New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

The LOI form says to return by May 1, with a please, and the cover letter says" No payment is due now. Simply return the completed Letter of Intent for your premium seating selection.

A stadium Gift is required for each of the premium areas offered in the new stadium. The Stadium Gift is equal to the annual payment of the premium seating option selected and due by August 1, 2016.

I don't know if this helps, but I have a call into the ticket office about another matte, but one question I have and that is do the electronic transfer contributions monthly count towards the stadium gifts, even though I now give $150 monthly. I suspect they don't but will get an answer and report back here.

Comment

I just got a return call from Dan Haverkamp, who I believe helps out in the ticket office, but his name and number was listed on the cover letter that came with the LOI. I suspect he has other duties besides handling tickets. I asked him if my monthly electronic transfers of $150 per month counted towards the Stadium Gifts. His reply was no they did not. I then asked are the stadium gifts above and beyond any other gift, and he told me yes they were. So UWM and SDSU is correct in that you don't have to give to the stadium, but you might not have the best seat in the house.

I just notice one other thing in the LOI Item #6 which reads as follows:

6. I understand this commitment is for the stadium only and does not include Jackrabbit Club (JRC) donation. In order to receive your current benefits for the JRC, a separate donation must be made. At minimum, we require all premium seat buyers maintain their current(2013)JRC giving amount for the of the premium seating agreement. At minimum, I will maintain my 2013 JRC giving amount for the term of premium seating agreement (Please initial)

I guess if we want classy facilities, some one has to pay for it. This even causes an anxiety stir in my mind.

Comment

I suppose one could terminate their current gifting and then direct the same funds to the stadium project.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I suppose one could terminate their current gifting and then direct the same funds to the stadium project.
          I would think that work. But, they might have road block here somewhere.

Comment

Of course the idea is to keep current gifts going and then get additional gifts solely for the stadium.

I think the stadium is going to do some amazing things for not just the football program but for the entire campus and University in general.
            Last edited by JackJD; 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Of course the idea is to keep current gifts going and then get additional gifts solely for the stadium.

I think the stadium is doing to do some amazing things for not just the football program but for the entire campus and University in general.
              I agree that the new stadium it will do some amazing things for the entire campus and University, but I felt the first regret about the move up to D1 this morning, and for me buying one club seat for 10 years at $750, amounts to $7,500 over ten years. It does seem to me a bunch of money, but I going to go ahead and send in my LOI. I have squandered my money in more ways that I care to mention. So this should not be any big deal.

Comment

Having been away from the board for awhile, I'm probably late to this game as usual. But a few thoughts (and hopefully answers) to a lot of the comments I have read (and there were lots).

1) First an examination of some facts: The new indoor facility is only months away from completion. That $32 million, plus almost $20 million for the new football stadium equals $52 million of donor money. That's private money, donated to a cause. That means that 57% of the two projects has already been paid by large donors who have surely done their share.

2) Approximately $40 million will be bonded. That needs to be paid off by USERS. A lot of that will come from the people who purchase the premium seating. The price of suite and loge speaks for itself. Let's look at Club Seats, which probably is in reach (or close to in reach) for more people than the suite and loge (including myself). The upfront money (not due until 2016, is the same as the annual payment for tickets in the Club Seats section of the project. That money is a one time "donation" if you will, to help pay off the bonding.) We can RESERVE those seats for 5, 7 or 10 year periods. For that amount ($750 per year in case of 10 years reserved) you get premium area seating, AND access to the Club Room, which has a large number of amenities, including access pre-game and post-game, and all the food and beverages you wish to consume. If you like that, can afford that, and get your letter of intent in before May 1, you will be in the first allocation group which will get first dibs on the "best" (or what they consider the best) seating in the Club Seat area. (And in Nidaros case...he's a friend so I can say that, and in my case), the best seats might be lower in the premium area, so we can ride an elevator to the Club Room, go out the stadium entrance and not have to climb very many stairs to our seats).

