New defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New defense

Elmore will be back...I'm hoping that makes a difference.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The thing that bothers me the most on pass defense,even when we do get good pressure on the QB,to the point of him throwing it ackwardly and obviously hurried and off balance with not much on it to his safety,it's still caught,usually for a crucial first down,when i thought....oh boy,someone 's going to get an INT....NOT.

We're just not ready ever to take advantage of things,like we're just waiting to make the tackle AFTER the catch every time,instead of playing to NOT LET the catch be made.We play too tentatively.
      Teams QB's don't worry about our secondary,so they get comfortable and usually have a good passing game against us.This allows them to spring some good runs in there too.
      Hope we come out more aggressive against the Bison.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-27-2013, 04:34 PM. Reason: added more to otherwise too lengthy post

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        The thing that bothers me the most on pass defense,even when we do get good pressure on the QB,to the point of him throwing it ackwardly and obviously hurried and off balance with not much on it to his safety,it's still caught,usually for a crucial first down,when i thought....oh boy,someone 's going to get an INT....NOT.

We're just not ready ever to take advantage of things,like we're just waiting to make the tackle AFTER the catch every time,instead of playing to NOT LET the catch be made.We play too tentatively.
        Teams QB's don't worry about our secondary,so they get comfortable and usually have a good passing game against us.This allows them to spring some good runs in there too.
        Hope we come out more aggressive against the Bison.
        Not trying to be negative before this big game but how would you like to be an opposing WR knowing u r going to get a 8-9 yard cushion and that you can run by them when u go deep! Hope our guys come up big in the secondary but its time to start proving it!

Comment

Prior to the Nebraska game, didn't the defense lead the FCS in interceptions?
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            Prior to the Nebraska game, didn't the defense lead the FCS in interceptions?
            How is that relevant? Picks are offensive mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              How is that relevant? Picks are offensive mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
              I was replying to Jackdaniel who wrote that our DBs are sitting and waiting for a catch to be made rather than trying to stop the catch from being made. You can't lead the country in interceptions unless you are making at least some plays on the ball. That's how it is relevant.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Our db's need to work on their ball skills.... it's already happened numerous times, especially with Forsythe and Gentile, where they are in great position, but simiply fail to make a play on the ball and allow the receiver to make the play. It basically comes down to players making plays.

Comment

Alright we've played 6 games with the d-line 1-2 yds off the ball. I suggest we line up right on the ball for just the first half of next weeks game. If the d-line is blow away and we surrender a ton of yds and pts go back to your way. I for one am sick of this strategy. We are getting killed out there.

Comment

I agree with this. On a sloppy field you would think you would want to get up close you they can not get to our LB's or you can plug everything up in the middle like they did.

Comment

My way of thinking is if we line up 1-2 yards off the line of scrimmage to accomplish something....i'd have to evaluate wether or not we are indeed accomplishing our goal....only trouble i have...i don't know what it is they're trying to accomplish lining up so far back...bottom line...are we a better defense doing it or not?

Maybe we're too light on the line,but are we getting around the blockers....

i think stunting defense would accomplish more...don't give them the same look all the time...threaten blitz more...even if we don't actually blitz...but blitz enough so they are distracted.

If there's a blitz, it's got to be fast and furious,can't be like the last one i saw ,where the guy went up to a blocker twice his size and got grabbed..totally ineffective..., when one side has more on the line than the other side has blockers for,that one at least should get in the backfield....it has to be spread out a little so two fat guys can't impede the advancement of three by log jam or something.Different blitz packages should be used and the secondary has to be ready for the "hot" pass,....not 15 yards away from the rec'vr, someones got to be responsible for a runner that gets past the LOS .
                      Everyone on the same page...no day dream'n cause its a gamble

Begs the question...whose our defensive captain(usually LB?),who barks out orders,makes sure everyones positioned properly,takes charge, do we have one?Do we need one?I remember Mike Singletary of the old Chicago Bears was an excellent "team captain" during his playing days.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-06-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X