Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I'm glad for the donation, the only issue I have with naming it completely after 1 person is I feel it alienates some people. I went to college with Dana's daughter, and am friends with his son-in-law, so its nothing against him and I have no problem with him being part of the name. But I'm against stadiums being named after 1 person and that sole reason being $.

I'd rather have a Dykhouse-Coughlin-Alumni Stadium or something like that, would like them to tie Coughlin in someway, also feel like adding Alumni too it makes everyone feel invited.
    Well then I guess its best that you de-friend the Dykhouse son-in-law. Who knows, he even might be reader or a post to this message board. The alumni association is open to all graduates and no one pays dues and open to everyone. So there you go.

I mentioned it more than once The Stadium for State campaign, that yielded the building of CAS, was a disaster, back in the days where alums were never asked for money because the state fully funded buildings and the thought of state funds being used for a football stadium were unheard of. If you think CAS is in sad shape try the Old State Field currenty Sexauer Field on for size. It was a horribly run down place by 1960, and yes Brookings High School played games at old state field.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-06-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I'm glad for the donation, the only issue I have with naming it completely after 1 person is I feel it alienates some people. I went to college with Dana's daughter, and am friends with his son-in-law, so its nothing against him and I have no problem with him being part of the name. But I'm against stadiums being named after 1 person and that sole reason being $. I'd rather have a Dykhouse-Coughlin-Alumni Stadium or something like that, would like them to tie Coughlin in someway, also feel like adding Alumni too it makes everyone feel invited.
      It's named as it is, because Denny Sanford gave $10 million dollars at the request of Dana Dykhouse, the Dykhouse family pitched in with $2.5 million of their own, and Denny Sanford earned the naming right for the stadium and wanted it named Dana J. Dykhouse stadium. I am continually amazed at the comments that jump up, about...I would name it something else, or I want it to stay Coughlin Alumni Stadium, or whatever. Dana Dykhouse and Denny Sanford provided the $6 million for the Dykhnouse Athletic Center at the north end of the field (that's a total of $18.5 million for the football facilities) and Mr. Sanford didn't ask that either one be named Sanford Athletic facility or stadium. He did it in Dana's honor. And Dana has been influential in a lot more than just this foray and has earned the right. Just as Jerry Lohr was honored this past weekend by the naming of the Jerry Lohr College of Engineering, that honor was earned by Jerry's lead donations and leadership in getting the remaining funds for five different College of Engineering buildings. End of rant on that end (and BTW, Justin Sell indicated they were going to do something to work the Coughlin Alumni name into the facility in a proper place). I get really worked up over people who look a gift horse in the mouth and want to put the animal down!

And two final notes: for those who expressed alarm at "moving the stadium way back from the field", Justin Sell also said those facts were not correct and wanted me to let others know that the plans seen so far were preliminary "concept" drawings and everybody should just wait until the work is done which will be presented to the Regents in December. Also, the field will be turf and if and when the high school uses the stadium, playing on the turf the night before certainly is not a problem.

I share with Nidaros the fact that I wasn't certain I would live long enough to see the indoor practice (and competition for track and field) facility and/or a new football stadium. Anything can happen of course, but I hope and believe I am going to get that opportunity!!! Glory hallaluyah!!

Comment

Naming the new stadium after Dana Dykhouse is entirely appropriate and a good fit. No one has been a stronger advocate or better ambassador for SDSU in the past 35 years. Dana even played for the Jacks. I suspect that he and his First Premier banking colleague, Miles Beacom, had a big hand in convincing Mr. Sanford to make major donations to SDSU and USD. Mr. Coughlin got more than 50 years of mieage out of his $50,000 or $100,000 donation for a stadium. That's been appreciated, and he won't be forgotten. But it's time for a new generation of stadium leadership to get the recogtion they deserve.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          It's named as it is, because Denny Sanford gave $10 million dollars at the request of Dana Dykhouse, the Dykhouse family pitched in with $2.5 million of their own, and Denny Sanford earned the naming right for the stadium and wanted it named Dana J. Dykhouse stadium. I am continually amazed at the comments that jump up, about...I would name it something else, or I want it to stay Coughlin Alumni Stadium, or whatever. Dana Dykhouse and Denny Sanford provided the $6 million for the Dykhnouse Athletic Center at the north end of the field (that's a total of $18.5 million for the football facilities) and Mr. Sanford didn't ask that either one be named Sanford Athletic facility or stadium. He did it in Dana's honor. And Dana has been influential in a lot more than just this foray and has earned the right. Just as Jerry Lohr was honored this past weekend by the naming of the Jerry Lohr College of Engineering, that honor was earned by Jerry's lead donations and leadership in getting the remaining funds for five different College of Engineering buildings. End of rant on that end (and BTW, Justin Sell indicated they were going to do something to work the Coughlin Alumni name into the facility in a proper place). I get really worked up over people who look a gift horse in the mouth and want to put the animal down!

