Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    OK, ok, I suspect the price-sensitive posters may take my flippancy amiss . . .

But really, you didn't see fairly dramatic ticket price increases (and eventually seat license fees) coming the day SDSU went D-I? Especially given the BOR's adamant demand that the D-I move basically pay for itself?

You didn't really think that big donors and corporate sponsors would pay the entire freight here, did you?

I fully understand why people aren't happy about the additional costs. But what, realistically, are the other available options?
    As much as it may seem, I'm not "mad" about all this. I completely understand that it takes (a lot of) money to run the athletic department, and it is going to take (a lot of) money to have a nice new stadium. In a few years, its going to take (a lot of) money to renovate Frost.

I expected ticket prices to go up. However, 92% price increase without significant demand would be a very risky recipe for most real world businesses.

The other option is to raise ticket prices slightly, and draw in the people who have been sitting out up to this point. Once they're hooked, continue incrementally raising prices. I'm sure somebody in the AD did the math/analysis and figured that wasn't going to cut it. I know I'm glad it isn't my job to sell season tickets. Those are going to be some uncomfortable conversations.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think Our two moderators Filbert and JackJD have made some excellent points in their posts and I really can't add much. The part that I find annoying is that some of the posters in here are factoring in their donations as part of the cost of a season ticket. That I do not agree with. You give donations because you want to or you believe in the cause. I have given donations for a number of years through Electronic Transfer Funds. All I have to do is to remember to record the bank deduction in QUICKEN, and I am done. I have been buying season tickets since 1986, when I was in driving range of Brookings. I was living in Columbus, Nebraska at the time and when I ordered a season ticket in 1986, the person taking the order did not understand me wanting to drive 240 miles when I could get tickets at USD and save some miles to see a football. This person has long gotten their walking papers, but today in ordering the WNIT tickets, I could not believe how accommodating the order taker was. He allowed me to will call the tickets and to designate who was to receive the tickets. Very accommodating to say, the least. SDSU customer service is to be commended.

Our athletic department has come a long ways since 1986, and CAS was starting to show its wear in 1986, and now it needs to be replaced. I don't think we have any doubters on that detail, its about who will pay for it. I guess I will. I am 80 out 4480 in priority points for football tickets, and I assume these points will carryover.

Do I have any regrets or do I question the proposed price schedule for seating? None whatsoever, but again, I am not supporting a young family like many are that post in regular fashion on here. Do what you can and find out what you can afford.

I still recall reading in the Brookings Register in the late 1950's the plans to build a new football stadium, and the subsequent Stadium for State campaign. The admin at SDSU real amatuers in fund raising. The quest for long term commitments fell way short of its goals. I recognize a similar concern this time around, I just hope this time we make our goals, and we have brand new stadium that other teams in Missouri Valley Football Conference are happy to play in.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 03-18-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I think Our two moderators Filbert and JackJD have made some excellent points in their posts and I really can't add much. The part that I find annoying is that some of the posters in here are factoring in their donations as part of the cost of a season ticket. That I do not agree with. You give donations because you want to or you believe in the cause. I have given donations for a number of years through Electronic Transfer Funds. All I have to do is to remember to record the bank deduction in QUICKEN, and I am done. I have been buying season tickets since 1986, when I was in driving range of Brookings. I was living in Columbus, Nebraska at the time and when I ordered a season ticket in 1986, the person taking the order did not understand me wanting to drive 240 miles when I could get tickets at USD and save some miles to see a football. This person has long gotten their walking papers, but today in ordering the WNIT tickets, I could not believe how accommodating the order taker was. He allowed me to will call the tickets and to designate who was to receive the tickets. Very accommodating to say, the least. SDSU customer service is to be commended.

Our athletic department has come a long ways since 1986, and CAS was starting to show its wear in 1986, and now it needs to be replaced. I don't think we have any doubters on that detail, its about who will pay for it. I guess I will. I am 80 out 4480 in priority points for football tickets, and I assume these points will carryover.

