X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Next Year

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I love it. Filbert gives a link to another thread where everybody pats themselves on the back about how Stig wouldn't do what he just did. You are all just denying what you know to be true.
    No.

I gave a link in a thread at the time of the game, specifically highlighting a post from somebody who listened to an radio interview with Berry and came away convinced that the concussion was not severe enough to keep him out of the game. If I had the time, energy, and frankly interest, I'd try to dig up the interview itself. But honestly, it's just not that big a deal with me--I have no particular interest in either attacking Bohl or defending Stiegelmeyer. (Parenthetically, I personally have more of an issue with Stig's failure to detect Tom O'Brien's little problem in a timely manner, but that's neither here nor there nor anywhere else, other than to indicate that I in general don't think that anybody on Earth has walked on water for at least the last 2,000 years.)

But anyway, I looked around for a while for posts here from people who thought it was a bigger deal, didn't find them. Didn't do an exhaustive search, of course, could easily have missed someone. (I did note that I'm really not that engaged in the issue, didn't I?) I have no doubt given the general attitude of the folks around here that somebody would have posted "woah, wait a minute" at least; however our resident physician JackMD at the time, in the thread seemed to be relatively unconcerned.

However, since you seem to insist on your position, here you go:

You've been asked to provide rebuttal information, and other than "I think I heard Berry say otherwise" you haven't produced.

So, produce.

Or (I admit my preference here), just drop it as 'having had your say' and return to the topic of the thread.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      No.

I gave a link in a thread at the time of the game, specifically highlighting a post from somebody who listened to an radio interview with Berry and came away convinced that the concussion was not severe enough to keep him out of the game. If I had the time, energy, and frankly interest, I'd try to dig up the interview itself. But honestly, it's just not that big a deal with me--I have no particular interest in either attacking Bohl or defending Stiegelmeyer. (Parenthetically, I personally have more of an issue with Stig's failure to detect Tom O'Brien's little problem in a timely manner, but that's neither here nor there nor anywhere else, other than to indicate that I in general don't think that anybody on Earth has walked on water for at least the last 2,000 years.)

But anyway, I looked around for a while for posts here from people who thought it was a bigger deal, didn't find them. Didn't do an exhaustive search, of course, could easily have missed someone. (I did note that I'm really not that engaged in the issue, didn't I?) I have no doubt given the general attitude of the folks around here that somebody would have posted "woah, wait a minute" at least; however our resident physician JackMD at the time, in the thread seemed to be relatively unconcerned.

However, since you seem to insist on your position, here you go:

You've been asked to provide rebuttal information, and other than "I think I heard Berry say otherwise" you haven't produced.

So, produce.

Or (I admit my preference here), just drop it as 'having had your say' and return to the topic of the thread.
      People didn't protest? Really No sh## Sherlock. This board has plenty of sheep that think your coaches walk on water. My point exactly. Any dr that says a concussion isn't a big deal is a joke of a physician.

Produce? There isn't anything to produce. I have stated facts...facts that you guys can't dispute. Berry was pulled from the game for a concussion and later let back in because the symptoms disappeared...something they can't figure out on the sideline.

Yeah, I'm done with the subject. Just irritates me when SDSU fans get on their high horses.

Comment

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

People didn't protest? Really No sh## Sherlock. This board has plenty of sheep that think your coaches walk on water. My point exactly. Any dr that says a concussion isn't a big deal is a joke of a physician.

Produce? There isn't anything to produce. I have stated facts...facts that you guys can't dispute. Berry was pulled from the game for a concussion and later let back in because the symptoms disappeared...something they can't figure out on the sideline.

Yeah, I'm done with the subject. Just irritates me when SDSU fans get on their high horses.
          Pardon me if I stick with what Ryan Berry says...
          Your two statements are, at least in the context of this thread, in conflict. You claim to have stated facts, to whit a statement from Berry himself. I infer that this statement is in regards to the severity of the injury he sustained in the game.

This statement is not yet in evidence.

I on the other hand went back and looked at threads at the time of the game, found a reference to a radio interview given by Berry, and an impression from somebody who listened to the interview who appeared to indicate that Berry didn't think it was a big deal. Even given the yellow-and-blue-colored glasses (or, green-and-yellow glasses, respectively) with which these things are viewed, this then gives me pause to wonder exactly how serious Berry's actual condition on the sideline was.

Was he initially held out of the game because of an excess of caution on the part of the coaches, and later (with the support of the doctor & training staff) talked the coaches into letting him back into his last collegiate game? I don't know--it is however quite a plausible scenario however, which would rather argues against your insinuations against Stiegelmeyer's reputation.

I do not know the facts of the matter. And so, I sought more information.

