• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacksfan29
    replied
    Re: NDSU/SDSU common opponents

Originally posted by Bison06 View Post
    If I did it was a false sense. Sometimes when you are close, you find out later that you were much further away from winning than you originally thought.

What Jacks fans seem to be forgetting is NDSU played in that game too. We learned some things as well and we actually WON the game, think of the confidence we gained.
    There seem to be two items the Bison faithful fall back on in regards to the upcoming SDSU game. They suddenly see their first win as being a dominant win in which SDSU wasn't even on the field. Then there is the 2nd half performance against ISUR. We shall see, but I watched the NDSU v SDSU 1 matchup and wasn't impressed at all with the lackluster NDSU offense. Their defense is another story, very typical hard nosed fast and very disciplined NDSU defense.

We will need to be able to throw the ball this time. Not an easy task, but it can be done. That is the only way we will be able to open up the run and get Zenner to 100 yards. If he gets to 100 or close to 100 we win. If he is around 50 as last game we lose. As for the Bison faithful's assertion that the 2nd half of the ISUR game is an indicator that the Bison offense is suddenly on track. I'm one who thinks ISUR is a bit over rated. Take a look at their resume and you wonder how they ended up with a 1st round bye over us. OK, they beat a MAC team. Woo Hoo, they also got taken into OT with a very bad OVC school and were on the ropes against USD.

http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

It should be a fun game. I like most of the Bison faithful and if they win I think almost all SDSU fans can say that we will be cheering for the Bison to win another championship. They first need to get past us. It likely will not be an easy task.

Leave a comment:

• Bison06
    replied

Originally posted by 344Johnson View Post
    Idk 06, haven't you ever been in a game of any variety(video games, sports, or anything) where you end up keeping it closer than anticipated and leave thinking that if you get another crack at them, you really think you can win?
    If I did it was a false sense. Sometimes when you are close, you find out later that you were much further away from winning than you originally thought.

What Jacks fans seem to be forgetting is NDSU played in that game too. We learned some things as well and we actually WON the game, think of the confidence we gained.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Idk 06, haven't you ever been in a game of any variety(video games, sports, or anything) where you end up keeping it closer than anticipated and leave thinking that if you get another crack at them, you really think you can win?
    When I get frustrating close to beating a tough video game, I like to take a step back, play a couple other video games, then come back to it. The result: I dominate the formerly challenging video game, then I throw it in a drawer for a year, and continue to dominate the rest of the video games left in my room.

Being that my gaming life is a microcosm of the SDSU football team, I have little doubt about the result on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• mnjackrbt
    replied

Exactly, keep it close, gain confidence, realize you can hang with the big boys. EIU wasn't as bad as they looked (they definitely weren't too good though), our guys were making damn sure they were going to get another crack at NDSU and get that bad taste out of their mouth. I doubt any player is upset about this matchup like fans are, they are probably pretty ecstatic about it. A close loss on the road at the #1 team just gives you confidence and makes you hungrier for that next match with them.

Leave a comment:

• 344Johnson
    replied

Originally posted by Bison06 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but you'll have to explain to me how losing a game can make you think you can beat a team? Should SDSU's player have confidence they can play with NDSU? Absolutely.

But, don't try and tell me they have the confidence they can beat them after they LOST.

Leave a comment:

• Bison06
    replied

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
    NDSU did not dominate SDSU in any part of that game. Dominating is a game that is never even in question, a game that is over before the 4th qtr even starts. This was anybodys game right down to the end. All that game did was give SDSU confidence that they can win this game and gave underclassmen, Zenner, Cam Jones, Lally, Sumner, etc., a look at the Fargodome before the playoffs. They will have no more pregame jitters about playing in the fargodome anymore. No player will ever admit it, but I'm sure there were a few who weren't sure if SDSU would win or not when that game started a couple weeks ago. After playing that game, every single player knows that they can not only compete with the Bison but they can beat them. Its going to be a heck of a game, whoever wins is going a long ways.
    Excuse my ignorance, but you'll have to explain to me how losing a game can make you think you can beat a team? Should SDSU's player have confidence they can play with NDSU? Absolutely.

But, don't try and tell me they have the confidence they can beat them after they LOST.

Leave a comment:

• BisonNation
    replied

I threw these stats up on BV the other day because frankly I have a lot of time on my hands and I'm willing to do about anything to make Saturday get here faster! I know it's just stats and you can skew them anyway you want, so I tried to grab the same stats for both sides of the ball. Most of these were a lot closer than I wanted to believe, credit the Jacks. Anyway, kill some time, flame on me for meaningless stats, or appreciate the effort. Doesn't matter to me because either way I've already done the legwork.