Do I have any regrets or do I question the proposed price schedule for seating? None whatsoever, but again, I am not supporting a young family like many are that post in regular fashion on here. Do what you can and find out what you can afford.

I still recall reading in the Brookings Register in the late 1950's the plans to build a new football stadium, and the subsequent Stadium for State campaign. The admin at SDSU real amatuers in fund raising. The quest for long term commitments fell way short of its goals. I recognize a similar concern this time around, I just hope this time we make our goals, and we have brand new stadium that other teams in Missouri Valley Football Conference are happy to play in.
        Honest question: can you elaborate on the bold further?

It seems to me that while dividing the cost of ticket and donation makes philosophical sense (accountants rejoice! ), the practical reality is that when donations are mandatory many people will consider it part of the price for the ticket. Am I wrong?
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The part that I find annoying is that some of the posters in here are factoring in their donations as part of the cost of a season ticket. That I do not agree with. You give donations because you want to or you believe in the cause.
          You are both right and wrong here. Season tickets "require" a minimum donation to the Jackrabbit club to sit in a certain section. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain that you can buy season tickets without a donation. However, in that case you're going to be allocated last and your tickets will be wherever they decide to put you.

You probably don't run into this much because of your endowment and your large amount of priority points, but the required donation amount is a factor for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

It seems to me that while dividing the cost of ticket and donation makes philosophical sense (accountants rejoice! ), the practical reality is that when donations are mandatory many people will consider it part of the price for the ticket. Am I wrong?
            If its a separate, annual requirement I consider it part of the cost of the ticket. I elect to donate to the JRC the amount that I donate. Has never had anything to do with season tickets, priority points, etc... I donate to an academic scholarship in our family name, I elect to choose the amount I donate.

I am happy to elect to donate a one time amount in the name of the stadium project. I would like to see the amount I donate EVERY YEAR to the athletic department now AND FOR THE FORESEABLE FUTURE considered as part of or all of my contribution towards season ticket seating priority.

I realize this may be an impossible expectation. As I family of 5 traveling 4 hours round trip it becomes hard to justify the significant jump in the "price for a season ticket seat" when I can expect to miss 2 plus home games per year. That is my problem and I'll have to decide how I want to deal with it.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am stating my opinion, you can agree to disagree if you like. Its your choice. Its seems like some on here are looking for a free ride. They want the new facility and want others to pay for it on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                You are both right and wrong here. Season tickets "require" a minimum donation to the Jackrabbit club to sit in a certain section. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain that you can buy season tickets without a donation. However, in that case you're going to be allocated last and your tickets will be wherever they decide to put you.

You probably don't run into this much because of your endowment and your large amount of priority points, but the required donation amount is a factor for the rest of us.
                No doubt you are right about the donations. I did not make any donations in 1986 and got a 45 yard seat, but then in the Haensel era 3500 to 4500 was a good crowd. I suppose one can ignore all the mail sent out by the Athletic department, and still order a season ticket, or buy them individually, but where you sit might leave something to be desired. Priority points do count, and I made mention of them not so much to brag, but they make a difference where you sit.

Comment

I am stating my opinion, you can agree to disagree if you like. Its your choice. Its seems like some on here are looking for a free ride. They want the new facility and want others to pay for it on their behalf.
                  Did not intend to offend, sorry if that was the result. I don't expect a free ride. I expect to pay a fair price for a product. Even with all the new amenities, these kinds of increases do not seem like a fair price, to me. If it takes a 92% price hike to pay for the new stadium, then maybe we are being too aggressive. I can't imagine a fanbase in the entire nation that would be pleased with that. Again, just my personal opinion. As you said, we can agree to disagree.

I've been going to games for awhile now, and would love to continue attending. In order to make it work (and stay married ), I might have to go with a lower than minimum donation and be satisfied with the seats I get. Like others, I like making a donation, but I'm not sure I can swing it at the levels being talked about here.

Hopefully I'm not looking in from the outside of a sold out stadium in 10 years wishing I had more priority points. I guess if that happens there will be some really good times between now and then that I will get to enjoy.

