X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
    A few thoughts:

1. The east side is made for butts; the west side will be built for bucks. The west side amenities are what are being counted on to pay for the stadium and it isn't too hard to imagine that east side amenities were cut to bare bones to do up the west side. Long before schematics were released, I hinted that that risers would be constructed of aluminum or structural steel rather than concrete as a cost saving measure due to the ballooning west side construction cost. This building program is predicated on the sale of expensive west side amenities, counting on the business community to purchase premium seating during good times and bad to pay back bonds. Empty east side bleacher seats won't do that.

2. Certain "wants" in stadium projects are funded after the fact. At TCF Bank stadium on the U of M campus, there was not money in the budget for the brick veneer that rings the wall of the playing field, for the HOF or the Plaza on the open end (currently hidden under temporary seating). An anonymous donor funding the brick veneer, T.Denny the HOF and the Prior Lake Dakota Tribe the plaza. In the new professional stadiums in Mlps, the owners were and are constantly spending their own money above and beyond the budgeted for amenities. A north end scoreboard might take a nice gift ("Jackrabbit fans, please direct your attention to the Flandreau Sioux Tribe Scoreboard high above the Dyk-Sac....").

3. 10 urinals, 4 urinals, who cares. At least they aren't porta-potties.

4. It makes absolutely no difference now, but I still wonder why it had to be built so big? The south end could have been left open, reduced capacity and saved some cost. Nice weather, a ranked Jackrabbit team, and less than 10k show up for another ranked (albeit unsexy) Sycamore team. Lot of blue bleachers.
    The stadium capacity wasn't designed based on last Saturday, next year, or 10 years from now. It's designed for 40-50 years from now.

Comment

Abut I still wonder why it had to be built so big?
      Could It be that Doner D wanted it to be X biger than program F's? (Single letter are used as variables)

Comment

I don't think we should be critical because the stadium wasn't full. It shows that we have room for growth in our fan base. If it had been built smaller to always be filled, growth could not occur. To expect a 50% increase in ticket sales in one season is really not reasonable.
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Just seems odd to question the size of the stadium a little over a week after setting a attendance record with the smallest amount of Bison fans that i've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Just seems odd to question the size of the stadium a little over a week after setting a attendance record with the smallest amount of Bison fans that i've seen.
            Hobo day should be a sell out imho with that team coming up and should be a critical game. Will be a good test for the fan to fill it with out a few thousand from ndsu helping.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I believe the final seating in the stadium is supposed to be north of 19,000. I was disappointied in Saturday's crowd, but it seems like every year we have a klunker as far as attendance. With a good Hobo Day crowd (especially if approaching another sellout) 2015 attendance may surpass the previous attendance mark set in 2009.

2015 Attendance first 4 games (Average 13,067)

Average attendance past 10 years:
              2014 - 10,936
              2013 - 10,694
              2012 - 11,843
              2011 - 12,105
              2010 - 10,023
              2009 - 13,265
              2008 - 9,907
              2007 - 8,321
              2006 - 8,054
              2005 - 7,597

All this is just to illustrate that I don't think this stadium is overbuilt by any means. If our average attendance will be between 13,000 - 14,000 this year and we have 2 potential sellouts in the 17,000 capacity stadium this season, I don't think the 19,000 capacity is too big by any means. I think this stadium has and will continue to get attendance growing again. The lack of seats I think actually stunted the growth of attendance, seeing the peak in 2009 and inconsistent numbers from 2010 - 2014.
              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

A
                4. It makes absolutely no difference now, but I still wonder why it had to be built so big? The south end could have been left open, reduced capacity and saved some cost. Nice weather, a ranked Jackrabbit team, and less than 10k show up for another ranked (albeit unsexy) Sycamore team. Lot of blue bleachers.
                You can't sell 19,000 $40 tickets in a 10,000 seat stadium....
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                  I don't think we should be critical because the stadium wasn't full. It shows that we have room for growth in our fan base. If it had been built smaller to always be filled, growth could not occur. To expect a 50% increase in ticket sales in one season is really not reasonable.
                  I've been accused of being overly optimistic about our potential for filling the place but I haven't changed my opinion. West River Jack's comment is right on expectations of a huge increase in fan numbers in one season. A couple of years ago, our smallest crowd would be in the 4000 to 4500 range. Now we're disappointed with a crowd of 9400. I'm pleased many think 9400 is unacceptable. JackrabbitGuy writes about a season average of 13,000 to 14,000...we will do that this year. Next year a lot of curious but casual fans will attend just to see the place. We'll hook a lot of them.

The product on the field is good...great competitors coming to the stadium to play what I think everyone will agree is a consistently potent Jackrabbit program. Keep up the winning and the crowds will show up.

Comment

Something just occurred to me, and I'd like the input of the board on this point. The last home game in November is being billed as the final game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. Does that mean that a decision has already been made not to bid for potential playoff game(s) to allow final stadium construction to proceed unencumbered?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                      Something just occurred to me, and I'd like the input of the board on this point. The last home game in November is being billed as the final game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. Does that mean that a decision has already been made not to bid for potential playoff game(s) to allow final stadium construction to proceed unencumbered?

Great question. Along those lines, what happens if we get a seed and get home field without bidding?
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think you are likely reading too much into it. It is simply the last scheduled game for the stadium.

Comment

I believe it is billed as such because it is the the only known last date. If we seed we host as long as we're the higher seed. Sell has said the bids will go out too, we have a great home field advantage that we don't want to give up. Plenty can be accomplished after mid december(I'm an optimist), besides the finishing work continues no matter what on the suites and club levels. The stands will go up quickly and an extra month would not delay that process.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I think you are likely reading too much into it. It is simply the last scheduled game for the stadium.
                            Yes, you are probably quite right. No matter what the last game of this season would be tagged as last at CAS. But still the question remains, will the athletic department pursue home playoff games this year?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I've been accused of being overly optimistic about our potential for filling the place but I haven't changed my opinion. West River Jack's comment is right on expectations of a huge increase in fan numbers in one season. A couple of years ago, our smallest crowd would be in the 4000 to 4500 range. Now we're disappointed with a crowd of 9400. I'm pleased many think 9400 is unacceptable. JackrabbitGuy writes about a season average of 13,000 to 14,000...we will do that this year. Next year a lot of curious but casual fans will attend just to see the place. We'll hook a lot of them.

The product on the field is good...great competitors coming to the stadium to play what I think everyone will agree is a consistently potent Jackrabbit program. Keep up the winning and the crowds will show up.
                              And that 9400 would have been closer to 11,000 if the students would not have had a long weekend.

Comment

Yes, you are probably quite right. No matter what the last game of this season would be tagged as last at CAS. But still the question remains, will the athletic department pursue home playoff games this year?

Yes, Sell has stated they will pursue home playoff games if given the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X