Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game day: UND

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I watched the second half on DVR last night. The freshman QB showed some poise but also got lucky a couple of times. UND's receivers are big, quick and fast they will be a tough match-up for a lot of teams. That said, they have no running game and teams should be able to key on the pass.

The Jackrabbit passing game was not sharp in the beginning with about 5 mins left in the 3rd quarter. Sumner looked tentative when he had time and seemend to audible into plays that didn't have a chance. The UND defense seemed to sense just how tentative the Jackrabbits were becoming and fed off that. I expect Sumner to play much better going forward.

Last thought, I may be wrong but it seemed like UND'd top 4 receivers were all better than even the Jackrabbits best and I think Schneider is pretty good. It seems like our recruiting has not focused on finding enough DI quality WR's. Tyrel Kool was recruited for RB and Moss was a BB player. I think our lack of talent and depth at WR is a glaring deficiency for the team.
    Might be true, but I would guess having such good running backs and a history of run first makes it a little harder to recruit receivers.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Might be true, but I would guess having such good running backs and a history of run first makes it a little harder to recruit receivers.
      Frankly I think scouting WRs has to be one of the harder ones to recruit. sure size and speed you can tell but what about other factors, like ability to break coverage, hands, awareness of the play, blocking. sometimes its hard to tell if those skills are really good or how much will transfer to the next level. SDSU sort of does the lets recruit the best atheltes we can and put them in those positions, like WR saftey or linebacker.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I watched the second half on DVR last night. The freshman QB showed some poise but also got lucky a couple of times. UND's receivers are big, quick and fast they will be a tough match-up for a lot of teams. That said, they have no running game and teams should be able to key on the pass.

The Jackrabbit passing game was not sharp in the beginning with about 5 mins left in the 3rd quarter. Sumner looked tentative when he had time and seemend to audible into plays that didn't have a chance. The UND defense seemed to sense just how tentative the Jackrabbits were becoming and fed off that. I expect Sumner to play much better going forward.

Last thought, I may be wrong but it seemed like UND'd top 4 receivers were all better than even the Jackrabbits best and I think Schneider is pretty good. It seems like our recruiting has not focused on finding enough DI quality WR's. Tyrel Kool was recruited for RB and Moss was a BB player. I think our lack of talent and depth at WR is a glaring deficiency for the team.
        Well Schneider is going to be an All-MVFC player this year, Brandon Andrews was a 2 star receiver that also had an offer from Colorado, and Jake Wieneke was considered by Twin City sports writers as being the top receiver in the metro area last year...they felt the goofs blew this one. I also believe Wesley has the ability to be lightning in a bottle. Overall I like our WR corps, having a broken QB last year might have hurt our WR gameplanning and in game development a little. We will get there again though, Eidsness is known for his air raid....it'll just take some time. It's always going to come and go in waves, some teams are going to have better wide receivers than running backs and vise versa.

Heck probably our best receiving corps since being D1 consisted of a 10.5 sprinter who only played hs football and was recruited by everybody else as a DB in Jaron Harris, a guy recruited as a DB and Punter in Glen Fox, and a QB from a 9-man team in Mike Steffen.

Overall recruiting is a big old crapshoot, sometimes the dice role in your favor and sometimes they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
          Well Schneider is going to be an All-MVFC player this year, Brandon Andrews was a 2 star receiver that also had an offer from Colorado, and Jake Wieneke was considered by Twin City sports writers as being the top receiver in the metro area last year...they felt the goofs blew this one. I also believe Wesley has the ability to be lightning in a bottle. Overall I like our WR corps, having a broken QB last year might have hurt our WR gameplanning and in game development a little. We will get there again though, Eidsness is known for his air raid....it'll just take some time. It's always going to come and go in waves, some teams are going to have better wide receivers than running backs and vise versa.

Heck probably our best receiving corps since being D1 consisted of a 10.5 sprinter who only played hs football and was recruited by everybody else as a DB in Jaron Harris, a guy recruited as a DB and Punter in Glen Fox, and a QB from a 9-man team in Mike Steffen.

Overall recruiting is a big old crapshoot, sometimes the dice role in your favor and sometimes they don't.
          I was prepared to mention each of those guys. I don't think I'm wrong in saying we haven't put a priority on the WR position or punt returner the last couple of years. I agree Schneider will be all-MVFC. UND's guys looked really good against SDSU Saturday catching balls from freshman QBs. They had some big drops in the first half but seemed to be open a lot and catch a lot in the 2nd half. Anyhow......1-0 SELA in 4 days.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I was prepared to mention each of those guys. I don't think I'm wrong in saying we haven't put a priority on the WR position or punt returner the last couple of years. I agree Schneider will be all-MVFC. UND's guys looked really good against SDSU Saturday catching balls from freshman QBs. They had some big drops in the first half but seemed to be open a lot and catch a lot in the 2nd half. Anyhow......1-0 SELA in 4 days.
            Instead of talking about our receivers, we need to be worried about OUR DB's and Safeties to be honest! Sounds like SELA has a pretty good QB so it should be interesting!

Comment

One guy's opinion on what UND has to do to catch up with SDSU and NDSU:
              http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinio...at-went-wrong/

Comment

Working...
              X