Team Statistic
    ............................NDSU 11 Games------------------------------SDSU 12 Games
    Total Defense...........................1st----------------------------------------------8th
    3rd Down Conversion % Def.......1st (25.95%)----------------------------------23rd (33.68%)
    1st Downs Allowed....................1st (11/g)--------------------------------------15th (17/g)
    Passing Defense........................1st (1415 yards, 5.44 yards/att)-------------30th (2247 yards, 5.23/att)
    Red Zone Defense.....................95th (11 scores in 13 drives, 8 TD)----------2nd (21 scores in 36 drives, 13 TD)
    Rushing Defense.......................1st (67.09 yds/game)-------------------------13th (116.17 yds/game)
    Scoring Defense........................1st (11.82 points/game)----------------------4th (15.42 points/game)
    Tackles For Loss.......................32nd (73 TFL, 307 TFL yards)----------------67th (67 TFL, 321 TFL yards)

3rd Down Comp. %...................2nd (53.13%)----------------------------------63rd (38.86%)
    First Downs..............................39th (21/game)--------------------------------81st (18.83/game)
    Passing Offense........................77th (189 yards/game)-----------------------76th (189.92 yards/game)
    Red Zone Offense.....................16th (52 scores in 58 drives, 38 TD)---------60th (32 scores in 40 drives, 19 TD)
    Rushing Offense.......................25th (197 yards/game)------------------------28th (190.25 yards/game)
    Scoring Offense........................13th (35.55 pts/game)------------------------67th (25.08 pts/game)
    Tackles For Loss Allowed...........6th (3.73 TFL allowed/game)----------------62nd (5.83 TFL allowed/game)
    Total Offense...........................50th (386 yards/game)------------------------57th (380.17 yards/game)

Leave a comment:

• 344Johnson
    replied

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    There is no doubt that NDSU's defense held SDSU's offense in check for most of the Dakota Marker game. At the same time, SDSU's defense held NDSU's offense in check for most of the game, too. Both defenses were great. NDSU's was slightly better. I expect that both offenses will have some new tricks up their sleeves and whichever defense does a better job of adjusting to those will probably win. The Bison have some huge advantages: They are defending national champions. They almost never lose in the FargoDome in front of their enthusiastic fans. They have more playoff experience. They have the best defense in the country. I think SDSU's offense has improved a good bit since the last meeting. If they line up and try to stop Zenner, Sumner will make some plays. Will it be enough? Who knows. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

One thing is for certain: These are two of the best teams left in the tournament. It's a shame they aren't playing in a later round.
    I am curious to see if SDSU's offense has improved or if it it has just been a reflection of the opponent. EIU did not look very good(though they gave ISU-R all they could handle and did pound on SIU), and USD sucks.

Leave a comment:

• mnjackrbt
    replied

NDSU did not dominate SDSU in any part of that game. Dominating is a game that is never even in question, a game that is over before the 4th qtr even starts. This was anybodys game right down to the end. All that game did was give SDSU confidence that they can win this game and gave underclassmen, Zenner, Cam Jones, Lally, Sumner, etc., a look at the Fargodome before the playoffs. They will have no more pregame jitters about playing in the fargodome anymore. No player will ever admit it, but I'm sure there were a few who weren't sure if SDSU would win or not when that game started a couple weeks ago. After playing that game, every single player knows that they can not only compete with the Bison but they can beat them. Its going to be a heck of a game, whoever wins is going a long ways.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

There is no doubt that NDSU's defense held SDSU's offense in check for most of the Dakota Marker game. At the same time, SDSU's defense held NDSU's offense in check for most of the game, too. Both defenses were great. NDSU's was slightly better. I expect that both offenses will have some new tricks up their sleeves and whichever defense does a better job of adjusting to those will probably win. The Bison have some huge advantages: They are defending national champions. They almost never lose in the FargoDome in front of their enthusiastic fans. They have more playoff experience. They have the best defense in the country. I think SDSU's offense has improved a good bit since the last meeting. If they line up and try to stop Zenner, Sumner will make some plays. Will it be enough? Who knows. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

One thing is for certain: These are two of the best teams left in the tournament. It's a shame they aren't playing in a later round.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

That is the point. Don't rewrite history. South Dakota State fans have came across as implying that if not for a couple penalties, they win the game. That is rewriting history. Whether that is the implied message or not is a whole different story.
    Yes and bison fans say that they should never have lost the ISU Blue game, but they did.

Leave a comment:

• 344Johnson
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Let's not re-write history. The Bison only led by 3 when they scored with just over two minutes left. They had a two score lead for about a minute.
    That is the point. Don't rewrite history. South Dakota State fans have came across as implying that if not for a couple penalties, they win the game. That is rewriting history. Whether that is the implied message or not is a whole different story.

Leave a comment:

• UTH
    replied

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post
    So you're saying this could be a whale of game?
    Cut all the silly analysis. ^^This^^ is all anyone needs to know until kickoff.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabbit1979
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Let's not re-write history. The Bison only led by 3 when they scored with just over two minutes left. They had a two score lead for about a minute.
    And the margin would have been only six if not for a questionable roughing the passer call AND an inexcusable illegal substitution penalty. But spare the details..."the Bison were dominating until they went into prevent mode."

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

SDSU couldn't do anything until late in the game when the Bison had a two score lead with little time left.

It's not rubbing it in, it's what happened.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X