Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    SDSU Collegian Live (@collegian_live) tweeted at 6:10 PM on Mon, Dec 09, 2013:"The Regents made it very clear that if a fee increase is needed, that we need to support that," President Ben Stout said on a GAF increase.(https://twitter.com/collegian_live/s...99691595231232)

The strong arming has begun. Don't think that 20yr Olds aren't easily influenced by those older and in positions of authority. I'm sure they were basically told they had to do this.

It's sad really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    ****ing stupid. I'm sure the students will get a great section that has plenty of room in it as well and will continue to be treated well by the athletic department. After everything that has happened in Frost, I have the utmost confidence that students will not be an afterthought.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just announced - Stadium Town Hall Meetings:

Monday, Jan. 13, at 12 PM (noon) on campus at the Volstorff Ballroom in the University Student Union.

Wednesday, Jan. 15, at 5 PM at the McCrory Gardens Education and Visitor Center in Brookings.

None of the "town hall meetings" are scheduled to start after regular business hours. Makes ZERO sense, unless they are anticipating some negative feedback and wish to control it in a public setting.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        Just announced - Stadium Town Hall Meetings:

Monday, Jan. 13, at 12 PM (noon) on campus at the Volstorff Ballroom in the University Student Union.

Wednesday, Jan. 15, at 5 PM at the McCrory Gardens Education and Visitor Center in Brookings.

None of the "town hall meetings" are scheduled to start after regular business hours. Makes ZERO sense, unless they are anticipating some negative feedback and wish to control it in a public setting.
        Well, technically 5 pm would be after business hours but yeah, a 7 pm start time (i.e. after supper) for that one would have made more sense if you really wanted to get the townspeople in.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Well, technically 5 pm would be after business hours but yeah, a 7 pm start time (i.e. after supper) for that one would have made more sense if you really wanted to get the townspeople in.
          Hopefully there will be snacks and bottled water!
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            Hopefully there will be snacks and bottled water!
            Hopefully they dont run out of bottled water either.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Hopefully they dont run out of bottled water either.
              This is funny. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend either meeting. I think this is a wise move by AD Sells to have these town hall meetings. I don't think anyone thought of this during the Stadium for State campaign, it would have helped get their point across if nothing else besides pies (including cow) being thrown at the admin for coming up with this crazy idea. It was more Ohio State than South Dakota State so said one of many opponents to building CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                This is funny. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend either meeting. I think this is a wise move by AD Sells to have these town hall meetings. I don't think anyone thought of this during the Stadium for State campaign, it would have helped get their point across if nothing else besides pies (including cow) being thrown at the admin for coming up with this crazy idea. It was more Ohio State than South Dakota State so said one of many opponents to building CAS.
                Would be nice if they broadcasted these townhall meetings on Jackrabbit Extra.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  Would be nice if they broadcasted these townhall meetings on Jackrabbit Extra.
                  Do that. And accept questions via email and/or Twitter.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

The purpose of the meetings is to inform and answer questions from the university and Brookings residents in an effort to be sure that anybody (legislators, etc.) reaching into the community understands that Brookings buys into the need for a new stadium and backs the plan being proposed to the legislature. With the Board of Regents unanimously forwarding the project to the legislature, the attention has moved to working for passage (and I would assume for a 60% majority to include an emergency clause...which would enable an immediate start) by the legislature. The noon meeting at the university itself was positioned as the best time for faculty and students.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      The purpose of the meetings is to inform and answer questions from the university and Brookings residents in an effort to be sure that anybody (legislators, etc.) reaching into the community understands that Brookings buys into the need for a new stadium and backs the plan being proposed to the legislature. With the Board of Regents unanimously forwarding the project to the legislature, the attention has moved to working for passage (and I would assume for a 60% majority to include an emergency clause...which would enable an immediate start) by the legislature. The noon meeting at the university itself was positioned as the best time for faculty and students.
                      OK, so where is the forum for us non faculty-non student-non Brookings residents? The University doesn't give us a public forum to answer our questions, yet they will surely be after our $.

I could have worked with a 7 PM start time in Brookings. I can't see how 5 PM will work for many Brookings residents either.

This is a state-wide issue. Why not have several town halls throughout? Last time I checked, it was not Brookings State University.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        OK, so where is the forum for us non faculty-non student-non Brookings residents? The University doesn't give us a public forum to answer our questions, yet they will surely be after our $.

I could have worked with a 7 PM start time in Brookings. I can't see how 5 PM will work for many Brookings residents either.

This is a state-wide issue. Why not have several town halls throughout? Last time I checked, it was not Brookings State University.
                        Since this project is being financed by Bonds, there is less likely that they will come after your dollars. Frankly it would be wise to hold a forum in Sioux Falls, but Fall County not so sure, they have more cattle than people. It does have a parochial appearance by holding only two forums and both in Brookings. The Brookings Register had comments by the local legislators from District 7 that includes the city of Brookings. Rep Tidemann mention the funding for SDSU, and mentioned the Swine Unit as a priority. Here is a quote: "Tidemann said that the swine unit work is one of number of SDSU infrastructure needs, including the football stadium the District 7 legislators will follow closely." So the Swine Unit will need tax payer dollars and will no doubt be granted, but the football stadium needs only approval to proceed and will no doubt be questioned hard and often before approval. I would not be surprised to see some restrictions put on this approval, such as no sale of beverages or no tailgating one half hour before the game. You name it.

That is why I agree there should be more forums across the state, and the legislature opens next Tuesday, and it might be a little late to do anymore other than face to face lobbying with the legislators who think the new stadium is a bad idea.

Comment

https://twitter.com/terryvandrovec

According to a TV tweet, the fund raising goal for the new stadium was $20,000,000. As of today $19,800,000 has been raised so the goal has been increased to $27,000,000. Every dollar that comes in now in pledges will reduce the annual payments so this is very good news. Terry was at the town meeting today. He will probably have more info either in the paper or on line tomorrow.

EDIT: I went backed and looked at what was submitted to the BOR and the $19.8 had been pledged by then and the goal raised to $27 million. So this is not new but it is still good that less is being bonded then originally planned
                          Last edited by Rabbit74; 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                            https://twitter.com/terryvandrovec

According to a TV tweet, the fund raising goal for the new stadium was $20,000,000. As of today $19,800,000 has been raised so the goal has been increased to $27,000,000. Every dollar that comes in now in pledges will reduce the annual payments so this is very good news. Terry was at the town meeting today. He will probably have more info either in the paper or on line tomorrow.
                            They did broadcast the session live on GoJacks. Only lasted about 40 minutes - very few questions. I think they will also be broadcasting the Wednesday 5:00 pm one also. Justin Sell said they will be holding sessions out-state in Sioux Falls , Pierre and West River.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              They did broadcast the session live on GoJacks. Only lasted about 40 minutes - very few questions. I think they will also be broadcasting the Wednesday 5:00 pm one also. Justin Sell said they will be holding sessions out-state in Sioux Falls , Pierre and West River.
                              http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209370999

The people complaining about lack of out-of-town townhall meetings have been addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209370999

The people complaining about lack of out-of-town townhall meetings have been addressed.
                                Yes I would say so, but the approval by the legislature could be tricky or maybe not. We need to pay attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X