Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by goon View Post
    ...the arguement was made that it put a premium on tickets and season tickets in particular. So season ticket sales have gone up but and attendance has been good, but how is it different between basketball and football on the size of the arena? ...
    If having fewer seats optimized season tickets for basketball, why does the theory not hold true for football? ...
    I suggest, goon, that your underlying premise is incorrect. I think the primary reason seating changes were made in Frost was because they were necessary and, if we were going to replace seating, 1970's-style bleachers were not the way to go. I agree the argument was made that fewer, better seats would result in greater revenue but the place needed to be fixed up and replacing old bleachers with new bleachers would not have been a good move.

More renovations will be made at Frost because they're necessary. We're having to address 1970's thinking on amenities (restrooms, concessions etc.) and 1970s seating in the upper level and all that stuff needs to be replaced. I suppose we could replace the upper-deck seating with more bleachers but I don't think we want to do that. The upper deck has some issues with handicap-accessibility, ADA, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I suggest, goon, that your underlying premise is incorrect. I think the primary reason seating changes were made in Frost was because they were necessary and, if we were going to replace seating, 1970's-style bleachers were not the way to go. I agree the argument was made that fewer, better seats would result in greater revenue but the place needed to be fixed up and replacing old bleachers with new bleachers would not have been a good move.

More renovations will be made at Frost because they're necessary. We're having to address 1970's thinking on amenities (restrooms, concessions etc.) and 1970s seating in the upper level and all that stuff needs to be replaced. I suppose we could replace the upper-deck seating with more bleachers but I don't think we want to do that. The upper deck has some issues with handicap-accessibility, ADA, etc.
      Some of the changes in Frost were the result of building code issues.

Comment

The upper deck bleachers have issues for people that aren't handicapped. I've watching people struggle many times to get up to their seats with no walkways or railings. It's amazing that no one has gotten seriously injured trying to make their way to the top.

Comment

I've been in Frost a bunch of times but I'm unsure about something. With the southside upperdeck does the track go behind that wall and its a hallway ? So then could you blow that wall out and allow the seating to go further back than it is currently ?

Comment

Nope. The bleachers are pulled out over the track. What I have heard is some kind of plan to wrap permanent seating around the three sides where the track runs inside the arena now. Then you could create a concourse under there with rest rooms, concessions, etc.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              Here is the language from the BOR document "Seating between the 10 yard lines will be chair backed self-rising fixed seats. Bench seating will be provided outside of the 10 yard lines and in the south end zone." Seems to be very clear.

A "chair-backed, self-rising fixed seat" is a seat just like they have in the Arena. I could be wrong, but I would be shocked if all of the seating on the west side between the 10 yard lines are of this type. They are very nice, but also limit the amount of seats that can be installed.
              That's why the grandstand is a lot larger than the one we have now... so they can fit human-sized individual seats from the 10 to the 10 and all the way up like the seats in most stadiums.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                That's why the grandstand is a lot larger than the one we have now... so they can fit human-sized individual seats from the 10 to the 10 and all the way up like the seats in most stadiums.
                Perhaps over the next 50 years the (american) human race will slim down and our 18k will become a 20k+ stadium without any further modification.

ROFL.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

That's not the only reason why. A building was honestly falling a part in some ways and changes needed to be made. But the wooden bleachers that came out in the student section the blue and yellow bleachers provided no improvement in seating obviously but took seats higher and further from the court but those were students seats so I guess most don't care that there was less room for them. I know the arguement can be made they don't show up for every game. The arguement back is niether do the season ticket holders etc and the students pay their fair share to deserve good seats.

So basically most of the changes will add maybe better seating and consessions but still limit the capacity short of what it really should be.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    Perhaps over the next 50 years the (american) human race will slim down and our 18k will become a 20k+ stadium without any further modification.

ROFL.
                    LOL. My initial reaction was "fat chance of that happening!"

When we went from the Barn to Frost mid-season of 72-73, Coach Marking commented after a few games in Frost that if the place didn't liven up, we were going back to the Barn. He was talking about what seemed to be a huge, empty cavern. The Barn's over-full crowds of 3000-3500 were nothing in Frost. Thank goodness Frost was constructed as it was!