And two final notes: for those who expressed alarm at "moving the stadium way back from the field", Justin Sell also said those facts were not correct and wanted me to let others know that the plans seen so far were preliminary "concept" drawings and everybody should just wait until the work is done which will be presented to the Regents in December. Also, the field will be turf and if and when the high school uses the stadium, playing on the turf the night before certainly is not a problem.

I share with Nidaros the fact that I wasn't certain I would live long enough to see the indoor practice (and competition for track and field) facility and/or a new football stadium. Anything can happen of course, but I hope and believe I am going to get that opportunity!!! Glory hallaluyah!!
          i was surprised that the name of the future stadium was released already. I was under the impression the BoR had to give approval for that, but perhaps that's just a rubber stamp.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Well said and thanks for relaying the information about the stadium drawings.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

I am not an alum of SDSU, but growing up near Brookings i continue to follow and cheer for the Jacks. This project is not only needed but such a great opportunity to "show off " South Dakota and SDSU to so much of the world. It was only a couple years ago I saw the U. of Montana, on national tv after their come back win over the Jacks. I am so looking forward to some day seeing the Jacks and the new Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium on national tv. I agree with so much that was written in the post above. Who gives a crap what the stadiums name is, wear it with pride. Be thankful, not jealous, for men/people like the Sanford's and Dykhouse's, for their willingness to give back.

Comment

My Two cents... Call it "The Dana" for short instead of "The Dyke"

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                  My Two cents... Call it "The Dana" for short instead of "The Dyke"
                  That ain't gonna happen...LOL.

Comment

Probably not.. but...

Comment

Dana Dykhouse Stadium = DDS.

The Dentist.

For example, "I'm heading to the Dentist this weekend. Hopefully we can pull out a win."

Lame, I know.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The house that Dana built? Or just the house.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I would just refer to it as "The House" as in this is our house.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            I'm guessing it will eventually be shortened to "the Dykhouse" or "the Dyk" when speaking among fellow jackrabbits.

I'm fine with the name, but we'll take some light hearted ribbing from our opponents I'm sure.
                            I'm fine with the name too. My point was,after calling it CAS for so many years it will take a little getting used to..

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Naming the new stadium after Dana Dykhouse is entirely appropriate and a good fit. No one has been a stronger advocate or better ambassador for SDSU in the past 35 years. Dana even played for the Jacks. I suspect that he and his First Premier banking colleague, Miles Beacom, had a big hand in convincing Mr. Sanford to make major donations to SDSU and USD. Mr. Coughlin got more than 50 years of mieage out of his $50,000 or $100,000 donation for a stadium. That's been appreciated, and he won't be forgotten. But it's time for a new generation of stadium leadership to get the recogtion they deserve.
                              I do agree we have gotten a ton mileage out of Mr. Coughlin, who also gave funds to build the campanile. I believe he was in the last years of his life when gave the last gifts that gave us CAS. One of his neatest gifts to SDSU was a set of new jerseys after SDSU defeated Wisconsin in 1935. He gave in a time when there was no foundation no one out looking for major donors except for the Stadium for State guys, so it goes to show that this Carthage SD kid did not forget where he came from. I have no idea what his gifts translate into current dollars but probably do not amount to 3.5 million that the Dykhouse family has given. We should be more current in facilities for our Student/Athletes and that is what is going on now. The dressing room that was built with a Coughlin gift was really in sad condition, and apparently some repairs have been made so the visiting team can dress without have to track back and forth from Frost. I think Dana does deserve the honor in naming and yes its more with the times. Changing name seems to be very appropriate since a new facility is replacing the current one.

Comment

I just dont like corporate sponsor names at the college level. To many people important to the university are overlooked just because they didnt have millions to donate. Frankly most of this wouldnt be happening or moving a long this fast or having us being D-1 if it wasnt for Peggy. So it would be a fitting tribute to the person who had the vision and dedication to see it happen because she beleived in us when often we didnt even beleive in ouselfs. Peggy Miller Stadium has a ring to it, but I didnt have a couple million around to offer my opinion. I think the tradition of coughlin is worthy to keep as much as some think its only fitting to bestow a name because its attached to money. Whats important is that Dykhouse is a SDSU guy all the way. Naming the engineering hall after Lohr is great since he has proven to be an SDSU guy for many years.

Could you imagine if Alabama had a corporate sponor give enough to update the stadium and name it Ebay park or Paypal stadium, something like that. it just seems wrong. Oddly enough It was originally Denny stadium after their president then added Bryant to it making it Bryant Denny stadium after remodeling and upgrades and additions happened to the origional stadium.

I know we arent Alabama or BCS or a tradition of greatness like they have, but the idea you can honor the past and present in away that works.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X