Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Are you saying once the football team has doled out its 63 scholarships the athletic department then goes looking for academic scholarships to give to athletes that may not have gotten an athletic scholarship?
    Yes they could if that student athlete needed the help. I believe it's called financial assistance. Open to all students. So what you asking is that if a potential athlete comes to SDSU, and there is no athletic scholarship money available, they are closed to any possible academic scholarships, loans, grant money or any type of financial assistance. Seems like the administration would be discriminating against athletes and we would be more or less pointing them to the door and be telling them to get lost. I don't think that is how it works. Athletic scholarship money is separate from the academic as far as I know, but if some works out of both sources, I see no problem.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 01-14-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I know it's asking alot, but it would be awesome if Quintanilla turned out like NDSU's Ryan Smith.

Like Quintanilla, Smith dominated at North Dakota's highest high school class but some doubted he had DI ability because of his size. Smith has found a way to be a dangerous return-man and wide receiver for the Bison.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
        I know it's asking alot, but it would be awesome if Quintanilla turned out like NDSU's Ryan Smith.

Like Quintanilla, Smith dominated at North Dakota's highest high school class but some doubted he had DI ability because of his size. Smith has found a way to be a dangerous return-man and wide receiver for the Bison.
        I hope he does well. He is intelligent and will work his tail off. IMO, if the running back position doesn't work out he would be a very capable returner. Guy is quick and shifty.

Comment

If you are receiving a scholarship from SDSU, whether it is academic or athletic, I believe it counts against the University, because other wise every school would be creating another 20 scholarships for academic and just give them to athletes. Now I think where the question is, if they are getting non-SDSU scholarships, does it count? If you are Native American, and a son of a veteran and on top of it got a Wal-Mart and Corn Growers scholarship and that pays for everything, do you count against the 6

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            If you are receiving a scholarship from SDSU, whether it is academic or athletic, I believe it counts against the University, because other wise every school would be creating another 20 scholarships for academic and just give them to athletes. Now I think where the question is, if they are getting non-SDSU scholarships, does it count? If you are Native American, and a son of a veteran and on top of it got a Wal-Mart and Corn Growers scholarship and that pays for everything, do you count against the 6
            Maybe I am getting screwed up here. I always thought a scholarship such as the Jackrabbit Guarantee was open to all students. You have to have a certain ACT score and GPA, and beyond that its fair game for everyone wanting to attend SDSU. If I stand to be corrected, then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I hope he does well. He is intelligent and will work his tail off. IMO, if the running back position doesn't work out he would be a very capable returner. Guy is quick and shifty.
              Great change of pace back to go with a guy like Zenner. He can also catch the ball, I could see him be a 3rd down guy as well. If he is indeed a PWO he will be getting after it and earning a scholarship after his first year. I've seen him workout and he is the real deal. GREAT FEET! Footage of him working out- Light blue shorts and white tank.

http://www.airattackacademy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                Great change of pace back to go with a guy like Zenner.
                You do realize Zenner will be long gone before he ever sees the field?
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Per a friend in Yankton JJ Hejna will walk on for Jackrabbits. 6'4" WR broke all Yankton receiving records. Great athlete, needs to work on his quickness, speed. Scholarship offers from Augie and other local D2 schools. Good in state walk-on if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Maybe I am getting screwed up here. I always thought a scholarship such as the Jackrabbit Guarantee was open to all students. You have to have a certain ACT score and GPA, and beyond that its fair game for everyone wanting to attend SDSU. If I stand to be corrected, then so be it.
                    If a football player gets any money from SDSU it counts against the 63 scholarship athletes. If it didnt there would be universities that would abuse academic scholarships to give them to athletes that maybe are less qualified than another student.

Comment

Great change of pace back to go with a guy LIKE Zenner.

Comment

The NCAA funds Division I-AA to award 63 scholarships to football players. However, to keep Division I status, schools must have 76.5 football players on scholarship. Therefore, many Division I-AA college football players receive partial instead of full scholarships. Most I-AA schools divide their 63 scholarships amongst 85 football players to fill out an active roster

Comment

It's great that the Jacks are getting Caden Quintanilla, the biggest high school star that Sioux Falls has to offer this year. I'm guessing that he'll work his way onto the field for the Jacks sooner than his size would suggest.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            It's great that the Jacks are getting Caden Quintanilla, the biggest high school star that Sioux Falls has to offer this year. I'm guessing that he'll work his way onto the field for the Jacks sooner than his size would suggest.
                            Maybe I am wrong but see some issac rodrigeuz style in him. A little shifty bit slippery and quick but a hard runner.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

JJ Hejna was being recruited to play defense last I heard. He had quite a few interceptions over the last couple years. He also went to Michigan's football camp last summer as a db prospect. He was invited to SDSU's camp after he had decided to check out the Michigan camp. He has been up a couple times on visits since. It would be nice to have 6'4" safety to help defend over the top. I also heard Yankton's kicker was going to walk on.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                If a football player gets any money from SDSU it counts against the 63 scholarship athletes. If it didnt there would be universities that would abuse academic scholarships to give them to athletes that maybe are less qualified than another student.
                                That's if they compete, then you are correct. If a potential student athlete does not suit up but sits on the sideline in street clothes he is just another student, and that's my point which would apply to George Marshall in bb. As usual,I am most likely incorrect. I do get the part about counters etc. Its important part of the compliance program. I don't see anyone nominating me for the next replacement to Kathie Heylands and that might be a good thing.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 01-15-2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X