2. So best advice is: get your letter of intent in by May 1 IF...IF...you feel this is what you want and can afford. If you are only interested in purchasing season tickets and cannot afford the premium seating), the department needs...and would like to have...you indicate your interest in season tickets for 2016, as it needs to make another presentation to the Regents and this would be helpful. However, MOST importantly, if you are a season ticket holder, or want to become a season ticket holder this year, next year, or in 2016, and do not feel you can buy into the "premium" seating area, understand that you will have just as good seats in the new stadium as you have now (at least based on your priority points) in 2016. Remember, we are adding almost 9,000 new seats. When you take out the western area of premium seats, the remaining seats on the west side will be close to equal to the number of seats in the current area! And seat availability in that area will be even better, since some of the occupants of the current stadium will have moved up into the suite, loge and Club Seat areas.

3. All of the hubub about what happens if I sign a letter of intent and something happens in my life...forget it, obviously the athletic department is going to work with all ticket holders under unforeseen situations (sorry, however, being unhappy with the football team in a given year probably won't qualify as an emergency situation). Also since a huge amount of the attention of the department has been on making the project a reality, and getting it approved...the department has only begun to turn its attention to the "use" plans for the stadium. I know, in conversations with a number of people that there will be a myriad of programs (family friendly, special promotions, etc.) which will address some of the concerns raised in this thread.

4. A season ticket price has required a $100 JRC donation. A huge number of the season ticket holders are donating more money than that to the JRC currently. The new stadium will have a staggered annual requirement of $300, for the better seats, down to $100 in the seats further away from the center of the field. So if you have been among those who donate $200 or more, you probably won't be facing anything but a slightly increased annual ticket price, and will have an opportunity for seating that is close to what you currently have now.

5. BOTTOM LINE: We are not just replacing Coughlin, which had to happen or drop football, we are building a better, new stadium that needs to last 50 years as well, and needs to be built not just for today but for the long run. Comments on "maybe we overbuilt" because of unhappiness with additional money required from users, are IMO shortsighted. We are going to be VERY proud of this stadium for the rest of the lives of those who are now attending football games at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Having been away from the board for awhile, I'm probably late to this game as usual. But a few thoughts (and hopefully answers) to a lot of the comments I have read (and there were lots).

1) First an examination of some facts: The new indoor facility is only months away from completion. That $32 million, plus almost $20 million for the new football stadium equals $52 million of donor money. That's private money, donated to a cause. That means that 57% of the two projects has already been paid by large donors who have surely done their share.

2) Approximately $40 million will be bonded. That needs to be paid off by USERS. A lot of that will come from the people who purchase the premium seating. The price of suite and loge speaks for itself. Let's look at Club Seats, which probably is in reach (or close to in reach) for more people than the suite and loge (including myself). The upfront money (not due until 2016, is the same as the annual payment for tickets in the Club Seats section of the project. That money is a one time "donation" if you will, to help pay off the bonding.) We can RESERVE those seats for 5, 7 or 10 year periods. For that amount ($750 per year in case of 10 years reserved) you get premium area seating, AND access to the Club Room, which has a large number of amenities, including access pre-game and post-game, and all the food and beverages you wish to consume. If you like that, can afford that, and get your letter of intent in before May 1, you will be in the first allocation group which will get first dibs on the "best" (or what they consider the best) seating in the Club Seat area. (And in Nidaros case...he's a friend so I can say that, and in my case), the best seats might be lower in the premium area, so we can ride an elevator to the Club Room, go out the stadium entrance and not have to climb very many stairs to our seats).

