Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: nebraska GDT

Originally posted by goon View Post
    So was ZZ hurt and who didn't play or sat out that was mentioned earlier? In the nose bleeds I coudltn tell.
    I been looking for an offical comment on his status all day. Apparently it was a sprain, but not serious enough to keep out of this weeks game. I will no more say this and we will hear differently. I think they did take him out when UNL put the points on the board, the game was out of reach.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      So was ZZ hurt and who didn't play or sat out that was mentioned earlier? In the nose bleeds I coudltn tell.
      It was nothing serious, I'm guessing after we didn't score on the first drive in the 3rd the coaches felt it was more important to keep him fresh for NDSU. I agree with them to, their is no need to put 35+ carries on him in a game that at that point was a just get out of here as quick as possible with minimal injuries.

Is their any word on Elmore? We will need him in over Brown against power teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I been looking for an offical comment on his status all day. Apparently it was a sprain, but not serious enough to keep out of this weeks game. I will no more say this and we will hear differently. I think they did take him out when UNL put the points on the board, the game was out of reach.
        Saw him today, said it was sore, but it didn't appear to be wrapped or anything. Has a wicked rug burn on his arm though. (I saw it on tv and couldn't tell if it was paint or torn up epidermis. It was the latter. Oozing nicely.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I like us throwing out a new wrinkle on offense with the hurry up spread, it's nice to see something catch our opponent off guard. I also love our formations when we had Cam split out and Benedetto in the backfield with ZZ and Sumner. This formation causes a matchup nightmare with LB's or safeties covering Cam in space and also by clearing out the box and giving Zenner some space along with a lead blocker. We can also audible into and out of a power formation with those two on the field. I already said it after the game in another post but Sumner needs to work on his decision making, both with some of his throws and when to throw the ball away. I like the fact that he his always looking to make a play, but sometimes he just needs to step up in the pocket and throw it away to avoid the sack.

Our defense is designed around stopping more standard Valley offenses, so hopefully playing valley teams will get our defense back on track. Outside of Burke and Gentile everybody else that starts for defense saw plenty of time last year so they should know what to expect. I believe somewhere in the 2nd half of our game against und they lost their confidence and they have yet to regain it. Hopefully we come out this week and get a couple of stops right away, it will provide a big boost to our full team. It's been 3 straight games now where the defense allowed the opposition to score first, and without much resistance.

Bison are tough, but our boys can beat them. Show up and be loud! I'm hoping everything works out for me so I can be there with all of you. Go Jacks!

Comment

I watched Pellini's post game interview,him and Stig are complete opposites,the guy doesn't give anyone credit for anything.It's always their failure for this,their failure for that,he's the great fixer,bla,bla,total blowhard.He plays the part of the "angry perfectionist" coach to a tee( coaches do market themselves,the way they want to be marketed)
            As much as i don't like ole potty mouth,i have to agree with him that defense is a lot mental,and his guys were back on their heels and tentative,exactly what i see with our defense.
            NDSU plays aggressivly on defense,they don't want to give a team an inch.
            Against Nebraska ,we bent to the tune of 645 yds,that's a lot of bending.It accomplishes the goal of not giving up the big play i guess,but they don't need a big play when they can march right downfield5-15, 10-15,20-30 yds per play,and score 59 pts.It's ironic that both teams emerge from the game with concerns for their defenses, and generally OK with their offense,more Neb than us obviously.The question is...do we need to be tougher mentally on defense,become more aggressive?
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-22-2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why our defensive strategy is soo different from last year? I am not being sarcastic at all, I am genuinely perplexed... Can't get my head around it... All I know is that at this point, I dont think its the players' issue alone.

Now, about Nebraska, I knew it was going to be a struggle on the defensive side of the ball, and I also knew that the Huskers were coming off a particularly embarrasing defeat. I feel the expectation was a little high on our part if we are honest with ourselves, and personally I am fine with claiming a moral victory here. A bunch of Jackrabbits put up 20 points on a team that has never been considered a joke in college football (at least we didn't in Ohio).

