Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    His opinion isn't that different than other SDSU fans have posted here before.

1-He is an SDSU alum
    2-He lives in Northwest Iowa
    3-USD signed more Iowa kids than SDSU (apparently?)
    4-He wants SDSU to look a little closer at Western Iowa, an area he feels is under-recruited.

And his ideas get trashed. Not disagreed with, not counter-argued, just trashed.

Cut the new guy a little slack. Most people's initial posts on this forum are about something they are upset about. If he is a troll, he will likely disappear within a few days. If not, we are running off a new poster.
    He obviously has serious knowledge about NW Iowa. His ZZ post was in jest, he was attempting to make a point. However when he insists that our coaches are not doing their jobs by not looking at kids he thinks we should, he is going to get trashed on here. When the posts keep coming about kids that USD signed that we didn't, it opens the door time and again. If you put a logical point on here, for the most part people are going to have a good debate about it. When you put posts like this out there, you reap what you sow:

'SDSU and Sioux Falls?? One scholarship player from Sioux Falls on SDSU roster and currently zero offers to current seniors? NDSU 5 scholarship Sioux Falls kids on their roster. Why are the Coaches at NDSU seeing talent in our backyard that SDSU coaches are not seeing. Quintanilla and Marlette would have looked great in a Jack uniform.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

IF YOU AINT DUTCH YOU ARE NOT MUCH
      , that's what he keeps telling us.
      Shucks I just a humble Norweigian. The next recruit we miss, the name will start with VAN.
      I will bet one doughnut and a cup of coffee.

I think Bulldog and SlapJack are friends, and that is not a problem. I would hope someone from the Football program is reading this thread, and takes it to heart. RO beat me to the punch and posted Zenner's rushing numbers against USD. Starr should have been an impact on those numbers but did not, but its hard to compare one good defensive player against a whole team of defense that, NDSU had, so no way are we comparing apples and apples.
      Can we just stop with the northwest Iowa = Dutch commentary already? I live in northwest Iowa. I am not Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        His opinion isn't that different than other SDSU fans have posted here before.

1-He is an SDSU alum
        2-He lives in Northwest Iowa
        3-USD signed more Iowa kids than SDSU (apparently?)
        4-He wants SDSU to look a little closer at Western Iowa, an area he feels is under-recruited.

And his ideas get trashed. Not disagreed with, not counter-argued, just trashed.

Cut the new guy a little slack. Most people's initial posts on this forum are about something they are upset about. If he is a troll, he will likely disappear within a few days. If not, we are running off a new poster.
        Well said. Thank you. I guess that means we agree on something? Beers all around!

Comment

We've apparently run out of things to talk about on this thread. We keep beating the same dead recruitment issues over and over again. The topics have become repetitious redundancies that repeat the same stuff over again. Let me know when spring ball starts. Thanks.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

IF YOU AINT DUTCH YOU ARE NOT MUCH
            , that's what he keeps telling us.
            Shucks I just a humble Norweigian. The next recruit we miss, the name will start with VAN.
            I will bet one doughnut and a cup of coffee.

I think Bulldog and SlapJack are friends, and that is not a problem. I would hope someone from the Football program is reading this thread, and takes it to heart. RO beat me to the punch and posted Zenner's rushing numbers against USD. Starr should have been an impact on those numbers but did not, but its hard to compare one good defensive player against a whole team of defense that, NDSU had, so no way are we comparing apples and apples.
            There are two kinds of people I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'd urge everyone here to take a deep breath and cut slack to everyone involved:coaches, first-time posters, veteran posters. Recruiting 18-year-olds, whether they are from Sioux City or Mexico City, has got to be the most imprecise science in the world. You will tend to miss some (Starr) and then you will tend to hit homeruns on others (the Jacks had a pretty salty corps of linebackers this year, agreed?)

Comment

So we offer a DL from Seward Nebraska. Adam Holtrof.

https://twitter.com/terryvandrovec/s...40877381156864

i assume that is for 2014.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

[QUOTE=NorCalJack;247791]So we offer a DL from Seward Nebraska. Adam Holtrof.

i assume that is for 2014.[/QUOTE

Actually I believe 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    So we offer a DL from Seward Nebraska. Adam Holtrof.

i assume that is for 2014.
                    Here is his Hudl. Looks to be a 2015 Recruit. Better get a thread fired up.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/569377/adam-holtorf

Also - holy crap. That kid is only a junior? He was just mauling people. Big, strong, fast. Wow. For the Nebraskans, in which class of football does Seward participate?

Another edit: After rewatching some of this film, there is no way we are landing this kid. He's Big 10/Big 12.
                    Last edited by KUlawJack; 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Edit: I'm dumb.

I read his post about Zenner without reading the one above it. Didn't realize that's what he was replying to because it wasn't quoted. I was wrong.

I also maintain that he is strangely upset about us not recruiting kids from that area and that his disdain for "Arizona recruits" is misguided and childish.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

In reading through the past few days of this thread, I think a strong suggestion "discuss posts, not posters" is called for, and should be followed by one and all.

And with that, I invite a return to the topic of the thread.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Do we have any outstanding offers out or coaches waiting till thinks settle down with the guys who were holdouts but missed their chance?
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            Can we just stop with the northwest Iowa = Dutch commentary already? I live in northwest Iowa. I am not Dutch.
                            Well then you are not much!! So says the cliché. Just having fun. I guess I was the only complainer when Norwegian jokes were flying around on this board. Poking a little at NW Iowa and their people should be fair game. I don't think I have attacked an individual poster, if I have, I apologize.

As I said, in other, post, I hope someone from the football program is reading this thread. We might be missing out on some excellent recruits, by not paying more attention to NW Iowa.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 02-14-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

This whole exchange has gotten me to thinking of a conversation I had with a parent a few years ago. She and her husband commented to me that since SDSU had gone D1 that SDSU coaches 'expected' all of the local kids to walk on, and that the coaches were with-holding scholarships. Their son was a good, but not great high school wrestler (4 time state qualifier - best finish was 5th during his junior year). This parent was absolutely convinced that their son deserved a scholarship offer at SDSU vs the opportunity to walk-on. They felt that the only reason that he wasn't given a scholarship was because he was a local kid, never mind the fact that most of our scholarship offers go to kids with multiple state championship appearances.

I also remember 3-4 years ago that there was a QB at Sissiton (can't recall the name) that was putting up video game passing #'s - I believe he led the nation in passing yards after 6 weeks of the season - and there was a new story about how he was attracting interest from Texas Tech among other schools. There was an interview with his High School coach where he stated that the player was the best he had ever seen in person at that position, and that he absolutely would play at the highest level. In the end, the young man was injured during the season - not a career ending type injury - and his numbers leveled off. He ended up accepting a walk-on scholarship to SDSU, and left the program after his red shirt year.

The long and short of this is that HS coaches, parents, and fans are biased in their opinions about just how talented the players that they see everyday are. IMO most just don't see the flaws they have, and tend to over estimate their ability. While I'm certain that our coaches - like coaches in every program - miss on kids, they certainly aren't purposefully passing over better local kids to take a chance on kids from outside the area. That would be career suicide for any coach with a desire to move up the coaching ladder.

Comment

West Lyon's football program has been outstanding for many years, but also remember they have played at the lowest 11 man division in Iowa so a very good chance they are playing lesser talented schools so scouting talent at lower division schools can be tricky. Same goes for 9 man or lower enrollment 11 man SD schools. I know NW Iowa has really good athletes but scouting players in higher divisions gives a better scope, not always, transitioning to the FCS. This post was done not really researching where sdsu athletes have come from either.

Comment

Working...
                                X