Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    I know we will have a limited budget, but one thing I've really gotten to enjoy at newer stadiums is the concourse level concessions where you can still see the field. I haven't been to TCF Bank Stadium, but I believe they have that on the 2nd floor concourse. I don't see that ability with this stadium.

My kids are grown up now, but when they were younger I always enjoyed having the open concourses. It allowed me to take kids down for concessions or to the restrooms and not feel like I was missing a bunch of the game. In that environment, I could also walk the concourse while watching the game. It also gave a chance for the kids to run a little and still be part of the game. As I get closer to the years where my prostrate starts to fail, I can see the benefit of having easy access to the restrooms during the game action too. The other benefit with that type of design is it promotes more concession sales during non-peak sales at halftime.

Maybe one option that would not break the bank is an open air deck level in the southwest corner of the stadium. We've got a void there in the new design. I could see an open deck area that would connect to the two portions of the horse shoe. You could have Nick's Burgers grilling in the back and restrooms off to the sides. I could even see a game area off the back where kids could throw or kick footballs in an enclosed net area. This would really promote a family atmosphere that would build a tradition with future Jackrabbit fans.

As SF_Rabbit_Fan stated well above, "Its amenities were no longer up to the standards of the tennants." I'd hate to say that about a new stadium on campus.
    I don't know where this fits in to the latest drawings, but earlier drawings had walkways above the stands on the south side. Maybe that's been axed due to budget constraints.

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Very sweet. This will be the nicest stadium in South Dakota, by far, and will be among the best in the conference, if not the best.
      This space for lease.

Comment

I believe the President alluded to the next 60 days as being crucial. I believe he was talking about the sky boxes and their marketability. We will need a number of large companies to buy into this concept, because the receipts from sky boxes will be used to retire the bonds. This is a major consideration.

Comment

I would guess that stadium conforming to the drawing above is probably upwards of $150-200 million nowadays. There's a lot of brick there, and note that it looks like all of the area underneath all of the grandstands, even in the south end zone, is enclosed for the most part.

Probably won't happen unless somebody wins one of those $400 million Powerball jackpots, or otherwise a MAJOR (i.e. $50-100 million) donation comes drifting down out of the sky.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I would guess that stadium conforming to the drawing above is probably upwards of $150-200 million nowadays. There's a lot of brick there, and note that it looks like all of the area underneath all of the grandstands, even in the south end zone, is enclosed for the most part.

Probably won't happen unless somebody wins one of those $400 million Powerball jackpots, or otherwise a MAJOR (i.e. $50-100 million) donation comes drifting down out of the sky.
            Looking at the newer sdbor plans again, it looks like there will be room to walk above/behind the seats on the east and south sides, but the brick is obviously not there. I hope they can do something better than chain link to enclose the concourses.

This stadium is going to feel very big, especially if we get a full length of suites on top. It looks easily expandable on the east side, as well as the SE and SW corners. Temporary or permanent bleachers or berms could be put between the Dykhouse and stands on both sides. I'm pretty excited, the Dykhouse, SJAC, and new stadium will give us the best football facilities in the conference. More importantly, it will leave us in a position to be ready for whatever conference/allignment changes come down the pipe from a facilities standpoint.

For the sake of comparison, Augustana's stadium has ~21 rows of seats. Our new one has planned 28 + 7 on the west, edit: 28 on the east/south (I counted 28 rows in a picture of the lower level of TCF Bank Stadium in Minnesota). It looks to me like Augustana's stands are all up to the exterior dotted line, whereas the new CAS is about 3-5 yards behind that line except in the corners. Our new stands also extend to the back of the endzone whereas theirs extend only to the goal line. This place is going to feel BIG.

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I like the preliminary design. But, I am looking at it relative to existing facility, an immense upgrade. One other comment, after watching the game in Memorial Stadium yesterday, I have no worry that any seat in the new Coughlin (or whatever it is named) will feel close to the game.
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Whatever they name the new stadium, I sincerely hope they keep "Coughlin-Alumni" as part of it... example "Avera Field at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium" or "Coughlin-Alumni Field at Daktronics Stadium"*

*Let's face it, we all know who the major sponsor would be, and it probably won't be Avera or Daktronics LOL.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                  I like the preliminary design. But, I am looking at it relative to existing facility, an immense upgrade. One other comment, after watching the game in Memorial Stadium yesterday, I have no worry that any seat in the new Coughlin (or whatever it is named) will feel close to the game.
                  If what you mean by this is all seats will seam far away, then i agree. I had that same takeaway while sitting just 38 rows away on the 20Yd line. (@ Memorial)

