Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs

Jacks will play Saturday night at Northern Arizona (which beat USD 22-16 on Sept. 21). Youngstown gets snubbed.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Well, NCAA did a cluster on the MVFC, but they did one thing right:

NDSU vs. SDSU in Frisco. Let's do this.

Comment

For all the MVC teams that did not make it:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
          Well, NCAA did a cluster on the MVFC, but they did one thing right:

NDSU vs. SDSU in Frisco. Let's do this.

Yes, only two teams from the MVFC were selected. I love that these two are on opposite sides of the brackets. IMHO Jackrabbits ARE a top 5 team this season. Unfortunately, our arch-rival up I-29 is a resounding #1 team, and likely to repeat. I like the Jacks' chances vs anybody else but NDSU, and hope to see the SDSU Rabbits vs NDSU Bison in Frisco. 1-0 each week through Dec. first though.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Yes, only two teams from the MVFC were selected. I love that these two are on opposite sides of the brackets. IMHO Jackrabbits ARE a top 5 team this season. Unfortunately, our arch-rival up I-29 is a resounding #1 team, and likely to repeat. I like the Jacks' chances vs anybody else but NDSU, and hope to see the SDSU Rabbits vs NDSU Bison in Frisco. 1-0 each week through Dec. first though.
            This is a total screw job of the MVC AND the Jackrabbits. I would be amazed if there is not more protest out of Brookings on this. There absolutely should be.

How a team that the Jacks beat by 41 points and never drew a home crowd approaching a good high school game (Butler) got a first-round home game over the Jacks is an absolute travesty. And for those of you blaming last year's disappointing home crowd for SDSU not getting a home game, you need to check your facts first. COMBINED, four of Butler's home games did not add up the the 9,729 who saw the Jacks kill Butler 55-14. This is just an absolute, total screw job, awarding a team that drew 3,400 fans on HOMECOMING and beat up on such powerhouses as Valporiso to edge into the playoffs.

Here are Butler's attendance results from six home games: 3,541 (Band Day, which undoubtedly counted high school bands); 3,400 (homecoming, the exact number on the hundreds maybe a little padding suspect there); 3,194 (Dartmouth); 3,049 (who witnessed Vapariso give up four bazillion yards and 72 points); 1,576 and 1,494. I have been at high school games between 2-8 teams in Northern Virginia that drew more than those last two crowds.

And these guys get a home game? Perhaps our bid was not good enough, but you can't blame the 4,500 or so souls who showed up in the snow last year for Jacks not getting a home game this year

Also, I disagree on those going off on USD. While they were points away from going 1-11, they were also 14 points away from going 7-5 and, more importantly, they played two Big Sky home playoff teams to six- and four-point games, most notably Montana to a 31-27 game just two weeks ago. The Coyotes are getting better, we need them to get better to maintain the rivalry, and IMHO every time we dump on them or other middlin' MVC teams, we add to the fiction that this is not one of the best, if not THE best, conferences in our division. That one of our 3-5 teams played another conference's leaders to less-than-a-touchdown games is testament to how tough the MVC was this year, and further proof of the royal screw job the conference and SDSU is getting.

And don't get me started on Southern Utah's better draw....

Comment

I assume our bid just wasn't good enough. Once I saw Montana got a seed, I thought we'd get a home game. So this one might be on us. And by us, I mean the fans, who didn't properly show up for last year's home playoff game. Wonder if we had to hedge any bid down because of that. Of course, with the NCAA, who knows? It could just be stupidity. The truth will never be revealed.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                This is a total screw job of the MVC AND the Jackrabbits. I would be amazed if there is not more protest out of Brookings on this. There absolutely should be.

How a team that the Jacks beat by 41 points and never drew a home crowd approaching a good high school game (Butler) got a first-round home game over the Jacks is an absolute travesty. And for those of you blaming last year's disappointing home crowd for SDSU not getting a home game, you need to check your facts first. COMBINED, four of Butler's home games did not add up the the 9,729 who saw the Jacks kill Butler 55-14. This is just an absolute, total screw job, awarding a team that drew 3,400 fans on HOMECOMING and beat up on such powerhouses as Valporiso to edge into the playoffs.

Here are Butler's attendance results from six home games: 3,541 (Band Day, which undoubtedly counted high school bands); 3,400 (homecoming, the exact number on the hundreds maybe a little padding suspect there); 3,194 (Dartmouth); 3,049 (who witnessed Vapariso give up four bazillion yards and 72 points); 1,576 and 1,494. I have been at high school games between 2-8 teams in Northern Virginia that drew more than those last two crowds.

And these guys get a home game? Perhaps our bid was not good enough, but you can't blame the 4,500 or so souls who showed up in the snow last year for Jacks not getting a home game this year
                No one's blaming the fans that showed up last year. Playoff fans are the best fans because they want to be at the games and have to make their plans on short notice. They are the loudest, most enthusiastic group you can get at your stadium. Those 5,000 fans for the EIU game were as loud as any other game during the regular season with twice as many people.

That being said, the athletic department has to use playoff attendance as a basis for their bid, or else you're going to end up owing the NCAA money and you might not have it. 5,000 fans at $20 a ticket means you might be able to put in a $75,000 bid, but even that may be pushing it if the University sets lower student ticket prices, etc. Maybe NAU put in a monster bid, and maybe it'll end up biting them if their attendance sucks this coming holiday weekend. Maybe Butler had a big time donor that ponied up the money for a bid. Maybe Butler's opponent didn't put up a bid and Butler got the game by default for a minimum $30,000 and will regret it if the NCAA takes ALL of their gate instead of just the 70-80% to cover that minimum. Maybe the NCAA has been lying to everyone about the bid process and are just giving home games based on expectations of ticket sales, because when it comes down to it that's what the committee really wants from the home games. They pay for the travel, they want the money.

