New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

I'm finally getting around to looking at the details. $750 for a club seat? Yowsers! I sit on the 45 yard line now and it didn't cost me nearly that much, even with my donation.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the administration is seriously misjudging how much fans are willing to pay for a ticket?

I have 5 seats. At $750 each, I can go back to bow hunting, take my wife to 1 Notre Dame game a year, and still come out ahead.

They are planning on 45% attendance for non demand games. Goon was right. That's a half full stadium.

Comment

I supported downtown so much my first apt was above the pawn shop.. my second above Broasts...lol I had four couches in my living room and most weekend they were full of people who didn't want to drive home...lol

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        I'm finally getting around to looking at the details. $750 for a club seat? Yowsers! I sit on the 45 yard line now and it didn't cost me nearly that much, even with my donation.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the administration is seriously misjudging how much fans are willing to pay for a ticket?

I have 5 seats. At $750 each, I can go back to bow hunting, take my wife to 1 Notre Dame game a year, and still come out ahead.

They are planning on 45% attendance for non demand games. Goon was right. That's a half full stadium.
        Anyone who didn't think cost of attendance was going to skyrocket with a new stadium (not that it isn't needed) is living in a vacuum. With a third child on its way, and a wife who is hoping to be a stay at home mom, thus dropping our income significantly, I'm pretty sure I'll be missing quite a few games for the first 10+ years of the new stadium.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
          Anyone who didn't think cost of attendance was going to skyrocket with a new stadium (not that it isn't needed) is living in a vacuum. With a third child on its way, and a wife who is hoping to be a stay at home mom, thus dropping our income significantly, I'm pretty sure I'll be missing quite a few games for the first 10+ years of the new stadium.
          We are in the same boat. Just had baby number 2. Our income doesn't appear to be going up much more in the near future we can affford it now and make it work. A new stadium price might just be to steep right now. A lot can change from now till then but I am worried my streak of making every home game will come to an end. Hopefully the there are ticket options for family pack or 3 game discount for the non marque games.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I guess I don't mind the students paying a little more for it(I am not a student). If you look at it they will increase the student seating from 2,725 to 3,500 seats. With more seating should come more money. They are going to raise the prices from $20 to $33 for regular games and from $40 to $59 for special games for the other people so why not have everybody who has seats pay a little more? I know that you will say that some students don't go to games but I don't know how to fix that. Do you just not have any seats for students and if they want to go to a game they have to buy a ticket? I'm sure that's not how it's done anywhere unless I'm wrong.
            I don't know if all of these changes would have been made it we hadn't gone DI but now you have to pay more for stuff. How big would the new stadium be if we were still DII? Would we be paying for parking all over the place? Would ticket prices raise as fast as they have? This is all for another discussion but if the students don't want to pay for the extra seats, I hope they don't complain if they can't get in to a USD or NDSU game.
            Just to clarify, ticket prices don't go that high for years. Ticket prices are going to 25/45 from 20/40 initially. Those prices you list aren't effective for over a decade.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

You don't have to choose the club seats. You'll probably be able to still sit on the 45 even, as some of the prime regular season ticket locations will remain available or even open up as the high rollers move up to the club level, loge boxes, and suites. Are you going to pay a bit more for your season tickets - yes. But don't make it sounds like it is $750/seat or nothing.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the administration is seriously misjudging how much fans are willing to pay for a ticket? They are planning on 45% attendance for non demand games. Goon was right. That's a half full stadium.
                Not really. Most seats in 2016 will be $7 more than they are now (and still $8 cheaper than NDSU's tickets are this year). The $750 price tag for club seats is tapping into a very specific market of people. We don't have any club seats in CAS now.

As for the 45 percent, that's simply being careful and conservative with the financial projections.

Nice things cost money. But in this case, I think the costs are very reasonable. If $750 isn't in your budget, there are other options that should work for you.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

We all have to look at alternatives. If there is a way of getting a stream for every game, I may not be going either. With your laptop you curse the bad plays and go back forth to the coffee maker, and do other things. But through my yellow and blue glasses, I do support the concept of a new stadium. In fact I started an acorn endowment for capital projects, and I said it could be used for debt service on bond issues if there were any. At the time, the new stadium was just figment of imagination in a several minds at SDSU.

