New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Okay, I give up bad idea for SDSU to build a dome. Wishful thinking on my part. Brookings needs to grow many more times its current population to make it work.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-09-2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      Probably the biggest reason an indoor stadium is not feasible for SDSU is maintenance and operational costs.

Think of the Alerus Center in Grand Forks and how much money it loses (I don't have the figures, but I'm sure a knowledgeable Bison fan would love to enlighten us ), and that is way smaller than what we need. Remember, the bigger you make it, the higher the cost of maintaining it.

The Fargodome manages to turn a profit every year, but they need to fill it with trade shows and concerts to do it. Bison football is the main tenant, but most of the other NDSU programs get very few chances to use it. SDSU needs a facility that all athletic programs can use on a regular basis that is affordable to maintain, hence the indoor practice facility. Plus, Brookings is a college town (one of the reasons I love the place), not a city, so competing with Sioux Falls for large conventions and concerts is a sure way to lose money.
      You are bringing up an old argument that I have heard many times about a doomed facility, namely maintenance and operational costs. Everyone was up in arms about USD Dakota Dome, some of it might be real, other things not so real.
      Is not our indoor facility going up our operational and maintenance costs?

Grand Forks is close enough to Canada to get an abundance of retail trade from Canada. In fact in GF, you see several big box stores that Brookings nor Watertown do not have, and they do have a number of concerts and events going on at the Alerus Center. Why else would the huge hotel next door to the Alerus be there? I doubt its losing money, but its more than a home to UND football.

The point is Brookings does not have the population to support concerts etc, and on that point we are in agreement.

Grand Forks is about 52 thousand but meto area is close to 100,000.
      From Wikipedia:
      According to the 2010 census, the city's population was 52,838, while that of the city and surrounding metropolitan area was 98,461.[5] Grand Forks, along with its twin city of East Grand Forks, Minnesota, forms the center of the Grand Forks, ND-
      Last edited by Nidaros; 10-10-2013, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
        Everyday more and more good news seems to come out about our stadium. It is amazing how fast this process is going, a couple of months ago I would've never thought we could potentially be playing in a new stadium anytime soon, now it is going to be in 2 or 3 seasons. I love how aggressive Sell and Chicoine have gotten recently with all of our campus additions.
        A friend of a cousin's friend's uncle told me earlier this year -- right after the legislature signed off on the indoor practice facility -- that someone in the Athletic Department told him that they were sitting on bags full of money designated for the new stadium and that they were ready to move forward, but that the BOR wanted them to sit tight for a bit to avoid public perceptions about too much money flowing toward athletics. It ended up not being a very long wait, but there seems to have been something to the second-hand info I received.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
          A friend of a cousin's friend's uncle told me earlier this year -- right after the legislature signed off on the indoor practice facility -- that someone in the Athletic Department told him that they were sitting on bags full of money designated for the new stadium and that they were ready to move forward, but that the BOR wanted them to sit tight for a bit to avoid public perceptions about too much money flowing toward athletics. It ended up not being a very long wait, but there seems to have been something to the second-hand info I received.
          Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Sorry made me think of that quote. To bad people havent paid attention to all the academic giving going around state, like J Lohr and so many others in the last decade. and if its private donations why would people care where it goes anyway?
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

-- that someone in the Athletic Department told him that they were sitting on bags full of money designated for the new stadium and that they were ready to move forward, but that the BOR wanted them to sit tight for a bit to avoid public perceptions about too much money flowing toward athletics. It ended up not being a very long wait, but there seems to have been something to the second-hand info I received.
            If this is true, then this is about a 100 percent turnaround since the days of Stadium for State.(1958) No doubt corporate sponsors are looking for opportunities like this, but individual donors not so much. Your uncle's friend may be on to something.

Comment

"Academics" doesn't have a section to itself in the newspaper.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                (This reply was actually to Goon's comment, not Jacksfaninne's).
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

In the Vien of new stadium building. the following articles are not SDSU related (other than the new stadium tie in), but a good read.

http://deadspin.com/vikings-decide-t...ull+(Deadspin)

and

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...payers/309448/

And to make this post more relevant to the thread.
                  Perhaps some are calling me out on my criticism of the "preliminary drawings" and their showing of the stands distance from the field, perhaps they are thinking of others, I really don't care.
                  I would say take a look at the frost renovations from last year and ask yourself if prelim drawings or not (well we know they are, but we don't know how close the final product will be to the concept), what kind of warm fuzzy you get on how close you may or may not be to the field in the future.
                  The good thing here is,(I believe anyway) that this concern was brought to the ppl capable of changing it early and from my unscientific poll often, will it affect the ultimate outcome? Unless someone tells us specifically, we will never know.

End rant:

Comment

Who reads the newspaper besides anything Terry has for the argus anymore? Most news outlets update with current stories and websites constantly show the goings on of colleges with new buildings and givings and such. Just on kelo a few days ago i read that USD is updating their union again because of the need for more room and student space.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Filbert - Do you think a focus on Academics is the reason why Daktronics hasn't been more of a leader when it comes to the new stadium and/or really putting a spectacular video board together?

The feeling I get is that Daktronics would much rather support Academia than Athletics, which is fine by me, but rather odd since their business is almost solely centered around athletics.

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        Filbert - Do you think a focus on Academics is the reason why Daktronics hasn't been more of a leader when it comes to the new stadium and/or really putting a spectacular video board together?

The feeling I get is that Daktronics would much rather support Academia than Athletics, which is fine by me, but rather odd since their business is almost solely centered around athletics.

Anyone?
                        Maybe how much has Avera given for the Avera science building? that was huge money if i remember. same thing that it seems as far as i have read that Lohr does most of his for Academics, yet the fishbacks and Larsons donate rather well to both sides.

Comment

Anyone?
                          I think a big part of the reason that Daktronics hasn't been a bigger supporter financially is because it is a publicly traded company that has to keep its shareholders best interests in mind. Avera/Sanford/First Bank & Trust/Larson are all private companies that have more latitude on where to spend.

Comment

Anyone?
                            I would guess that a sufficiently attractive offer/proposal from SDSU to "demo" certain products in a stadium setting for the company, if such an offer/proposal were properly formatted and presented, would probably find a receptive hearing. I certainly wouldn't expect Dak to lose money over the transaction, however. I certainly wouldn't expect to see any million-dollar video boards being donated to the school by the company.

Daktronics, regardless of its roots, is not and should not be in the business of promoting SDSU--its activities in that respect are at best a happy confluence of mutual interests.

I have the sense that Dak's support of SDSU is focused primarily on offering employment and career opportunities for SDSU grads. (Now, if some of those SDSU grads employed by Dak decide to band together and donate a Dak board to the new stadium, well then . . . :-)
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

choosing from 8 different plays (4 run, 4 pass) on every down does not make you a qualified play-caller.
                              I haven't seen the SDSU playbook up close but.........(yeah....I went there)
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                                I think a big part of the reason that Daktronics hasn't been a bigger supporter financially is because it is a publicly traded company that has to keep its shareholders best interests in mind. Avera/Sanford/First Bank & Trust/Larson are all private companies that have more latitude on where to spend.
                                That's a very good point, that I hadn't thought of before. My brother and I were just discussing this the other week. XXX Edited XXX I do think they cut SDSU and BHS breaks on scoreboards and such. My argument is if you are bringing clients in wouldn't you want to take them to a real-time setting close to your base of operations?

Message from JackJD: I removed some of the post. I'm not interested in Theee Catrabbit testing the water on a defamation claim.
                                Last edited by JackJD; 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM.
                                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                                X