Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
    Bulldog is still not happy!! The 4 guys I wanted to see in a Jack Uniform are:

Marlette - NDSU (should have been a Jack) TOUGH!!! Going to hate seeing another area kid in Bison green! When is the last Fargo kid we've had playing at SDSU??
    None from Fargo, Pete Retzleff came from Ellendale and Ted Wahl from Jamestown, both a long time ago. Even in BB we don't have a shot at the kid from Fargo Shanley, he has already committed to being a Bison.
    I think NDSU has many NC banners and that kind of negates any desire to move south, not even the weather is a drawing card for SD. So there you go, we do have a better shot at NW Iowa though.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
      Bulldog is still not happy!! The 4 guys I wanted to see in a Jack Uniform are:

Marlette - NDSU (should have been a Jack) TOUGH!!! Going to hate seeing another area kid in Bison green! When is the last Fargo kid we've had playing at SDSU??

Quintanilla - Got fortunate he took a PWO You can't teach feet with RB's - He has jump cuts in the hole that are impressive - 2,000 yds 31 TD's in AA SD is impressive! Wants to be a doctor! I think he'll be able to handle the mental part of picking up blitzes.

Snyder - Visiting Univ. Iowa(PWO) and NDSU before SDSU?? Don't like that we waited so long. Got this workout video off his twitter https://vimeo.com/84182635 Winner!

Van Ginkel - No visit, PWO, or offer?? Really??? Take a look at his game against Sioux Center http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1172836/

My gut says we end up with none of these guys on scholarship. I hate missing on guys in the 100 mile radius!
      You are correct on Marlette, tough loss, this has been the trend with SF kids. Synder, kid is visiting Iowa, that is hard to beat. Quinanilla is good to have on the team, I hope he can work his way to a player. You are wrong on Van Ginkel, 10 years ago you we recruit him, today he is a d2 player. Comparatively if you look at the highlights of the kids we have and are recruiting, it isn't even close. What position would you want him to play?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        PS. It does not seem right that George Marshall has to pay his own way, but if that's how the NCAA regulations work, then so be it.
        Would it be right to get Marshall an academic scholarship because he is a good basketball player even though there may be a regular Joe Student that is more qualified? The NCAA allows a team a maximum number of scholarships for a particular sport just for this reason. You know as well as I do that not all universities would be on the up and up when it comes to athletes and academic scholarships.

I'm also not insinuating that Marshall is not qualified for an academic scholarship. He may very well be qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          Would it be right to get Marshall an academic scholarship because he is a good basketball player even though there may be a regular Joe Student that is more qualified? The NCAA allows a team a maximum number of scholarships for a particular sport just for this reason. You know as well as I do that not all universities would be on the up and up when it comes to athletes and academic scholarships.

I'm also not insinuating that Marshall is not qualified for an academic scholarship. He may very well be qualified.
          So a basketball player who is good enough to get a academic scholarship cant because they are on a sports team? Guess i never knew that. figured they could quailify for both, so a walk on for football cant receive academic scholarships?
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            So a basketball player who is good enough to get a academic scholarship cant because they are on a sports team? Guess i never knew that. figured they could quailify for both, so a walk on for football cant receive academic scholarships?
            Seems to me like a simple rule like "a scholarship is a scholarship" would apply.

But we're talking the NCAA here, so . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think they can get one, but that scholarship would count against the max allowed for whatever sport they are in. Again, as I said above, I'm not sure that's how it works. However, the maximum allowed scholarships for each sport are designed so the SDSU is essentially on the same playing field with say a Minnesota or Iowa when it comes to giving scholarships.

Again, if it doesn't work that way what would stop a school with deep pockets from "finding" a scholarship (academic or whatever) for a player to keep him out of the hands of a smaller school with a smaller budget? I would guess if an athlete gets an academic scholarship then the money the team had budgeted for that scholarship would be re-distributed.

Comment

My point was if Marshall is on the basketball team he can't get a scholarship (even if it's academic) from SDSU because the basketball team already is at the full allotment.

Comment

My point was if Marshall is on the basketball team he can't get a scholarship (even if it's academic) from SDSU because the basketball team already is at the full allotment.
                  Yeah i was just making sure. Seems strange that an athlete can not get academic scholarships because the basketball team has too many. I figured they could quailify for both.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

From what I drew from the Q&A that Coach Nagy had with TV, Coach said that Marshall and his parents thought SDSU would be the best place to be, I get the feeling that the Marshalls have the resources to pay their own way for the year. So maybe its no big deal. The scholarship money will be there next year. I have learn some things from this discussion that I wasn't aware of.

Comment

I assume grant money in any form is also out. A booster such as myself could pay the tuition, but heaven help us if the NCAA found out. I never did the research on SELA, but I suspect this was what happen down there.

Comment

There is a limit of 13 scholarships in NCAA D 1 men's basketball. Let's say one of the players at SDSU is a Briggs Scholar so he has a full-ride academic. That counts against the 13 total for the basketball team. The advantage to the athletic department is the scholarship money isn't coming from the athletic department's pocket.

Comment

There are several internet sites that provide information related to the subject of scholarships being discussed in this thread. Here's one of the many:
                          http://collegesportseligibility101.c...ncial_Aid.html

...changing direction...

Several posts ago, someone asked how many Fargo athletes have been recruited to SDSU. It has been my guess that Fargo produces relatively few top athletes for the size of the community. I've always been surprised there aren't more Fargo athletes at NDSU. Look at the rosters of both NDSU and UND and note how many athletes are from North Dakota, especially in basketball. In many years, the number of North Dakotans on a UND or NDSU basketball roster is 1, 2 or 3 and sometimes 0.

Comment

Can we move the discussion about scholarships somewhere else? First and foremost you are discussing the finer points of college bureaucratic allotment of scholarships, which is boring as h@ll. Second, it has very little to do about our 2014 Recruits, it might have started that way, but it certainly is off topic.

Comment

Scratch Tom Kirsch from the list. He committed to Western Illinois on Wednesday. There goes another one of those mammoth offensive lineman recruits from Wisconsin.

Comment

I'm really hoping we can land Robert Olson out of Eden Prairie. He was scheduled to visit last Friday. His other two scheduled visits are today in Kentucky and next Friday at Rutgers. I'm guessing if one of those two programs offer, the allure of playing in the Big 10 or SEC will trump playing closer to home with the Rabbits. On a positive note, we are the only school that he has an offer from that he took an official visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X