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                    If what you mean by this is all seats will seam far away, then i agree. I had that same takeaway while sitting just 38 rows away on the 20Yd line. (@ Memorial)
                    Yeah, the seats are far away at Memorial because it originally has a track around it.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                      Whatever they name the new stadium, I sincerely hope they keep "Coughlin-Alumni" as part of it... example "Avera Field at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium" or "Coughlin-Alumni Field at Daktronics Stadium"*

*Let's face it, we all know who the major sponsor would be, and it probably won't be Avera or Daktronics LOL.
                      lol Kayti and I were just having this discussion on the way back from Omaha today, that we hope they keep it Coughin-Alumni.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                        lol Kayti and I were just having this discussion on the way back from Omaha today, that we hope they keep it Coughin-Alumni.
                        Coughlin name deserves to stay. Charles was indeed very generous for his time, but not so sure about the Alumni part. I was alive and a alert high school student when the Staduim for State fund drive was going on.Building a staduim without any state funds was not at all a popular idea. Check VJ Smith College on the Hill account, he describes that some thought the project was more Ohio State than South Dakota State. HM Briggs pused the idea and if he had not we would still be playing at State Field, now a track and field facility that is not in good shape. To think the Bison fans complain about porta poties, but you should have seen the restroom facility, at old State Field. Gross, is how I remember it.

The fund raising committee went after long term commitment pledges and that pissed off a bunch of alumni, many who have since passed on, but there were many bad tastes in mouths for a long time. Plus the students voted down an assessment I believe three times, so that is why there are no east stands, and we have porta poties and yellow bleachers. They just did not have the money to put in decent aisles and hand rails, which are a necessity for those whose balance is not 100 per cent and you sit in the 18th row.

True some alumni did meet their commitments and that is why the alumni are included in the naming. We are in a different era, one of naming rights that generate cash. For that reason alone, I dont expect to see the CAS name go forward. Tradition tells me it should, but I have my doubts, Just my opinion.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-22-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Coughlin name deserves to stay. Charles was indeed very generous for his time, but not so sure about the Alumni part. I was alive and a alert high school student when the Staduim for State fund drive was going on.Building a staduim without any state funds was not at all a popular idea. Check VJ Smith College on the Hill account, he describes that some thought the project was more Ohio State than South Dakota State. HM Briggs pused the idea and if he had not we would still be playing at State Field, now a track and field facility that is not in good shape. To think the Bison fans complain about porta poties, but you should have seen the restroom facility, at old State Field. Gross, is how I remember it.

The fund raising committee went after long term commitment pledges and that pissed off a bunch of alumni, many who have since passed on, but there were many bad tastes in mouths for a long time. Plus the students voted down an assessment I believe three times, so that is why there are no east stands, and we have porta poties and yellow bleachers. They just did not have the money to put in decent aisles and hand rails, which are a necessity for those whose balance is not 100 per cent and you sit in the 18th row.

True some alumni did meet their commitments and that is why the alumni are included in the naming. We are in a different era, one of naming rights that generate cash. For that reason alone, I dont expect to see the CAS name go forward. Tradition tells me it should, but I have my doubts, Just my opinion.
                          How about coughlin and friends? Frankly I think its more inclusive and true since many will give gifts that are not just alunmi. So its kind of fun to just say it as coughlin and friends. Its better then some corporate donor who is only giving money to have their name on the building. I think building names should be after alumni or people with a long history involved at sdsu.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            How about coughlin and friends? Frankly I think its more inclusive and true since many will give gifts that are not just alunmi. So its kind of fun to just say it as coughlin and friends. Its better then some corporate donor who is only giving money to have their name on the building. I think building names should be after alumni or people with a long history involved at sdsu.
                            I dont think we have that luxury of picking our own friendly name. I believe Justin Sell, in speaking in general terms of the new staduim, has mentioned the marketability from naming rights. Your point is well taken, about alumni, we do have a bunch of generous friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I dont think we have that luxury of picking our own friendly name. I believe Justin Sell, in speaking in general terms of the new staduim, has mentioned the marketability from naming rights. Your point is well taken, about alumni, we do have a bunch of generous friends.
                              The trend that a lot of stadiums have been going with is keeping the stadium name and giving naming rights to the field , aka Mall of America Field at the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome. For example , in our case it could be First Premier Field , or Daktronics or whatever Field at Coughlin - Alumni Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                The trend that a lot of stadiums have been going with is keeping the stadium name and giving naming rights to the field , aka Mall of America Field at the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome. For example , in our case it could be First Premier Field , or Daktronics or whatever Field at Coughlin - Alumni Stadium.
                                There you go, I stand to be corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                X