2. So best advice is: get your letter of intent in by May 1 IF...IF...you feel this is what you want and can afford. If you are only interested in purchasing season tickets and cannot afford the premium seating), the department needs...and would like to have...you indicate your interest in season tickets for 2016, as it needs to make another presentation to the Regents and this would be helpful. However, MOST importantly, if you are a season ticket holder, or want to become a season ticket holder this year, next year, or in 2016, and do not feel you can buy into the "premium" seating area, understand that you will have just as good seats in the new stadium as you have now (at least based on your priority points) in 2016. Remember, we are adding almost 9,000 new seats. When you take out the western area of premium seats, the remaining seats on the west side will be close to equal to the number of seats in the current area! And seat availability in that area will be even better, since some of the occupants of the current stadium will have moved up into the suite, loge and Club Seat areas.

3. All of the hubub about what happens if I sign a letter of intent and something happens in my life...forget it, obviously the athletic department is going to work with all ticket holders under unforeseen situations (sorry, however, being unhappy with the football team in a given year probably won't qualify as an emergency situation). Also since a huge amount of the attention of the department has been on making the project a reality, and getting it approved...the department has only begun to turn its attention to the "use" plans for the stadium. I know, in conversations with a number of people that there will be a myriad of programs (family friendly, special promotions, etc.) which will address some of the concerns raised in this thread.

4. A season ticket price has required a $100 JRC donation. A huge number of the season ticket holders are donating more money than that to the JRC currently. The new stadium will have a staggered annual requirement of $300, for the better seats, down to $100 in the seats further away from the center of the field. So if you have been among those who donate $200 or more, you probably won't be facing anything but a slightly increased annual ticket price, and will have an opportunity for seating that is close to what you currently have now.

5. BOTTOM LINE: We are not just replacing Coughlin, which had to happen or drop football, we are building a better, new stadium that needs to last 50 years as well, and needs to be built not just for today but for the long run. Comments on "maybe we overbuilt" because of unhappiness with additional money required from users, are IMO shortsighted. We are going to be VERY proud of this stadium for the rest of the lives of those who are now attending football games at SDSU.
                  I have understood that if I simply want season tickets in 2016 as I have had in the past, I need not do anything with the letter of intent. Are you saying that what we've learned from the Department is not accurate on this subject? I do need clarification on this as this is contrary to what I have understood at this point.

EDIT: I just called and spoke again to the Ticket Office. They confirmed for me that if you are only planning to get season tickets in 2016, you need not do anything with the Premiere Seating packet you received in the mail, nor do you need to do anything else at this time.
                  Last edited by KUlawJack; 03-26-2014, 12:21 PM.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

OK, KUlaw Jack, forget the one part of my (your) bolded sentence. The rest of the info is trying to deal with concerns about premium seating (costs), and/or concern that if you don't go to premium seating, you will be punished by having inferior seats. Those were some of the comments I observed in the thread. The Letter of Intent, is only applicable to those considering premium seating. What the department wanted to do was to make sure that those people who have been and are among the best fans, got an opportunity to get into the premium seating PRIOR to the push to enroll new season ticket holders. As Justin Sell said it, "we want to make sure our best friends are taken care of, and have the opportunity to participate in the process."

So, the letter of intent mailing was sent out to make that opportunity available to current season ticket holders. I do know the department is surely hoping most season ticket holders are planning to renew in 2016, but doesn't have a way to determine that at present. If you communicate in any way with them, I am sure they would welcome positive (or constructive) comments about the stadium project as it moves to fulfillment. We are going to have to get a lot of new season ticket holders added by 2016, and every fan that wants to see SDSU succeed will be helpful in encouraging non-season ticket holders to consider joining us.

Comment

So, if i buy 4 club seats for 10 yrs. That would be $3000. So the one time donation is $3000 and then i pay $3000 each year for tickets plus what i want to donate? Or do i pay $6000 by 2016, for the seats and the donation? I guess i thought it would cost be $6000 each year.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        So, if i buy 4 club seats for 10 yrs. That would be $3000. So the one time donation is $3000 and then i pay $3000 each year for tickets plus what i want to donate? Or do i pay $6000 by 2016, for the seats and the donation? I guess i thought it would cost be $6000 each year.
                        I'm away from my materials at the moment, but I believe that in your case the cost would be $3,000 for your one-time "stadium donation", plus $3,000 each year for your tickets, plus a jackrabbit club donation each year (must maintain your 2013 giving level at a minimum).