What, exactly, did Ryan Berry say regarding the incident--was it at the time, or did he say something later which indicated something different? That's what I was trying to get to, here. Not your recollection of what he said--the actual words; a direct quote.

I had, perhaps naively, assumed that since you had decided to make this an issue, you were then in possession of these helpful facts and could produce them upon demand.

Since you can not or will not produce additional information, a reasonable conclusion on my part is that you were blowing green-and-gold colored smoke. Now, had additional information been forthcoming I was quite willing and prepared to adjust my conclusion accordingly.

I do understand how the general tenor surrounding "St. Stig" could get under your skin, but in the future, you might just try to dismount from your own over-tall equine for a minute, please, and actually READ WHAT I AM ASKING.

My apologies for actually approaching this rationally--I realize it's really not the appropriate approach for a college sports discussion board thread.

My bad here, people. I shall forbear from further flogging of the horse, high, dead, or otherwise.

Carry on.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

No.

I gave a link in a thread at the time of the game, specifically highlighting a post from somebody who listened to an radio interview with Berry and came away convinced that the concussion was not severe enough to keep him out of the game.
            In today's concussion guidelines no athlete (middle school, hs, college, professional) is permitted to go back in after a suffering a concussion. And there is no such thing as a "mild" concussion or a "less severe" concussion. Head injuries, concussions are all severe.

I am not debating what happened 5 or so years ago as I wasn't on the sidelines and don't know all of the circumstances (I did see the play happen on TV). I will say this, Berry would not have gone back in to the game in today's era.

*not picking on your comments Filbert, just pointing some things out.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              In today's concussion guidelines no athlete (middle school, hs, college, professional) is permitted to go back in after a suffering a concussion. And there is no such thing as a "mild" concussion or a "less severe" concussion. Head injuries, concussions are all severe.

I am not debating what happened 5 or so years ago as I wasn't on the sidelines and don't know all of the circumstances (I did see the play happen on TV). I will say this, Berry would not have gone back in to the game in today's era.
              Oh, no, I quite agree. Even five years ago, there was still some lingering doubt in football circles about whether you could be cavalier with someone who 'just had his bell rung.' This is no longer the case for the most part, and a good thing, too.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh, no, I quite agree. Even five years ago, there was still some lingering doubt in football circles about whether you could be cavalier with someone who 'just had his bell rung.' This is no longer the case for the most part, and a good thing, too.
                Oops, I said I was done with this.

Bad filbert.

I denounce myself.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good. I spend 50% of my work week performing tests on concussed athletes and looking at data from our numerous concussion studies we are performing at our Institute. So this topic is near and dear to me. I could second guess what happened in the Ryan Berry situation. I believe (hope) the medical staff (and Stig) would have acted differently now if they were in a similar situation.

Comment

I just made popcorn and was waiting for TransAmBison's reply on his persistant belief that the Bison team that year was no match for the Jackrabbit quarterback with a concussion. (Yer darned lucky you didn't have to play us on a good day.)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I just made popcorn and was waiting for TransAmBison's reply on his persistant belief that the Bison team that year was no match for the Jackrabbit quarterback with a concussion. (Yer darned lucky you didn't have to play us on a good day.)
                      We were no match with you guys that year if Berry was in a wheelchair.

Comment

We were no match with you guys that year if Berry was in a wheelchair.
                        And you didnt even bring up Mertens as an excuse.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          And you didnt even bring up Mertens as an excuse.
                          Funny how things only get by you when you want them to. Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            I dont think it needs to close because the tone could very well change from how we stunk up a promising season to we made the playoffs 2 years in a row and what should we expect, right now i have some concerns for next year but there is a lot that has to happen in that time so as fans I see nothing wrong with speculating what is and what might be.
                            True that.

I just personally prefer the speculation when they are out of it. Lots of people feel like you, no problem with that.

I compare it to the Packers and Viqueens. The Queens are speculating, do we re sign Jarrod Allen? Perfectly acceptable when they are 1-5. Packers - do we re sign Sam Shields? Who cares now because they just won four in a row with most of their skill people injured. I prefer to enjoy the season.

My gut feeling is this Jacks team is a veteran team and getting healthier by the day. I think they are capable of rallying and winning out. It is my prediction at least.

When next year comes, I think they'll be pretty good again, even missing some of the Seniors. Next year it will depend upon the O line and the D line I think for what it is worth.

1-0 rest of the year!

Comment

If you want to know if Berry was okay, talk to any former player who was in the huddle with him. You will have your answer pretty quickly.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                I love this and this pretty much sums up this thread. BTW, Colbert once played bb at Montana State and once faced the Jacks. Very appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X