New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

I wonder how married the administration is to the planned capacity of "about" 18,000 seats? The UNI game was one that should have drawn fan interest even though both teams have struggled. Yet, on a sunny October day, less than 8,000 fans were in attendance. Now imagine a mid-November game against an Indiana State or Western Michigan when State is not in competition for a playoff spot. How many seats will be filled and now will an 18,000 seat stadium look to players and fans? What kind of atmosphere will that create? Even with 10,000 or 13,000 fannies in the seats an 18,000 seat stadium is going to look pretty empty.

I know that surveys have been conducted and many respondents have said they would be more likely to attend football games if they were guaranteed a decent seat or any seat at all, which isn't always available given recent attendance. But in reality, State has a fair-weather fan base that requires quite a lot of spectator travel to fill seats. That's probably something that won't change until we see sustained success measured by conference championships and playoff runs - perhaps even a national championship or two.

Because it appears that the lion's share of stadium funding will be financed by stadium revenue itself, might it make more sense to throttle back capacity until demand warrants it? Why not a 15,000 or 16,000 seat stadium? Perhaps leave the south end open. With seating for only 10,000 now, we've had attendance over 16,000 several times. Presumably, with east and west permanent seating, we could still accommodate 3,000 or more standing room only folks for those big games when 4,000 buffalo chips travel south on 29 and we could put 19,000 or 20,000 people through the turn styles. I'm not a construction guy, but I would imagine a fair amount of savings would be achieved. Ideally the stadium would contribute financially to the football program. In reality, for decades, the stadium will be a liability and need to pay for itself. Obviously, less debt to service the better.

Look at the University of Minnesota. TCF Bank Stadium is constructed for future expansion to 80,000. Currently, capacity is 50,000. Rarely are the Gophers able to fill the stadium up unless the visiting team is a Nebraska, Iowa or Wisconsin, who travel well and want to see what that Mall of America is all about. State would sure like to have 18,000 people in the stands each Saturday but the reality is that will seldom happen. Let demand build before building beyond means. Athletic departments do struggle. Look at Montana State. Let's not go down that road in an effort to keep up the the Joneses (NDSU).

Comment

I disagree. Stick with the plan in place.

Comment

Building the stadium too small would be detrimental to the future of the program. You need the amenities and the size to create an experience. You also need different levels of comfort for those that will pay more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          Building the stadium too small would be detrimental to the future of the program. You need the amenities and the size to create an experience. You also need different levels of comfort for those that will pay more
          I agree. Stick with the current plan.

Comment

Building the stadium too small would be detrimental to the future of the program. You need the amenities and the size to create an experience. You also need different levels of comfort for those that will pay more.

How would it be detrimental to the future of the program and why can't you provide the amenities and comfort with 3,000 fewer G.A. seats?

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
              How would it be detrimental to the future of the program and why can't you provide the amenities and comfort with 3,000 fewer G.A. seats?
              If we want our fan base to grow, we have to build enough seats to allow for growth. If we sell out every game, it means we built it too small.
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

The funding is in place, the plan is nearing completion. A 18,000 seat stadium is needed.

1) Attendance had been over 15k several times. The experience for those in attendance is less than desirable with bad site lines and poor seating. A new stadium will create demand on its own.

2) You do need to keep pace with the Joneses (NDSU) or its back to D2. We need to position ourselves favorably for the next split of the NCAA and go with NDSU. Perhaps a 15k stadium can do that, but I think 18k gives us a better chance.

3) Original plans called for 22k seats, this current plan fits nicely between what is needed and the next 50 years.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The funding is in place, the plan is nearing completion. A 18,000 seat stadium is needed.

1) Attendance had been over 15k several times. The experience for those in attendance is less than desirable with bad site lines and poor seating. A new stadium will create demand on its own.

2) You do need to keep pace with the Joneses (NDSU) or its back to D2. We need to position ourselves favorably for the next split of the NCAA and go with NDSU. Perhaps a 15k stadium can do that, but I think 18k gives us a better chance.

3) Original plans called for 22k seats, this current plan fits nicely between what is needed and the next 50 years.

To add to #2,if the Jacks chose to move up to FBS or are forced to do to conference realignment, you have to average 15,000 a game.

Also, it's possible the construction costs were cheaper to take it to 18,000 now as of opposed to adding on later.

Comment

Bingo. 18K is clearly not beyond our means financially, as has been suggested. If that were the case, it wouldn't be considered.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

While suggestions are interesting, I guess, I can tell you that THE PLAN IS the plan and it won't be changing, at least as far as basic design and seating capacity (not that small modifications might be made in the process). Don't need to detail all the reasons this is true, but commentators will have to save their thoughts on expansion or less expansion on the seating capacity for "I told you so" in the future.

Comment

Considering that the athletic administration has already come down from the original notional stadium size of 22,500 to the current 18,500, I suggest that jbjack's criticisms have already been accounted for in the modified proposal.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that they went to a size below 20,000 seats (I think there's a bit of a mystique factor that is given up by having an under-20K-capacity building) but I'll accept that financial considerations dictate the final configuration of the new facility.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

A new stadium will create demand on its own.
                          This is the only part of your post I disagree with. Our fan base will not come sit in a fancy new stadium, in the cold, to watch a Jackrabbit team that is not in playoff competition.

We should draw more if we are winning, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            While suggestions are interesting, I guess, I can tell you that THE PLAN IS the plan and it won't be changing, at least as far as basic design and seating capacity (not that small modifications might be made in the process). Don't need to detail all the reasons this is true, but commentators will have to save their thoughts on expansion or less expansion on the seating capacity for "I told you so" in the future.
                            This is what I have been saying all along, but nobody listens to little ol' me. I just get nasty grams via PM insisting I don't know what I'm talking about.

Comment

TK -- you get what you call "nasty grams via PM" for several other reasons.

I think Jacks#1Fan's posts on the topic of the stadium have been very accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                                Seriously?

This is a 50 year stadium plan, not 5 years. I think you forgot to carry the zero.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X