I'm with those who think that building the new stadium WILL result in consistently larger crowds including sellouts (does any one think we won't sell out the NDSU games?....okay, no jokes about fat guys wearing green with yellow construction helmets taking three seats per two butts...and likely the USD game). SDSU does not have the same kind of competition for fans' discretionary dollars that other FCS schools may face, places where there are pro sports or FBS programs in easy driving distance. I'm with filbert and agree with his statement preferring a stadium seating 20,000 or more right now. In the end, I can go along with 18,000 to 18,500 as a reasonable approach for the number of available dollars, projected crowds etc. The need to add a few thousand seats will be an easy problem to address if that stadium is full all the time.
                    Last edited by JackJD; 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Seems like a good time to repost the 2025 athletic facilities master plan we have all looked at in the past http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/39...2208&DB_LANG=C

I remember when this came out it was ambitious for a 2025 plan. Now I think we should call it a 2020 plan! After the indoor SJAC/stadium are completed it would be nice to see project 8. The aquatics center attached to the wellness center. That would move the pool out of the second floor of the HPER. The pool on the second floor hangs down and also takes up an equal amount of space on the first floor that nobody ever sees. Not to mention the weight a second floor pool puts on the building (engineers- ready set go).

Moving the pool the would allow remodeling of the athletic department offices (project 9), possibly relocating some of the concessions/restrooms, free up room on the first and second floor, and provide maximum flexibility for projects 10 (frost remodel), 11 (wrestling facility), and 12 (practice courts) to move forward. Although less interesting, they did just put $2.1 million into replacing the HVAC system in the building or at least it was approved by the Regents last April http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...ommB/III_E.pdf

It is very exciting to think about the fact that by 2025 all of the projects in this plan could be completed!

Comment

A shout out to all Jackrabbit football friends: If you have not done it already, please take the time between now and Monday, to go on gojacks.com and answer the new football stadium's ticket interest survey (top right hand corner of the home page which says "Click here for Stadium Information"). Read the survey's description of the various options and check any of those which interest you (note: no prices are indicated, no money is expected, and no commitments are being made). Next week, AD Justin Sell will be going before the Regents with a preliminary report on interest in the new stadium. The department needs survey results as one part of that plan. No pressure will be applied on choices on that survey, although you will be given an opportunity to decide if any of those are for you at a later time. We NEED to get the Regent's approval on this plan to keep going forward. You can help. Please pass this on to any of your Jackrabbit FB friends. If you have any questions on this, PM me.

P.S. The suites are almost already committed. Loge, club and season tickets are remaining options, but Sell wants to be sure that the good Jackrabbit football fans get their names in on the survey, since they will then be given an opportunity to respond before remaining choices are filled.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          A shout out to all Jackrabbit football friends: If you have not done it already, please take the time between now and Monday, to go on gojacks.com and answer the new football stadium's ticket interest survey (top right hand corner of the home page which says "Click here for Stadium Information"). Read the survey's description of the various options and check any of those which interest you (note: no prices are indicated, no money is expected, and no commitments are being made). Next week, AD Justin Sell will be going before the Regents with a preliminary report on interest in the new stadium. The department needs survey results as one part of that plan. No pressure will be applied on choices on that survey, although you will be given an opportunity to decide if any of those are for you at a later time. We NEED to get the Regent's approval on this plan to keep going forward. You can help. Please pass this on to any of your Jackrabbit FB friends. If you have any questions on this, PM me.

P.S. The suites are almost already committed. Loge, club and season tickets are remaining options, but Sell wants to be sure that the good Jackrabbit football fans get their names in on the survey, since they will then be given an opportunity to respond before remaining choices are filled.
                          I believe this is the same form that some of us may have received in the mail. Community suites was the only one option that I did not check off, and now those are gone. Shoot., I don't think I had the cash anyway. I do second Jack#1 fan's suggestion that we visit this site and complete this form for our AD and staff to present to the BOR.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

If only Wichita was a couple hundred miles closer to Brookings! This whole no football thing (WSU dropped football in the 1980s) is killing me.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The stadium plan is on the Board of Regents agenda for final approval. They put the updated plan up on Friday but with the holiday I didn't notice until today. http://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/2013/December/15.pdf

They are recommending approval and going to the legislature. They are requesting an emergency designation as well. This allows them to start immediately as opposed to waiting until July 1st when all new laws take effect. It also means a 2/3rds vote will be needed. Just a few things to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                                The stadium plan is on the Board of Regents agenda for final approval. They put the updated plan up on Friday but with the holiday I didn't notice until today. http://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/2013/December/15.pdf

They are recommending approval and going to the legislature. They are requesting an emergency designation as well. This allows them to start immediately as opposed to waiting until July 1st when all new laws take effect. It also means a 2/3rds vote will be needed. Just a few things to keep in mind.
                                no doubt coercion of some sort.
                                Conversations are being initiated with student leadership on their possible involvement in
                                supporting operations and maintenance through a student fee.
                                Asinine! The students should in no way incur more costs to send other students through school.

Count me as against the stadium if it:

1. causes any more cost to students.
                                2. moves the fans away from the field. ( and if you don't think this is going to happen we should bet on it. I love taking other peoples money)

Flame on.
                                Last edited by slosho; 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X