X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    This.

Exactly the issue. Some of the sub-contractors came in with higher bids than anticipated and some came in as lone bids. My understanding is they are re-bidding some of the work and are going to be back in budget.

I think everyone needs to pump the brakes on the doom and gloom. No offense against WestSide, but he is the only one who said anything about it being out of budget and didn't provide any source as to where that info is coming from or why it is accurate.
    Why do I need to give more? I reported what I was told from a very reliable source. We are currently sitting six million over budget and construction won't start until this is resolved. Seems reasonable to me. As i have said before, I am confident it will be resolved and construction will move forward. Isn't this the type of info that message boards are useful for or should we just argue about the labeling of scholarship recipients vs. PWO's?
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      Isn't this the type of info that message boards are useful for or should we just argue about the labeling of scholarship recipients vs. PWO's?
      Its a slow day, why not argue about something. Oh that's right yesterday was Christmas. Well this six million over budget means the suites will not have gold plated plumbing like the home of Jim and Tammy Bakker. Seriously I understand sub contractors not coming in line with the contract cost. It gives the engineers headaches no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I dont think its even started.
        What was going on durimg the football season in the cordoned off area behind (west) of the west bleachers? Looked to me like work on footings and other prelim work.

Comment

I have any number of acerbic comments on engineering, project management, economic predictions (notably the risibility of the "low inflation rate" we're "enjoying"), and public project finance in general that (for the most part, I guess) I shall forbear for the nonce, as I have no idea what the situation surrounding the stadium project actually is right now (a situation I suspect most but perhaps not all posters share).
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            I have the solution! NO FIELD TURF!!! BOOM $5M savings! Simple answer(my prayers are answered) life is good!
            I gotta admit...it's quick and easy and why not? I think we all can say grass is our homefield advantage. Especially since the team can practice on turf now when they need to.
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I'm all for natural grass if we don't have to share it with a high school team and if we have the resources to keep it up after after severe weather and answer is no to both. Bring on turf!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                I'm all for natural grass if we don't have to share it with a high school team and if we have the resources to keep it up after after severe weather and answer is no to both. Bring on turf!
                Turf is going to happen. Other groups (intramurals) from campus and community will use the field when not in use by football team.

Comment

Exactly the complex will have more varied uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                    I gotta admit...it's quick and easy and why not? I think we all can say grass is our homefield advantage. Especially since the team can practice on turf now when they need to.
                    It's typically decent early in the season, but nothing says small-time football like a muddy field torn up by high schoolers or one that is literally frozen solid. Sure, a frozen field is an advantage, but it's also going to get someone killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      It's typically decent early in the season, but nothing says small-time football like a muddy field torn up by high schoolers or one that is literally frozen solid. Sure, a frozen field is an advantage, but it's also going to get someone killed.
                      Exactly. There is a reason why there are not many natural surfaces left in college stadiums in our neck of the woods. You can't have a first rate stadium and a field that looks like a ill kept pasture.

Now, if one of the real grass supporters would like to pony up the money to keep grass in pristine condition, I'm sure the department would have listened. Any takers?
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        Exactly. There is a reason why there are not many natural surfaces left in college stadiums in our neck of the woods. You can't have a first rate stadium and a field that looks like a ill kept pasture.

Now, if one of the real grass supporters would like to pony up the money to keep grass in pristine condition, I'm sure the department would have listened. Any takers?
                        My point (for now) is this. It is likely the easiest thing to take out (and puts us suspiciously close to on budget #) and add in at a later date. Can we all not agree that if we could get the rest done we could live with grass until new funds become available for turf? Taking other things out changes the over all design. And unless you can 'shell space' in a stadium it's likely adding deleted amenities at a later date would cost more than double. The 'do nothing' option for the field would likely allow us to get going even if the new bidding process only saves 1M dollars which isn't that unlikely. 6M difference is A LOT!

Not sure I remember exactly but doesn't this make us 10% over budget? That's no chump change.

Comment

My point (for now) is this. It is likely the easiest thing to take out (and puts us suspiciously close to on budget #) and add in at a later date. Can we all not agree that if we could get the rest done we could live with grass until new funds become available for turf? Taking other things out changes the over all design. And unless you can 'shell space' in a stadium it's likely adding deleted amenities at a later date would cost more than double. The 'do nothing' option for the field would likely allow us to get going even if the new bidding process only saves 1M dollars which isn't that unlikely. 6M difference is A LOT!

Not sure I remember exactly but doesn't this make us 10% over budget? That's no chump change.
                          Whether or not any of us agree is irrelevant. It's not going to happen.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            Whether or not any of us agree is irrelevant. It's not going to happen.
                            I would agree, We are getting turf. You have to consider this budget or total contract is 65 million, and details beyond my comprehension.

I would imagine Justin Sell is going to have sit down with Brookings High School and talk about their future use of the new stadium. I don't know how far into the future this working agreement extended to. At the time there would not have been any lights at CAS if the High school had not step up with the funds to install them in exchange for using CAS. That was 2002 or thereabouts.

Comment

The turf is one of the more important amenities in the new stadium to maximize use for university and community. No way they pull this piece out for cost savings.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                The turf is one of the more important amenities in the new stadium to maximize use for university and community. No way they pull this piece out for cost savings.
                                So. They are willing to forsake the project over turf. Point taken.

Comment

Working...
                                X