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2
              Last edited by FeistyRedheadAZ; 09-22-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FeistyRedheadAZ View Post
                Can someone explain to me why our defensive strategy is soo different from last year? I am not being sarcastic at all, I am genuinely perplexed... Can't get my head around it... All I know is that at this point, I dont think its the players' issue alone.

Now, about Nebraska, I knew it was going to be a struggle on the defensive side of the ball, and I also knew that the Huskers were coming off a particularly embarrasing defeat. I feel the expectation was a little high on our part if we are honest with ourselves, and persinally I am fine with claiming a moral victory here. A bunch of Jackrabbits put up 20 points on a team that has never been considered a joke in college football (at least we didn't in Ohio).

Just my 2 cents.

It could be because Jay Bubak left.

Comment

Originally posted by FeistyRedheadAZ View Post

Now, about Nebraska, I knew it was going to be a struggle on the defensive side of the ball, and I also knew that the Huskers were coming off a particularly embarrasing defeat. I feel the expectation was a little high on our part if we are honest with ourselves, and persinally I am fine with claiming a moral victory here. A bunch of Jackrabbits put up 20 points on a team that has never been considered a joke in college football (at least we didn't in Ohio).

Just my 2 cents.

They might be putting their heads together as we speak to come up with something better...that's my hope anyway,nice to hear from you Fiesty,like your Avatar (picture)Je Ryan has no quit in him.

Comment

Just spent a few minutes reading the 'game day thread' on the Huskers' board...pretty funny reading through the point that we took the lead, 17-14. I think I'll stop reading now. One very telling comment from an astute Husker fan: "SDSU beating themselves."

Both defenses played poorly in the first quarter BUT there were times we played okay defense that could act as a foundation for adjustments as the game wore on. Unfortunately, we didn't make adjustments or didn't play or, heck, I don't know...guess we just didn't play defense.

I'm still just depressed about our showing. I'll watch the Jackrabbit Insider this evening and then pray the sun rises tomorrow. This Saturday, I think we'll see carnivorous Bison...these guys are coming to eat us and the question is Are we going to let that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      They might be putting their heads together as we speak to come up with something better...that's my hope anyway,nice to hear from you Fiesty,like your Avatar (picture)Je Ryan has no quit in him.
                      If I recall correctly, and it was this summer or even spring, there was mention of putting in defensive schemes for spread offense. They might be having problems getting this going.

Comment

SDSU fans in the stands could take a lesson from the Nebraska fans making a lot of noise when SDSU was trying to run plays. Our fans have to be engaged this weekend against NDSU. (I suppose someone could be a little sarcastic and say the Nebraska fans weren't making a lot of noise when our defense was playing).

We had high expectations for this year's defense. The player personnel are still there...so what's going on? I think by tomorrow my usual optimism will return but I sure hope the coaches are doing what it takes to enable our defense to live up to expectations and ability.

Comment

The loss of Bubach may be part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                            The loss of Bubach may be part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                            The loss of Shafrath, Tracy, Helm, Luxa have really hurt and they have not been replaced with the same talent imo

Comment

I'm watching the first quarter for the third time...I've replayed that pass interference call on Schneider several times, forward and backward. He's crossing from left to right, diagonally, and runs into a Husker going the opposite direction before the ball is released (and caught by Cam Jones for a TD). The flag comes out pretty slowly. Where was the offensive pass interference? The ref called it on #83, Schneider.

I suppose someone out there knows the fine points on pass interference but I sure don't get it.

We've had three TDs called back (2) or totally missed (1) at Memorial Stadium in the two games of the modern era.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                I'm watching the first quarter for the third time...I've replayed that pass interference call on Schneider several times, forward and backward. He's crossing from left to right, diagonally, and runs into a Husker going the opposite direction before the ball is released (and caught by Cam Jones for a TD). The flag comes out pretty slowly. Where was the offensive pass interference? The ref called it on #83, Schneider.

I suppose someone out there knows the fine points on pass interference but I sure don't get it.

We've had three TDs missed or called back at Memorial Stadium.
                                Yeah,i've watched that a few times also. He hit him after the ball was released. What also sucks is that even if he hadn't hit him the d-back wouldn't have got over there in time to break up the pass .

Comment

Working...
                                X