New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

As an NDSU fan, I can say I am looking forward to it. The visitor stands and lack of restrooms and concession stands in the current CAS are sad. The entire conference will have quietly assembled a nice group of stadiums. Youngstown is incredible overall. The new SIU and Illinois State stadiums look great. Fargo and UNI are good. The Yotes is still a D2 looking facility. Western Illinois and Indiana State still need some uogrades. I heard Missouri State is planning something

Comment

Originally posted by gabe01 View Post
      As an NDSU fan, I can say I am looking forward to it. The visitor stands and lack of restrooms and concession stands in the current CAS are sad. The entire conference will have quietly assembled a nice group of stadiums. Youngstown is incredible overall. The new SIU and Illinois State stadiums look great. Fargo and UNI are good. The Yotes is still a D2 looking facility. Western Illinois and Indiana State still need some uogrades. I heard Missouri State is planning something
      Nothing gets by you Bison fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        Nothing gets by you Bison fans.
        Attention to detail my friend! I'm actually excited for you guys.

Comment

The request for proposals in regards to Construction Manager at Risk for the New Stadium project has been posted.

From the RFP:
          Depending on design progress, goals for the project are to begin construction of the new football stadium by either spring or fall of 2014, with the stadium opening for the fall 2015 or 2016 seasons.
          Features will include seating capacity of approximately 18,000 spectators, premium seating (suites, lodge boxes, and club seating), new field turf system, concession facilities, operation and support facilities, visiting team locker facilities, broadcast, meeting, coaching, and press facilities, restroom facilities, and concourse and circulation spaces.

http://www.state.sd.us/boa/ose/Adver...3_CMR_sdsu.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
            The request for proposals in regards to Construction Manager at Risk for the New Stadium project has been posted.

From the RFP:
            Depending on design progress, goals for the project are to begin construction of the new football stadium by either spring or fall of 2014, with the stadium opening for the fall 2015 or 2016 seasons.
            Features will include seating capacity of approximately 18,000 spectators, premium seating (suites, lodge boxes, and club seating), new field turf system, concession facilities, operation and support facilities, visiting team locker facilities, broadcast, meeting, coaching, and press facilities, restroom facilities, and concourse and circulation spaces.

http://www.state.sd.us/boa/ose/Adver...3_CMR_sdsu.pdf

Stop this project until they get rid of field turf!

or maybe we can convince them to value engineer it out. , yeah on second thought, that is a better cry. VALUE ENGINEER THE FIELD TURF OUT!

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              Stop this project until they get rid of field turf!

or maybe we can convince them to value engineer it out. , yeah on second thought, that is a better cry. VALUE ENGINEER THE FIELD TURF OUT!
              As a cost control guy, I am sure I could find a way to make the field turf look crazy expensive... I mean it works with the government on the project I am at right now!

Comment

Hopefully we can make our feelings known regarding the way the stadium will be built. The pitch of the seats is way too shallow and the seats are way too far away from the field. If you are asked to pony up for a suite, are you going to want to sit 100 yards away? The current design puts those suites a long darn ways away from the field.

Hopefully, AD Sell will hold some town hall style meetings to take comments or at least explain their thoughts before final design. We will be using this facility as fans for the next 5 decades at least, so we should have some input. Food for thought.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  Hopefully we can make our feelings known regarding the way the stadium will be built. The pitch of the seats is way too shallow and the seats are way too far away from the field. If you are asked to pony up for a suite, are you going to want to sit 100 yards away? The current design puts those suites a long darn ways away from the field.

Hopefully, AD Sell will hold some town hall style meetings to take comments or at least explain their thoughts before final design. We will be using this facility as fans for the next 5 decades at least, so we should have some input. Food for thought.
                  The talk from the Administrators is the next 60 days are crucial in lining up takers for the suites as they will in affect be the debt service on the bonds used to build the stadium. I would think your concerns would be recognized by a prospective suite donor, but I suspect also, there will be some town hall gatherings. I had not noticed this but am more concerned about wide enough aisles and hand rails.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post

ULaw: I may disagree to a point. I, too, would not pony up for a suite that is 100 yards away from the field. I can't imagine anyone would. I've never seen a stadium with boxes that far from the field. Okay, I know you're pushing it a little to make a point. I think there has to be a balance between what would be ideal viewing, accessibility and safety (since I'm a generation older than you, KULaw, I have to start thinking about how hard it's going to be for me to climb steps that are too steep...I'm not there yet but may have to think about it! ). I'm going to place some trust in the professionals who will do the design work. A lot has been learned about great and terrible stadium designs and some of the newer stadiums I've been in indicate to me that the engineers and architects have a good feel for how to do it best. There must be some studies showing optimum viewing angles that also take into account accessibility, safety, the growing girth of Americans etc.

The Gopher's stadium, in my view, is well done. However, I wouldn't want the angle of the seating in the lower bowl to be any less steep...it's about as stretched out as I thought was appropriate. I think the Twins stadium is well done...they shoe-horned that stadium into some cramped space. The seating angle of attack is steeper than the Gopher's stadium...probably about right in my book. The Colorado Rockies upper deck, seemed to me when I was there this summer, is almost a little too steep...but only almost. The Skydome in Toronto has comfortable seating (and, nobody's there so you can stretch out!). There are some good older stadiums: Notre Dame's angle is good (but those benches designed for men who weighed 150 lbs and women who all weighed 120... )

I think the key will be to have designers with proven expertise and finished products that one can visit and actually see and feel the seating. I hope we hear about stadiums they've designed. We'll commission Goon and Joe Boo to take road trips to test them out and report back.

I haven't studied the drawings presented as much as some of you but the angle of attack does not necessarily bother me.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the plan is to build the east, south and Press box/Suite section, while leaving the current west side up. Then demo the west stands and finish the west side the next summer. Looking at the plans it looks like they are building the Press box as close to the current west side stands as possible. If we were starting from scratch and not having to work around what's there and keep playing football then I'd guess they box and seats would be closer to the field.
                      Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                        If I remember correctly, the plan is to build the east, south and Press box/Suite section, while leaving the current west side up. Then demo the west stands and finish the west side the next summer. Looking at the plans it looks like they are building the Press box as close to the current west side stands as possible. If we were starting from scratch and not having to work around what's there and keep playing football then I'd guess they box and seats would be closer to the field.
                        That's a good point.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Something to keep in mind re: the rise of the seats in the new stadium is that this thing is (still, I believe) being designed with seating expansion in mind--probably foremost a second grandstand level above the suites strucuture.

To put a second deck on top of that tall three-floor structure of suites and coaches' and media boxes, the second deck's slope is going to be pretty steep--the steeper you make the lower level seating's slope, you make the second-level expansion seating even more steep.

If you want a stadium that you can expand later, you have to make design decisions right out of the gate to make possible that future expansion.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Something to keep in mind re: the rise of the seats in the new stadium is that this thing is (still, I believe) being designed with seating expansion in mind--probably foremost a second grandstand level above the suites strucuture..
                            Great. Room for even more Bison fans.

Too soon?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                              Great. Room for even more Bison fans.

Too soon?
                              Yes.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As expected, the stadium is on the Board of Regents Agenda for October 9th in Spearfish. Pictures are the same already previewed but a little more information in the 9 pages of text information before the drawings.

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...October/14.pdf

Additional information that has been discussed on the board:

1. Chair back fixed seats between the 10 yard lines. Bench style seating outside of the ten yard lines on both ends and bench seating through the south endzone.
                                2. An "accelerated" option would have the stadium complete by 2015. I'm going to still plan on 2016 but interesting that there is another option

Comment

Working...
                                X