Comment

Did not intend to offend, sorry if that was the result. I don't expect a free ride. I expect to pay a fair price for a product. Even with all the new amenities, these kinds of increases do not seem like a fair price, to me. If it takes a 92% price hike to pay for the new stadium, then maybe we are being too aggressive. I can't imagine a fanbase in the entire nation that would be pleased with that. Again, just my personal opinion. As you said, we can agree to disagree.
                    Increase in donation requirments for the regular season tickets (non premium seats) were not in the Pro-Forma to pay for the new stadium was it? The way I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong) Jackrabbit Club donations will not go to paying off the new stadium. Donations go to general athletic budget (scholarships, team budgets, etc.).

http://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/2013/December/15.pdf
                    Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 03-19-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Increase in donation requirments for the regular season tickets (non premium seats) were not in the Pro-Forma to pay for the new stadium was it? The way I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong) Jackrabbit Club donations will not go to paying off the new stadium. Donations go to general athletic budget (scholarships, team budgets, etc.).

http://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/2013/December/15.pdf
                      Glancing through the link that you cited, it appears that they will not be used for paying off the stadium at least it is not specifically mentioned that I could find, but I went through it in a cursory fashion. In order to meet other requirements, 27 million has to be raised through donations. That last published figure that's in the pro forma is 19.8 million pledged to date. That means a total of 7.2 million has to be raised through donations and long term commitments, and attaching this to season ticket purchases appears to be their way of raising the 7.2 million. That's my take, but extra money in the general fund might allow other funds to be used for debt service, but my understanding is the corporate box seat are being sold and the revenue is to be used for debt service on the bonds.

Comment

I've been going to games for awhile now, and would love to continue attending. In order to make it work (and stay married ), I might have to go with a lower than minimum donation and be satisfied with the seats I get. Like others, I like making a donation, but I'm not sure I can swing it at the levels being talked about here.

Hopefully I'm not looking in from the outside of a sold out stadium in 10 years wishing I had more priority points. I guess if that happens there will be some really good times between now and then that I will get to enjoy.
                        No offense taken, and maybe I am off base for the criticism. If I were a friend not an alum, then I would see it more from your perspective.

Comment

Glancing through the link that you cited, it appears that they will not be used for paying off the stadium at least it is not specifically mentioned that I could find, but I went through it in a cursory fashion. In order to meet other requirements, 27 million has to be raised through donations. That last published figure that's in the pro forma is 19.8 million pledge to date. That means a total of 7.2 million has to be raised through donations and long term commitments, and attaching this to season ticket purchases appears to be their way of raising the 7.2 million.
                          That could be it. Thanks for looking at it a little deeper.

Comment

I sent an email off to Adam at the ticket office.
                            Did we get some answers from Adam? I didn't see a post on this. If we intend to simply get season tickets in the new stadium, are we required to send in that letter of intent by May 1? Any guidance is appreciated.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              Did we get some answers from Adam? I didn't see a post on this. If we intend to simply get season tickets in the new stadium, are we required to send in that letter of intent by May 1? Any guidance is appreciated.
                              Apologize for not posting (simply forgot).

Here are the questions I asked him and his responses.
                              -If I am not going to purchase any premium seats (Suite, Loge, Club) do I need to sign and return anything by May 1st? You do not need to sign the letter of intent. We are just tracking what people are interested in.
                              -Regular season tickets (not premium seats) don't require a "one time donation" or do they? The regular season tickets will be handled in the same fashion as the current season tickets. Jackrabbit Club seat donation and then the season ticket cost on top.

Comment

Apologize for not posting (simply forgot).

Here are the questions I asked him and his responses.
                                -If I am not going to purchase any premium seats (Suite, Loge, Club) do I need to sign and return anything by May 1st? You do not need to sign the letter of intent. We are just tracking what people are interested in.
                                -Regular season tickets (not premium seats) don't require a "one time donation" or do they? The regular season tickets will be handled in the same fashion as the current season tickets. Jackrabbit Club seat donation and then the season ticket cost on top.
                                Thanks.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X