Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Per Wyoming Fan board: Bohl was down in FL yesterday visiting w/ Salmon. Ever since he got his 1st offer from SDSU there hasn't been much internet/social media chatter about SDSU (maybe it is on the down low? .
    Let's hope so. His highlights remind me of Doug Peete's highlights from high school. That turned out okay for us.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Tyler Starr does impress me, but why he chose USD over other schools is really his choice to make and it was made. The other UNI guy, well..............a missed opportunity.
      A year before Starr and Gacke, another Central Lyon kid (and parents) made a visit to SDSU and felt it was a waste of time. Talking to kid's mom, SDSU coaches weren't even excited to give him a PWO spot. However it happened, the Central Lyon coaches were also upset and have been steering kids away from SDSU as much as they can.

This goes back to BULLDOG's comment about local coaches and trainers being frustrated. I trust the coaching staff to judge talent when awarding scholarships, but they need to be conscious of the relationship as well.

Comment

Perception is reality. Regardless of history, who may be to blame, and the extent of any lingering problem, SDSU should try to mend the situation. Fans can help, too, not in recruiting specific players but in talking up the school and its normally welcoming nature.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
          A year before Starr and Gacke, another Central Lyon kid (and parents) made a visit to SDSU and felt it was a waste of time. Talking to kid's mom, SDSU coaches weren't even excited to give him a PWO spot. However it happened, the Central Lyon coaches were also upset and have been steering kids away from SDSU as much as they can.

This goes back to BULLDOG's comment about local coaches and trainers being frustrated. I trust the coaching staff to judge talent when awarding scholarships, but they need to be conscious of the relationship as well.
          Makes sense to me to base opinion of the program on the perception of a mom of a high schooler that didn't get offered. I'm sure she would be completely fair in her assessment as I've never seen a mother overestimate their children's ability, talent, or level of play, and then be scorned about it when things don't go their way.

Maybe to give us a better idea on this situation, where did said player end up playing?
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            Makes sense to me to base opinion of the program on the perception of a mom of a high schooler that didn't get offered. I'm sure she would be completely fair in her assessment as I've never seen a mother overestimate their children's ability, talent, or level of play, and then be scorned about it when things don't go their way.

Maybe to give us a better idea on this situation, where did said player end up playing?
            If you aren't Dutch you aren't much. So the saying goes.

Comment

@stuwhitney: Lincoln running back Caden Quintanilla has reversed decision to play at SDSU and has verbally committed to Augustana. Was Elite 45 captain.

@stuwhitney: "Augustana felt like home and I rushed my decision (to attend SDSU)," said Quintanilla. Would have been preferred walk-on for Jacks.

Comment

@stuwhitney: Lincoln running back Caden Quintanilla has reversed decision to play at SDSU and has verbally committed to Augustana. Was Elite 45 captain.
                Ouch!, we have the right to change our minds.

Comment

He was a d2 all-American for two years and won a nc at NW Missouri State. He had d1 talent; qb/fs similar to Synder from west Lyon this year.

I trust the coach's decision for scholarships, and I don't care whether some mother got upset. It bothers me that the issue poisoned the water with the local coaches and affected in-roads to future recruits. (Rumor has it that they still hold a grudge.) As a jacks fan, I worry about this happening other places. For what it is worth, I try to do my part to promote sdsu.

Comment

@stuwhitney: "Augustana felt like home and I rushed my decision (to attend SDSU)," said Quintanilla. Would have been preferred walk-on for Jacks.
                    This sucks because I really liked the idea of him being used as a Ryan Smith type player like somebody else mentioned earlier, but it is understandable with him wanting to stay home, have a scholarship, and have a chance to be a primary runningback. We are loaded with scholarship rb's with ZZ, Gandy, Paris, Rodriguez, Tusler, and Wallace....actual, consistent backfield time would have been hard to come by for him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                      This sucks because I really liked the idea of him being used as a Ryan Smith type player like somebody else mentioned earlier, but it is understandable with him wanting to stay home, have a scholarship, and have a chance to be a primary runningback. We are loaded with scholarship rb's with ZZ, Gandy, Paris, Rodriguez, Tusler, and Wallace....actual, consistent backfield time would have been hard to come by for him.

Unfortunately that's the position we are looking pretty set at. Don't blame him and gotta find what feels right. Better he does that now then after a tear or too like mohr or wiess.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Damn. I think he had a lot of upside, but Augie might be the best fit for him. I hope he succeeds like the Greenway twins have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Any idea who is on campus this weekend ?

Comment

He is talking about Nate DeJong, a S for NW Missouri St. DeJong was a 2 year starter for the Bearcats, and was an All-American his SR year when he recorded all 7 of his career INT's, one of which was a pick six. He had 78 career tackles, 71 of which he recorded his last 2 years. He also had 3 fumble recoveries his Jr Year. The Bearcats won a National Championship when he was a freshman in 2009.

DeJong's career stats can be found by scrolling down to his name here....http://www.nwmissouri.edu/sports/foo...istcarr.htm#24

According to this article he didn't receive any conference recognition until his Sr year in 2012, when of course he had a break out, All American campaign....http://www.newspressnow.com/sports/c...137755bf9.html

Personally I think it sucks that SDSU doesn't have a great relationship with every single school in the region, but I'm willing to bet that every college has a HS coaching staff that they don't get a long with, whatever the reason may be...such is life though, there's plenty of fish in the sea. It would especially suck though if the reason for the fallout was because a 17/18 year old and his parents felt like a spurned lover so they felt the need to spit venom at SDSU to their coaches(I'm not saying this is the reason, but that it sucks if it is).

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Unfortunately that's the position we are looking pretty set at. Don't blame him and gotta find what feels right. Better he does that now then after a tear or too like mohr or wiess.
                              How is SDSU set at RB in his class? Who's going to be there when Zenner is gone? Or even when Gandy is done? Zenner will be gone and Gandy will be a senior when he would have been a RS Fr.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

• 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post

Personally I think it sucks that SDSU doesn't have a great relationship with every single school in the region, but I'm willing to bet that every college has a HS coaching staff that they don't get a long with, whatever the reason may be...such is life though, there's plenty of fish in the sea. It would especially suck though if the reason for the fallout was because a 17/18 year old and his parents felt like a spurned lover so they felt the need to spit venom at SDSU to their coaches(I'm not saying this is the reason, but that it sucks if it is).
                                Exactly. To me it sounds like this is more of an issue with the HS coaching staff holding a grudge than anything SDSU did. Of course, I am biased in the situation.

Sounds like this kid had a good junior/senior year at a high quality D2 school. SDSU's staff must have seen the same thing that every other FCS school in the region did. The difference being we invited him and his family on campus for a visit?
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X