this is your opinion, and I value it, but I also don't agree. I will offer up a poor analogy for my arguement. This would be like hiring an engineer, and then be satisfied with his ability to design a safe bridge with unlimited expenses. It is the engineers responsiblity to design a bridge that is both safe and cost effective. Stigs job is to win football games AND run a clean program. He does both, and does both pretty well, however he is not infallible, nor is any human being.

As for the fake punt, I don't disagree with the call, but the execution was a total failure. It might have been the players fault, or it might have been the coaches fault, but either way this team lost as one unit. Maybe next year these mistakes will be corrected, and a deep run into the playoffs can be made...or maybe not. I am mildly satisfied with this team's performance this year, and very optimistic about next year. I am looking forward to another season.

Comment

I agree. You should never question anybody unless you have had their job. I was just complaining to my wife about how the garbage man always leaves our lid off the garbage can and it blows away, and I have to walk down the street to pick it up every week. Yet, am I right to complain? Obviously NOT! I have never been a garbage man, and now I realize the garbage man has desicions to make and time criteria to meet that i just don't understand! No longer will I question anybody, unless I have done their job first! And don't even getting me started on Obama! I had some criticism for him, but then I realized that I don't have the qualifications to argue my point as I have never been President! How dare I question him or any politician for that matter! How about my wife! I should never question her! I have never been a woman or married to myself! I just totally rethought my entire existance. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        I agree. You should never question anybody unless you have had their job. I was just complaining to my wife about how the garbage man always leaves our lid off the garbage can and it blows away, and I have to walk down the street to pick it up every week. Yet, am I right to complain? Obviously NOT! I have never been a garbage man, and now I realize the garbage man has desicions to make and time criteria to meet that i just don't understand! No longer will I question anybody, unless I have done their job first! And don't even getting me started on Obama! I had some criticism for him, but then I realized that I don't have the qualifications to argue my point as I have never been President! How dare I question him or any politician for that matter! How about my wife! I should never question her! I have never been a woman or married to myself! I just totally rethought my entire existance. Thank you!
                        As a married man, I see you are beginning to understand.
                        Last edited by SF_Rabbit_Fan; 12-10-2013, 02:21 PM. Reason: bold was messed up
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

This is well written, well thought out post, by somebody who obviously is close to the team and players. A fine year, with a nice streak of wins over quality opponents to finish the season. In the end, we came up short on the road against a very talented ball club. They did lose as a team, and I don't think anyone in the locker room was pointing fingers. I am very optimistic about next year, and believe we can reload to make a deep run into the playoffs. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            As a married man, I see you are beginning to understand.
                            A little too heavy on the sarcasm perhaps. I probably should have quit after my first post.

Comment

This post got me re-thinking the fake punt call.

Maybe it wasn't that bad of call. The reason for failure is the only guy that didn't get the memo about not faking it was the guy who needed to know the most! Had the rest of the team blocked for Ethan he probably runs for 20+ yards.

Communication error, but not a bad call now that we have all the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                A little too heavy on the sarcasm perhaps. I probably should have quit after my first post.
                                Nope. Your analogy was fitting.

Just because we all aren't coaches does not mean we can't critique them on a fan message board.

We're all probably wrong, but what the hell, that's what makes these types of boards fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X