Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
    Looks like Sioux Falls Lincoln RB Caden Quintanilla has committed to SDSU as a PWO.....https://twitter.com/Caden_Q25/status/423163597041467393

Quintanilla was the South Dakota Gatorade Player of the Year and the Argus Leader Elite 45 Captain, needless to say he is the most decorated player in SD this year. He has a lot of wiggle in his game and can cut on a dime. His first play of highlight #3 on the ncaasports link below is dirty.

Season Stats: 1900 rushing yards on 257 carries for 29 tds and 244 yards and 4 td's in the championship against
    Roosevelt....http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...ear/?id=157044

Highlights: http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...en-quintanilla

HUDL: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/169328/caden-quintanilla#

Argus Leader Video: http://www.argusleader.com/VideoNetwork/2874447067001/Elite-45-Captain-Caden-Quintanilla

KDLT Story: http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option...0846&Itemid=58
    Glad to see this and hear how committed Caden is to being as good as he can be.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

By my count, that makes 2 players this year that have chosen to walk-on at SDSU rather than take D2 scholarship offers from Sioux Falls schools. Love it!

Comment

We need some high profile Olinemen. Then fill in the rest with a WR LB and DL

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          That's if they compete, then you are correct. If a potential student athlete does not suit up but sits on the sideline in street clothes he is just another student, and that's my point which would apply to George Marshall in bb. As usual,I am most likely incorrect. I do get the part about counters etc. Its important part of the compliance program. I don't see anyone nominating me for the next replacement to Kathie Heylands and that might be a good thing.
          Oh, I'm certain I do not fully understand how it all works either. But, I don't think George Marshall can receive any money from SDSU this semester and be on the basketball team (is he even considered on the team?).

Hypothetical situation:

Let's say George Marshall is being recruited by SDSU and College X. Marshall wants to attend a school with a scholarship and SDSU doesn't have an athletic one to give (already at the max allowed by the NCAA), but College X does. What keeps SDSU from giving Marshall a scholarship from say the Physical Education program so he will come attend SDSU even though he may not be the most qualified student eligible for that money?

I honestly do not know the answer, but I have to think the NCAA has rules in place to prevent a college from "finding" a scholarship for an athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
            JJ Hejna was being recruited to play defense last I heard. He had quite a few interceptions over the last couple years. He also went to Michigan's football camp last summer as a db prospect. He was invited to SDSU's camp after he had decided to check out the Michigan camp. He has been up a couple times on visits since. It would be nice to have 6'4" safety to help defend over the top. I also heard Yankton's kicker was going to walk on.
            I have heard similar with the exception that Hejna will ultimately be an OLB. I agree with others, getting these walk-on guys when they have local DII offers is huge.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              What keeps SDSU from giving Marshall a scholarship from say the Physical Education program so he will come attend SDSU even though he may not be the most qualified student eligible for that money?
              Yep. The NCAA is what keeps that from happening. Similarly, Marcus Heemstra can't take a baseball scholarship in order to free up one in basketball.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I have heard similar with the exception that Hejna will ultimately be an OLB. I agree with others, getting these walk-on guys when they have local DII offers is huge.
                Its the tip of the iceberg of growing the culture of SDSU. Getting local kids who want to be here is huge and if they have the mindset its worth it to walk on, esp. with how good many of our walk ons turn out to be, thats great for SDSU when other local colleges are willing to spend a schollie on those kids.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Its the tip of the iceberg of growing the culture of SDSU. Getting local kids who want to be here is huge and if they have the mindset its worth it to walk on, esp. with how good many of our walk ons turn out to be, thats great for SDSU when other local colleges are willing to spend a schollie on those kids.
                  Yup. And of course the amazing new facilities that will soon come online are a big part of that appealing new culture.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Brandon Snyder, West Lyon, visiting weekend of the 25th. Visiting Iowa this weekend and NDSU, SDSU the next weekend.

http://iowa.rivals.com/barrier_noent...sp&cid=1596938

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Is Hejna also a high jumper at Yankton or am I thinking of someone else?
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        Brandon Snyder, West Lyon, visiting weekend of the 25th. Visiting Iowa this weekend and NDSU, SDSU the next weekend.

http://iowa.rivals.com/barrier_noent...sp&cid=1596938
                        BULLDOG will be ecstatic .

