New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Does anyone know of a bill number to follow during the legislative session? Not real educated on drafting bills during sessions.

Comment

The legislature opens today so I would doubt a number has been assigned. You might look at the Legislatures official website. I don't have off hand, but you find some interesting things there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        The legislature opens today so I would doubt a number has been assigned. You might look at the Legislatures official website. I don't have off hand, but you find some interesting things there.
        http://legis.sd.gov/docs/legsession/...ills/SB15P.pdf

Forwarded to me yesterday.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          Thanks KU real interesting reading. Is the 2 million dollar fund set up from bookstore revenues, a starter for debt service or is this just to cover start up costs of construction? Just curious.

Comment

Little problem getting SB 15 through the Legislature IMO, but the bill includes an emergency clause, which needs a two-thirds majority to pass the original bill (obviously it could be altered later). The emergency clause would give the opportunity of doing the east and south sides before next fall, and then constructing the west portion after next season. I wouldn't worry about Sell, the department and our alumni doing due diligence on this bill. If we can get it passed with the emergency clause, I think we will have some extremely competitive bids on the work that would be done this year. There are two major companies working on the campus right now (the Architecture building attached to Solberg Hall, and the Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Center) and both have their equipment and workers on site. They will both be hungry to get another major contract without moving out of Brookings. So if you know a legislator, make a contact and see if you can get them to commit to a positive vote (Senate first) for the bill as written.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              ....There are two major companies working on the campus right now (the Architecture building attached to Solberg Hall, and the Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Center) and both have their equipment and workers on site. They will both be hungry to get another major contract without moving out of Brookings.....
              Good point. Those bidders are already at a competitive advantage as they have the opportunity to lower their mobilization costs and thereby submit a lower bid (if they choose to do so).

One question that I am sure will come up is whether these companies working on-site have the capacity to handle another large project at the same time.

Anyone have any insight on their performance to-date? I've driven past the performance center once mid-week last week, and it looks like they were almost done with the roof joists.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                Anyone have any insight on their performance to-date? I've driven past the performance center once mid-week last week, and it looks like they were almost done with the roof joists.
                The SJAC is scheduled to be finished by late August. And I believe the Architectural Engineering building is on a similar timeline. Both jobs are being done by major contractors, and the timing of the stadium job would be a boon to them. Both will be doing mostly inside work by summer, while the preliminary work for the stadium (east and south side seating) would, IMO, fit perfectly into their workloads.

On the SJAC, actually their are now five major roof cross sections done and work is ongoing on the erection of the sixth. There will be 14 total, and they are basically putting up one a week. Justin Sell says they are on target to meet the projected closing dates.

Comment

A couple of additional comments on the proposed legislation: (1) It is fairly typical of legislation for building projects that use bonding through the Building
                  Authority. (2) As noted by Jacks#1Fan, the emergency clause would allow the project to start when the legislation is passed. Laws passed without such an emergency clause (with a few exceptions) take effect on the 1st of July following passage.

Pay attention to Jacks#1Fan's statement: "So if you know a legislator, make a contact and see if you can get them to commit to a positive vote (Senate first) for the bill as written." Personal contact with a legislator you know, even if just a passing acquaintance, is very important. Legislators appreciate input from their constituents and it has an impact.

Comment

The SJAC is scheduled to be finished by late August. And I believe the Architectural Engineering building is on a similar timeline. Both jobs are being done by major contractors, and the timing of the stadium job would be a boon to them. Both will be doing mostly inside work by summer, while the preliminary work for the stadium (east and south side seating) would, IMO, fit perfectly into their workloads.

On the SJAC, actually their are now five major roof cross sections done and work is ongoing on the erection of the sixth. There will be 14 total, and they are basically putting up one a week. Justin Sell says they are on target to meet the projected closing dates.
                    I believe the Engineering and Architecture construction is due fall of 2015. Based on the sign that is out front of the construction site. But I can't find anything online to confirm it so I could be wrong.

Comment

Probably I was wrong on that one Btown...I didn't check it out. Makes more sense as it is a complete classroom building, a little different than the huge, open building for the athletic complex. Either way, I was told by a reliable source that both construction companies would probably be very interested in the opportunity to bid on the first phase of the football stadium.

Comment

The emergency clause would give the opportunity of doing the east and south sides before next fall, and then constructing the west portion after next season.
                        Mea Culpa in order...I blame age and memory problems. This summer, if SB 15 is passed, would include considerably more fund raising and work on ongoing revenue (suites, loge, club seating) along with utilizing next fall to continue to try to increase season ticket sales...by the department. The work on the east and south side would not start until the spring-summer of 2015 with completion before the 2015 FB season, and then removal of the west side after the season is complete and completion of the main west side structure before the 2016 season. There was some discussion at one time of possibility of accelerating the construction process, but that never made the grade. The dates I used in the earlier posting were not correct. Apologize for mucking up the thread!

Comment

Mea Culpa in order...I blame age and memory problems. This summer, if SB 15 is passed, would include considerably more fund raising and work on ongoing revenue (suites, loge, club seating) along with utilizing next fall to continue to try to increase season ticket sales...by the department. The work on the east and south side would not start until the spring-summer of 2015 with completion before the 2015 FB season, and then removal of the west side after the season is complete and completion of the main west side structure before the 2016 season. There was some discussion at one time of possibility of accelerating the construction process, but that never made the grade. The dates I used in the earlier posting were not correct. Apologize for mucking up the thread!
                          Nah you are doing great. Your input on this board has always been extremely factual and reliable. Those dates are almost scary, thinking I will have to make a choice on where I sit during 2016 season. That's only two year away.

Comment

Any information from the town hall yesterday or was it similar to the first one? Anyone care to elaborate?

Comment

Anyone attend Sioux Falls town meetings?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Anyone attend Sioux Falls town meetings?
                                I wanted to but had work commitments. Would love to hear anyone's overview.

Comment

Working...
                                X