Comment

9. If the minimum guarantees are met, the committee will award playoff sites to the higherseeded teams.

I'm really lost now. Is the bracket set first? Are home teams selected first based on $?

Comment

Please, NoVA, let me know how you feel!

Butler got a powder puff team, that plays their home games in the same NFL stadium as Titans, so obviously, Tn St didn't make an aggressive bid. Northern AZ probably sold down for the right to host, much like SDSU did last year.

Both Jacks teams have the highest GPI of the non-seeds. Assuming for a moment that the selected TEAMS are a given, with regionalization, and avoiding putting SDSU other than to NDSU in round two, SDSU had to end up with either a Big Sky or Southland non-seed. Given two Big Skys, and only one Southland non-seed, either SDSU was playing SUU or NAU. While I'd have preferred SUU, NAU and SDSU haven't played (ever?) or for 6 years. Likewise, I believe that SHSU and SUU haven't played in a long time.

To split NDSU/SDSU other teams were victimized by regionalization.

If hold true Maine will play UNH only 3 weeks for a 2nd time (sound familiar?)
                    SHSU will be back at SELA only 3 weeks after losing in Hammond, and Tn St will play their conference rival in EIU in the 2nd round.

SDSU doesn't have it easy, but it's the play-offs. I like SDSU chances against the Big Sky, McNeese, and then likely another game vs EIU. Accomplish those 4 games, I could see playing our I-29 rivals in Frisco.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozemaniac View Post
                      No one's blaming the fans that showed up last year. Playoff fans are the best fans because they want to be at the games and have to make their plans on short notice. They are the loudest, most enthusiastic group you can get at your stadium. Those 5,000 fans for the EIU game were as loud as any other game during the regular season with twice as many people.

That being said, the athletic department has to use playoff attendance as a basis for their bid, or else you're going to end up owing the NCAA money and you might not have it. 5,000 fans at $20 a ticket means you might be able to put in a $75,000 bid, but even that may be pushing it if the University sets lower student ticket prices, etc. Maybe NAU put in a monster bid, and maybe it'll end up biting them if their attendance sucks this coming holiday weekend. Maybe Butler had a big time donor that ponied up the money for a bid. Maybe Butler's opponent didn't put up a bid and Butler got the game by default for a minimum $30,000 and will regret it if the NCAA takes ALL of their gate instead of just the 70-80% to cover that minimum. Maybe the NCAA has been lying to everyone about the bid process and are just giving home games based on expectations of ticket sales, because when it comes down to it that's what the committee really wants from the home games. They pay for the travel, they want the money.
                      Well, Butler AVERAGED 2,549
                      over six games and drew the ENTIRE SEASON fewer fans than the Jacks' home game with NDSU. Maybe the rich alum bid is true, but that makes my point. If you ever had any illusions that NCAA competition has not become totally about money, especially in football, and not just at the BCS level, this should end that quickly. From a pure competition standpoint, the Jackrabbit players earned a home game over Butler seven days a week. I hope the Jacks have a big chip on their shoulders as a result of this.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        9. If the minimum guarantees are met, the committee will award playoff sites to the higherseeded teams.

I'm really lost now. Is the bracket set first? Are home teams selected first based on $?
                        The committee picks the 13 at-large teams. Then they seed the top 8. Then they pair up the first round teams using whatever criteria they have, regionalization, no conference repeats first round, minimize total travel to the second round. Then they open the bids. The higher bid for the unseeded teams hosts. A seeded team hosts over an unseeded team or a worse-seeded team so long as they've guaranteed the minimum bid for that round, which are something like $30k/$30k/$40k/$50k for 1st/2nd/Qtr/Semi rounds.

The bids are made before the field is set and announced. Since you don't know that you're seeded at that point, most teams that are able to host will at least submit the 30/30/40/50 to the NCAA. If they want to guarantee to host or they know their attendance can support a bigger bid, they can bid more. I believe, but I'm not certain, that ALL the rounds are bid before the field is set, so the schools have to make their late round bids before they even know the playoff field.

Comment

I am confused. Did Sell not bid the minimum, or were we rated low by the committee? Or neither?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                            I am confused. Did Sell not bid the minimum, or were we rated low by the committee? Or neither?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I have no idea how much SDSU bid for a home game. I do know that whatever it was, NAU bid more.

Comment

I have no idea how much SDSU bid for a home game. I do know that whatever it was, NAU bid more.
                              Right. The bottom line is the bottom line. If they make the matchups, then open the bids as has been said, then the simple truth is Northern Arizona submitted a higher bid than we offered.
                              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I don't think that's necessarily correct based on the info Jackmd posted.

There is the possibility that we both bid the minimum guarantee and NAU was awarded the game because they are the higher seed, which is a real possibility at 9-2 and ranked #11.

OR, SDSU did not bid the minimum and NAU did bid more.

The info posted infers that bidding over the minimum guarantee does not matter. Perhaps that rule is in place to keep lower seeded teams from "buying" a home game.

Not that I trust the NCAA........

Comment

Working...
                                X