Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU at WIU

Originally posted by witness View Post
    Interceptions are a huge stat for the defense. Sometimes it deals with disguising coverages, great coverage by the secondary or the defense making great plays. It also helps you win the TO battle and win the game.
    Touche.

Always helps if the team the QB is throwing the ball for has no running game and is a poor passer. WIU does not have a good FB team, especially when their best player is hurt.

Still a nice win for the Jacks. Seemed to do much better on special teams minus the FG kicking. Defense is very good. Offense has all the potential just need to realize it. This team can make some waves, don't know if they will.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

38-14 Jackrabbits, final. Good defense, decent special teams, and a real mixed bag on offense. Some great plays and some really bad plays. I liked that we had Sumner keep throwing despite the picks and missed passes.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        I have a feeling the Jacks are gonna come out of their funk and curb stomp these guys. Score prediction: 38-7
        Hats off to Jack Power, this would be a winning prediction in most pools. Legal or illegal.

Comment

Just wish we'd clean up the errors. Still feels sloppy. A Win on the road in conference is still a very good thing, especially after we dropped 2 at home.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

SIU goes to UNI and beats them in OT. Still have a chance for 2nd in the conference.

Comment

It's already been said here, it was sloppy, but I will never turn down a win on the road involving a 9 hour bus trip. It just hurts leaving 10 points on the field. Butler's int was sick, and so was Elmore's. It would have been awesome to see Winston get that third int. Sumner was both good and bad again, I'm still kind of peeved by his bad throw to Schneider in the endzone. He got lucky on a dropped pick 6, and hung his receivers out with multiple high throws, I'm glad though that he was so aggressive passing down the field. His back shoulder throw to Schneider in the 3rd quarter was money, and that's what we need to see more of from Sumner. The running game was mediocre, but that falls back on our passing game for not being able to consistently throw over a loaded box. I loved having two guys back on punt returns, and think it's a great idea having Butler back there....I believe he is a big play waiting to happen. We also tackled great outside of a few drives. My only real complaint against the defense is how often we get burned over the middle, but that can be worked on.

It's great that we can win by 24 points on the road in the MVFC have so many things to look back on that we did wrong. Missouri State may have only 1 win, but they have a lot of fight in them and it has never been easy for us to go down to Springfield and win. Next week might be a high scoring dogfight like it was two years ago. SDSU and UNI both already have two losses in the MVFC, that's how tough it is going to be.

Comment

It is becoming painfully obvious that when teams load the box, our receivers just can't get big separation in man to man coverage. Wesley is probably our biggest "burner", but I think the rest of our receivers can be quantified as "possession" receivers.

Austin still has to make better throws, but if we had just 1 legitimate big time deep threat, this offense would be scary good. I hope we have one of these guys coming up through the hopper for next year.

Comment

WIU may not be a top-25 team, but I'll gladly take a 20+ point road MVC win any day. It will be nice to have a meltdown-free week here on the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

I've been on the road and without internet since Friday morning...just returned from filbertville (Kansas City) a short while ago. We picked up WNAX on the north edge of KCMO -- poor signal at first but 15-20 miles up the road, the signal was pretty good. Thanks, WNAX! The reach of that station is really appreciated. We had thought about going over to Macomb but changed plans so were glad it was on the radio. We caught the entire game, supplemented by periodic checks of live chat with Terry V.

When I returned home, I read this thread and the real-time posts summed up our sentiments listening to the game. In the end, a nice conference road win -- not an easy task in the MVFC.

When the Jacks post-game program concluded, we tuned in the SIU at UNI game and caught the final few minutes of regulation and the overtime period. That was an exciting finish! Personally, I'm pulling for SIU to put a blemish on the Bison record this coming Saturday in Carbondale (but one has to admit that NDSU clearly appears in control of its destiny: its third FCS championship game).

Comment

• Re: SDSU at WIU

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      WIU may not be a top-25 team, but I'll gladly take a 20+ point road MVC win any day. It will be nice to have a meltdown-free week here on the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
                      Maybe we can start a ticker 1 DAY MELTDOWN-FREE

I like the win and I also like SIU beating UNI. It goes to show that we just didn't lose to a bad team on Hobo Day(as so many seemed to believe). Winning in that UNIdome is tough(as we know).Win out the next couple weeks and UNI comes to our house near the end of October. Hard ground, grass, cold, outside, they just won't like that. Looking forward to some great weeks of SDSU football coming up.
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        It is becoming painfully obvious that when teams load the box, our receivers just can't get big separation in man to man coverage. Wesley is probably our biggest "burner", but I think the rest of our receivers can be quantified as "possession" receivers.

Austin still has to make better throws, but if we had just 1 legitimate big time deep threat, this offense would be scary good. I hope we have one of these guys coming up through the hopper for next year.
                        Yes, Sumner and the Jacks is missing a Dale Moss type receiver. He opens up the offense for so many other things. The Jacks have some good receivers like Schneider and Jones but neither is as dynamic or a playmaker like Moss but I sure am glad the jacks have both of them on the team.

The passing troubles are much bigger than say, Sumner overthrowing receivers.
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          Yes, Sumner and the Jacks is missing a Dale Moss type receiver. He opens up the offense for so many other things. The Jacks have some good receivers like Schneider and Jones but neither is as dynamic or a playmaker like Moss but I sure am glad the jacks have both of them on the team.

The passing troubles are much bigger than say, Sumner overthrowing receivers.
                          I agree,but can't really figure out what's wrong with it for sure.Sumner gets yardage,despite all the missed throws and drops...etc.Is it we just can't get the whole package working together efficiently?

You know, the various parts of the passing game....getting rec'vrs open, protection for QB,calling right pass plays at the right times,coordinating the time it takes for rec'ver to run route with how much time QB has in pocket (this varies at times obviously) integrating run/pass plays better to give each a better chance to work.I'm sure the coaching staff has a much better idea of how to make it more effective and it's probably a work in progress,...to progressivly get to be a better team
                          My hope is we continualy see improvement each game.It'll never be perfection obviously,but it should become more efficient as the season moves along
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-13-2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            I agree,but can't really figure out what's wrong with it for sure.Sumner gets yardage,despite all the missed throws and drops...etc.Is it we just can't get the whole package working together efficiently?

You know, the various parts of the passing game....getting rec'vrs open, protection for QB,calling right pass plays at the right times,coordinating the time it takes for rec'ver to run route with how much time QB has in pocket (this varies at times obviously) integrating run/pass plays better to give each a better chance to work.I'm sure the coaching staff has a much better idea of how to make it more effective and it's probably a work in progress,...to progressivly get to be a better team
                            My hope is we continualy see improvement each game.It'll never be perfection obviously,but it should become more efficient as the season moves along
                            Some of it might just have to do with the quality of the opposition we've faced, too.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Some of it might just have to do with the quality of the opposition we've faced, too.
                              Never thought of that....thanks Filbert!

Comment

Western Illinois played Minnesota very well for a while. They aren't the little sisters of the poor academy. Big road win by the Jacks. Anytime, anyplace you win on the road in ch Conference is big. They needed this W and I agree - nice to have a meltdown free week for a change. Lets all enjoy it.

How many Jacks fans were in Macomb? I personally love the town. Fun taverns, a nice inexpensive Hampton Inn, and the cheapest beers and drinks of any town in the conference. It is hard to tell you are even in Illinois in that town. Now as for the rest of Illinois - hell on earth.

Comment

Working...
                                X