The only real negative that I have seen anywhere is a comment to TV blog about the stadium and its cost. A big difference between now and 50 years ago. I will shut up about the failed Stadium for State campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Not really. Most seats in 2016 will be $7 more than they are now (and still $8 cheaper than NDSU's tickets are this year).

Nice things cost money. But in this case, I think the costs are very reasonable. If $750 isn't in your budget, there are other options that should work for you.
                    Agree. If you want a "big boy" stadium you can't expect to pay the same for a ticket that you do in one that has porta-potties and high school bleachers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      Agree. If you want a "big boy" stadium you can't expect to pay the same for a ticket that you do in one that has porta-potties and high school bleachers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Or it could be the current stadium is a bit over priced for many games now and with a new stadium prices will better aligned for cost= game day experience.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You could make that argument. However, the fact that every seat to the "certain games" I think you are referring to sell out way in advance work against it. I think they could have charged $10 more for NDSU, USD, or Hobo day and reserved seats would still have been quickly gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

If you are talking about November games against the likes of Missouri State, however, I agree. You could not GIVE 10,000 of those away on a cold day. Maybe the new stadium will help fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After just having read the last 150 posts in this thread, I should probably shut my computer off and go do something else, BUT, there are a few points I would like to make:

Replacing the stadium (which HAS to be done), making it big enough (not for just the next 5 years, but the next 50), providing an environment we should expect as an emerging Division I university, all come with cost. I was amused by one post which lamented that the possible student support (obviously one of the BIGGEST bogeymen of the discussion) was so that alumni/friends didn't have to pony up. OMG. The proposed stadium plan and financing package that went to the Regents already includes $19.2 million of money ponyed up by alumni and fans, and we still have to raise another $9.2 million from that same source. I would say that is pretty well indicating the support of that segment. The additional amount needed is being bonded, and everybody attending (except for students) any game (buys a ticket, eats at a concession stand, parks in the parking lot, etc.) will help pay off those bonds.

As for the students...first of all, nothing has been decided there and won't be decided by the university or the athletic department. And we are not talking about paying for construction of the stadium, but a source of some help with the maintenance of the facility. The students are getting a larger section than currently, and the athletic fee provided by the students has not been raised for the past 9 years (remember the encumbrance put on SDSU...but not USD...by the Regents when we went D-I). So as ticket prices have increased over the last decade, and for the upcoming decades, the student price per seat has been and will continue to go down, unless that is changed some time in the future. But, again, the student leadership "favored" the stadium project with a resolution, but nothing else will happen without the students themselves making the decision.

Finally, there is the "seats further from the field" discussion. Yes, indeed, the slope is lower on the stadium. We are adding two additional layers on top (loge and suite levels) to help, again, pay for the stadium. If we kept the old slope, added the two layers, and put the press box, etc. above that, we would probably be in the flight path of the Brookings airport, or at least make people with vertigo hesitate to pay for suite contracts.

Finally, unless you are an avid foe of replacing the stadium, just take a deep breath, contact any legislator you know, and help SDSU get a 2/3 vote at the SD legislature! GO JACKS.

Comment

You know there is one way to slay all these dragons and bogey men discussed on this string, right?* Have the legislature repeal the ban on 3.2 beer (whippersnappers, look it up), lower the drinking age to 18, allow beer sales at the games, tax the beer to high heaven, dedicate the proceeds to building the new stadium, and then add 10,000 seats for the extra students that will show up. In one fell swoop this will solve the problems identified here with funding, attendance, and lack of enthusiasm in the home crowds; my guess is the student section would quadruple overnight.

*Typed with tongue in cheek

Comment

SDSU Collegian Live (@collegian_live) tweeted at 6:10 PM on Mon, Dec 09, 2013:"The Regents made it very clear that if a fee increase is needed, that we need to support that," President Ben Stout said on a GAF increase.(https://twitter.com/collegian_live/s...99691595231232)

The strong arming has begun. Don't think that 20yr Olds aren't easily influenced by those older and in positions of authority. I'm sure they were basically told they had to do this.

It's sad really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X