Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I've never had any issues with BHS using the stadium. But I would think BHS would want to play in a smaller venue after this stadium is finished. They just don't draw enough fans and playing back on the high school "campus" would fit them better.
    There are several in the Brookings community that would like to see the High School build their own new stadium. (I have been told that the area where the little league baseball fields are currently would be a preferred site - although I don't think any planning has been done for it). The current stadium is probably too large for the HS games and sort of kills the Atmosphere. The new stadium would likely be worse.

With that said, I was told by one of the High School baseball coaches that the bids for the new turf at SDSU includes artificial turf at both baseball and softball in addition to the football stadium. BHS has been in contact with the same turf company, and is expecting a significant discount for new artificial for Bob Sheldon Field (Baseball and Football - currently used for JV games, practices, etc.). The discount would be shared by all 5 venues getting the upgrade, since it would mean keeping the equipment and personnel in one place for an extended period of time, and could reduce the QTY of maintenance equipment required.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I'm not against BHS using the stadium. I'm not for it either, though. BHS should pay for the privilege, just like anybody else would.

BHS hasn't been using the stadium for free up to this point, why would they or anybody expect to use it for free in the future?
      I am not saying anything about being free. I don't know for certain that this past season was free. I am sure they paid something if the cost of the lighting was totally amortized. I guess I need to remind you and others that lighting at CAS happened because the city schools and park districts put up the money. Prior to that time, there was no lights at CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
        There are several in the Brookings community that would like to see the High School build their own new stadium. (I have been told that the area where the little league baseball fields are currently would be a preferred site - although I don't think any planning has been done for it). The current stadium is probably too large for the HS games and sort of kills the Atmosphere. The new stadium would likely be worse.

With that said, I was told by one of the High School baseball coaches that the bids for the new turf at SDSU includes artificial turf at both baseball and softball in addition to the football stadium. BHS has been in contact with the same turf company, and is expecting a significant discount for new artificial for Bob Sheldon Field (Baseball and Football - currently used for JV games, practices, etc.). The discount would be shared by all 5 venues getting the upgrade, since it would mean keeping the equipment and personnel in one place for an extended period of time, and could reduce the QTY of maintenance equipment required.
        This makes sense and probably will happen. Rep pts given.

Comment

The BHS also paid for the use of the indoor practice facility prior to playing at the Dome for the high school playoffs. There are no free rides out there for facilities.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I am not saying anything about being free. I don't know for certain that this past season was free. I am sure they paid something if the cost of the lighting was totally amortized. I guess I need to remind you and others that lighting at CAS happened because the city schools and park districts put up the money. Prior to that time, there was no lights at CAS.
            I'm not disagreeing with you or anyone else.

I'm aware of the history, which is why I said they have not been using the stadium for free (to my knowledge), implying that their payment for lights has covered their "fees" up to this point. Maybe they have some years of rent left from that original payment for lights. I would be surprised and disappointed if it was an indefinite agreement.

I definitely appreciate what BHS did to help SDSU, but it was a mutually beneficial agreement. Both sides got something. SDSU got lights, BHS got a place to play. SDSU needs to honor the original agreement, but BHS needs to be prepared for a new agreement if the old one has expired and they want to continue playing at Dykhouse Stadium.

That's all I'm saying. No sour grapes or BHS hate, and I'm well aware of the history and reasons why BHS has played there. I just want a fair deal for everyone involved.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I'm not disagreeing with you or anyone else.

I'm aware of the history, which is why I said they have not been using the stadium for free (to my knowledge), implying that their payment for lights has covered their "fees" up to this point. Maybe they have some years of rent left from that original payment for lights. I would be surprised and disappointed if it was an indefinite agreement.

I definitely appreciate what BHS did to help SDSU, but it was a mutually beneficial agreement. Both sides got something. SDSU got lights, BHS got a place to play. SDSU needs to honor the original agreement, but BHS needs to be prepared for a new agreement if the old one has expired and they want to continue playing at Dykhouse Stadium.

That's all I'm saying. No sour grapes or BHS hate, and I'm well aware of the history and reasons why BHS has played there. I just want a fair deal for everyone involved.
              My apologies. Back in my high school days BHS played all their football at Old State Field now Sexauer Track and basketball at the barn so this arrangement goes back a long ways. When they tore out the lights at Old State Field, BHS went back to the field at Pioneer Park. Yes there was a football field there. Building the high school at its current location on Medary and 5th S, changed the relationship. I would assume that BHS always paid something. Not having numbers but its much like USD and playoffs. USD has moved the time up of their home games in order to accommodate HS playoffs. Something tells me there is good money in letting high schools use college facilities.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 12-29-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

an open records request of the school district should give you all the information for contracts between the local school district and sdsu. all i see here is speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                  an open records request of the school district should give you all the information for contracts between the local school district and sdsu. all i see here is speculation.
                  Okay Genius go do it.

Comment

Okay Genius go do it.
                    why the name calling? i'm just trying to help get the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                      why the name calling? i'm just trying to help get the facts.
                      Well you brought up speculation and you had a genius like suggestion to go get facts, so be on with it already. Go get those facts that are readily available. Why should I be burdened with that task?

Comment

Well you brought up speculation and you had a genius like suggestion to go get facts, so be on with it already. Go get those facts that are readily available. Why should I be burdened with that task?
                        You are out of line.

Behave.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I heard about this when it came out too. Before CAS had lights, there were times then they would go over to Volga and practice on their field before night games to get practice under the lights. I don't know how much they paid for that or even if they did.

Who owns the soccer field? If Brookings owns that could they trade football games for soccer games? Maybe that was a 50/50 between SDSU and they city.

Comment

Has Sell been asked by media what is status of stadium construction?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              Who owns the soccer field? If Brookings owns that could they trade football games for soccer games? Maybe that was a 50/50 between SDSU and they city.
                              The City of Brookings owns Fishback Soccer Complex. Yes there is a contract between SDSU and the City for a number of facilities. Some other agreements allow usage between, BHS and SDSU and BPRD.
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post

Why would BHS be in contact with the turf company? They do not own Bob Sheldon Field.
                                We...ARE...STATE!
                                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X