Comment

It looks like they updated Chris Little's Rivals profile to include all of his offers.... besides WYO and Bryant, he also had offers from Northern Iowa and USD. He is a real good pickup.

Also, it looks like it is going to be another big recruiting weekend this weekend. However, if the weather decides to cooperate with me tomorrow, I will be heading out of town for the weekend for some relaxation and the pursuit of intoxication, so I won't be around to or have time to really follow any of the recruiting happenings or post updates, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            BULLDOG will be ecstatic .
                            Bulldog is still not happy!! The 4 guys I wanted to see in a Jack Uniform are:

Marlette - NDSU (should have been a Jack) TOUGH!!! Going to hate seeing another area kid in Bison green! When is the last Fargo kid we've had playing at SDSU??

Quintanilla - Got fortunate he took a PWO You can't teach feet with RB's - He has jump cuts in the hole that are impressive - 2,000 yds 31 TD's in AA SD is impressive! Wants to be a doctor! I think he'll be able to handle the mental part of picking up blitzes.

Snyder - Visiting Univ. Iowa(PWO) and NDSU before SDSU?? Don't like that we waited so long. Got this workout video off his twitter https://vimeo.com/84182635 Winner!

Van Ginkel - No visit, PWO, or offer?? Really??? Take a look at his game against Sioux Center http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1172836/

My gut says we end up with none of these guys on scholarship. I hate missing on guys in the 100 mile radius!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Oh, I'm certain I do not fully understand how it all works either. But, I don't think George Marshall can receive any money from SDSU this semester and be on the basketball team (is he even considered on the team?).

Hypothetical situation:

Let's say George Marshall is being recruited by SDSU and College X. Marshall wants to attend a school with a scholarship and SDSU doesn't have an athletic one to give (already at the max allowed by the NCAA), but College X does. What keeps SDSU from giving Marshall a scholarship from say the Physical Education program so he will come attend SDSU even though he may not be the most qualified student eligible for that money?

I honestly do not know the answer, but I have to think the NCAA has rules in place to prevent a college from "finding" a scholarship for an athlete.
                              Years ago, during the Wayne Haensel era, I had a grand nephew who had a career at a central ND school and I sent his game films to the recruiting coordinator, who that time was Donny Charlson, Donny invited my nephew and parents down to Brookings and he did not have a scholarship available as I recall, but they wanted him to come and he spent time with financial assistant people. Seems like there was some grant money available. Maybe they were breaking the rules I don't know and the details are long forgotten, but my nephew choose to go to UND and major in accounting and did not play football. He is right now make a good salary at General Mills. These details were re-told to me by my niece, the young man's mother. I did not have privy to the conversations, but this is basically what got me off the track. I know there have been many conversations about counters on this board and I understand better now how this works. My apologies to Btownjack for calling him a peanut head. It turns out he was correct in calling me out.

PS. It does not seem right that George Marshall has to pay his own way, but if that's how the NCAA regulations work, then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                                Bulldog is still not happy!! The 4 guys I wanted to see in a Jack Uniform are:

Marlette - NDSU (should have been a Jack) TOUGH!!! Going to hate seeing another area kid in Bison green! When is the last Fargo kid we've had playing at SDSU??

Quintanilla - Got fortunate he took a PWO You can't teach feet with RB's - He has jump cuts in the hole that are impressive - 2,000 yds 31 TD's in AA SD is impressive! Wants to be a doctor! I think he'll be able to handle the mental part of picking up blitzes.

Snyder - Visiting Univ. Iowa(PWO) and NDSU before SDSU?? Don't like that we waited so long. Got this workout video off his twitter https://vimeo.com/84182635 Winner!

Van Ginkel - No visit, PWO, or offer?? Really??? Take a look at his game against Sioux Center http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1172836/

My gut says we end up with none of these guys on scholarship. I hate missing on guys in the 100 mile radius!
                                Do Snyder and Van Ginkel have any scholarship offers from any DI schools? I haven't seen anyone link a rivals page so I'm not sure.

EDIT: Just saw Snyder's.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X