Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    The only saving grace here is that the proposed student fee increase is relatively small ($1.75 per credit hour or $210 over four years for a 120-credit degree). Do I like it? Not at all, but this is the "public" university system we have now. Given that state taxpayers only pay about 30 percent of the educational costs anymore (and almost none of the construction or maintenance costs), without additional student contributions, literally nothing new would ever be possible on any state university campus.

I should add that SDSU remains a very good bargain, given the education students get vs. the costs involved.
    Fair enough on the 120 Credit hour I was thinking from an Electrical Engineers Requirements. which is in the 130 range. All of my calculations would have to be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      Fair enough on the 120 Credit hour I was thinking from an Electrical Engineers Requirements. which is in the 130 range. All of my calculations would have to be changed.
      You spent 30 times that amount on beer in college. One less case per semester or so and it would cover your fee.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        You spent 30 times that amount on beer in college. One less case per semester or so and it would cover your fee.
        I didn't drink until my last Semester. I was 25.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          I didn't drink until my last Semester. I was 25.
          ....Can't tell if serious....

Comment

You only spent $6,300 on beer in college? I thought you knew how to party, man.
            University of South Dakota:
            Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              There are two sides to this coin, IMO.

On the one side:

As Nidaros pointed out, the students should participate in bearing the financial burden of the stadium.

On the other side:

What percentage of student vote would be required to raise student fees? A majority? Then if 50.1% of voting (what is the percentage of actual voting students?) could determine a higher rate of student fees for every single student from now until Jesus comes. For a football stadium. That means kids 30 (50? 100?) years from now will still be paying for a "new" stadium long after alumni/friends have ceased paying. LOL if anyone thinks the fee would be brought back down once the debt is paid. Not to mention that maybe 3,000 out of a 12,000+ student body actually attends football games. I wonder what percentage of SDSU students attend zero football games during their time on campus... I bet its more than 30%.

IMO, a more equitable way to have students share a little burden would be to sell football tickets to students for $1-$2 dollars a game. So if a student wants to attend games, they would register in the spring to receive the tickets and pay $10 at that time. Of course that wouldn't result in nearly enough money. So we'll take money from thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of current and future students against their will, so the alumni/friends don't have to pony up. I guess that's the way the world works, hey we voted on it after all.
              The higher student fees is earmarked for operations and maintenance. That's obviously a reoccurring cost and it's equally obvious fees won't be rolled back at any point.

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
                You only spent $6,300 on beer in college? I thought you knew how to party, man.
                Beer is cheaper in Brookings. They like to stick it to all the future Dr.'s and lawyers in Vermintown.

Please note: http://sdcornshowdown.com/all-time-recordsresults/. At least you lead in one category, allbeit not football as that is tied(for now, Zenner going another 150-160 yds on you guys should secure our lead). Soccer is probably in question after next year. As far as academics, it takes all kinds. You have your specialties as do we. Pretty safe to say the only $ you ever got from JackMD was tuition. I know many people who went through graduate school there. Every one of them to the end eats, sleeps, breathes, and bleeds BLUE. Yours is a necessary evil for some to continue education and stay in this state. I believe academically our student athletes represent themselves quite well in many difficult disciplines, engineering, pharmacy and yes pre-med/biology.
                Last edited by Jackedforlife; 12-03-2013, 01:27 PM. Reason: *Not all lawyers are bad, not all jokes are funny to some.

Comment

....Can't tell if serious....
                  Dead Serious Actually. Now I LOVE beer, good thing I didn't find it earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                    Beer is cheaper in Brookings. They like to stick it to all the future Dr.'s and lawyers in Vermintown.

Please note: http://sdcornshowdown.com/all-time-recordsresults/. At least you lead in one category, allbeit not football as that is tied(for now, Zenner going another 150-160 yds on you guys should secure our lead). Soccer is probably in question after next year. As far as academics, it takes all kinds. You have your specialties as do we. Pretty safe to say the only $ you ever got from JackMD was tuition. I know many people who went through graduate school there. Every one of them to the end eats, sleeps, breathes, and bleeds BLUE. Yours is a necessary evil for some to continue education and stay in this state. I believe academically our student athletes represent themselves quite well in many difficult disciplines, engineering, pharmacy and yes pre-med/biology. But please keep your signature up, it gives me another reason to despise politicians and lawyers.
                    Whoa. Slow down with the despising lawyers stuff.

Comment

Jackedforlife: I agree with KULawJack. Did you ever pause and consider how many lawyers attended SDSU and are loyal Jackrabbit fans? Not much reason to go out of your way to make enemies out of people who have the same sports allegiance!

This thread seems pointed to the smack pile.

Comment

Whoa. Slow down with the despising lawyers stuff.
                        I edited, I realize now that by generalizing I include a fair amount of our own fine graduates. As a father of a child that aspires to go into law and politics I am in a quandry. I will more than likely even encourage the U for post graduate, as I stated before it is a necessary evil. All statements are given in the spirit of light hearted humor. It's good to have friendly joshing with an instate rival again.

Comment

I apologize to anyone who has taken offense on the politician and lawyer comment. It is my understanding that a , would translate joking and lighthearted humor. I guess I am mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                            I apologize to anyone who has taken offense on the politician and lawyer comment. It is my understanding that a , would translate joking and lighthearted humor. I guess I am mistaken.
                            No worries. I thought yours was a joke. My response was in jest, with a hint of "hey, we're not all that bad." I'm not saying I'm not one of the bad ones, but guys like JackJD surely aren't. No offense taken.

Comment

Anyone else find if funny yoteforev was crowing about leading SDSU by ONE game in the all-time football series?

Comment

I think what slosho is pointing out is like the changes at frost. They tried to spin it like it was a positive for the students to move behind the baskets but they only people who are happy about it are the alumni who took their seating. Its not like the students went to the admin asking to get different seats.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X