The tricky part there is that 2013 was a re-allocation year, which in my opinion that was a bit of trap as some of us substantially increased our giving for additional priority points for that one year. I have not called the ticket office to see if they are flexible on that.

You are signing a Letter of Intent, which I believe the material states will be followed up with a legal document. I'm going to buck against JacksFan#1 here a bit: The legal document you sign will be a legally binding document. Do not count on SDSU letting you break your commitment, regardless of your personal circumstances. I have not seen the document, but I would encourage everyone who gets to that point to have it reviewed by your legal professional. If you are shelling out that kind of money for premium seats, you can shell out a little more to protect yourself. Whether or not SDSU will be flexible with the language in that document is another matter.

Comment

TK JD?

Just my opinion: I think the spirit one should have when considering these "issues" is not one having its foundation on legal requirements but one having its foundation in a spirit of giving. Read the materials you received carefully and then decide what you can and want to afford. I haven't completed my analysis yet but guess I'll do so soon.

Comment

TK JD?

Just my opinion: I think the spirit one should have when considering these "issues" is not one having its foundation on legal requirements but one having its foundation in a spirit of giving. Read the materials you received carefully and then decide what you can and want to afford. I haven't completed my analysis yet but guess I'll do so soon.
                            Ha! After re-reading my post, it is apparent that I am spending way too much time with my lawyer friends. I clearly need to cut back!

I agree 100% with what you said. The answer is to not commit yourself to something you cannot handle financially, regardless of what life may throw at you during the term of your commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                              Ha! After re-reading my post, it is apparent that I am spending way too much time with my lawyer friends. I clearly need to cut back!

I agree 100% with what you said. The answer is to not commit yourself to something you cannot handle financially, regardless of what life may throw at you during the term of your commitment.
                              OF course JackJD's advice is good. And I will tell you that the letter of intent is needed, because the department has to have some firm figures on potential revenue to support its info to the Regents, and to support it's bonding of the stadium. Having said that, I will buck back against TK to this extent, when I asked Justin Sell the same question, what happens if I kick the bucket and/or become physically unable to attend games, his answer was "under any difficult circumstance we would want to work with the ticket holders". I know that is just their intent and isn't in the letter of intent, but I also believe the university would not want to be seen in the wrong light on these situations. And I would also suggest, that if you are getting Club Seats, and you get your letter in before May 1, you will be in the initial allocation of the seats...and those seats are going to be very good, and are going to be pretty easy for the department to fill with people down the line if you found yourself unable to continue for a valid (reasonable) reason. Your donation to the stadium would, of course, have been used. Final word: I have no fear about this issue, but everybody has to make their own decision...so be it.

Comment

Having said that, I will buck back against TK to this extent, when I asked Justin Sell the same question, what happens if I kick the bucket and/or become physically unable to attend games, his answer was "under any difficult circumstance we would want to work with the ticket holders". I know that is just their intent and isn't in the letter of intent, but I also believe the university would not want to be seen in the wrong light on these situations.
                                I tend to agree with what you are saying here, although it is extremely poor legal advice. Justin Sell is trying to sell premium seating, and he could very well move on during the term of your agreement.

The Letter of Intent clearly states "I understand that this letter of intent is a legally binding reservation of premium seating options in the SDSU Football Stadium Project, contingent upon final approval, and understand an official agreement will be executed during the project".

As I stated earlier, to complete the process you are going to be required to sign another legal document - "the agreement". I have not seen the language in the document, but it may include some language that the agreement ceases upon death of the named signee. It is highly unlikely that it will include any language for review of the agreement for unexpected "hardships".

In short, don't count on SDSU to bail you out in case of a personal hardship or "difficult personal circumstance", and certainly don't sign a contract that you cannot fulfill in it's entirety.

Signed, TK JD

Comment

Working...
                                X