Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trophy series for SDSU vs. USD game

Originally posted by witness View Post
    LOL at all the hate on the timing. I doubt the players are thinking about it, much less care about it as the trophy is not won or lost next week. It provides competition not only on the field but also in the classroom. I think it's a good idea. Keeps a friendly competition on and off the field. If the players are distracted by a simple trophy series, than how can they be focused on the field and not more likely to make a mistake.
    You dont find the timing bad? a week before we play our rival for the confrence title and a chance for the playoffs? What about all the sports that have competed against USD and they didnt get the hype and excitement of knowing they are competing for more then just the W. Several sports have already played against them, seems like this is something that should have been brought at the start of the school year or if the kick off to the trophy is the football game, should have hyped it up the week they are playing.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      You dont find the timing bad? a week before we play our rival for the confrence title and a chance for the playoffs? What about all the sports that have competed against USD and they didnt get the hype and excitement of knowing they are competing for more then just the W. Several sports have already played against them, seems like this is something that should have been brought at the start of the school year or if the kick off to the trophy is the football game, should have hyped it up the week they are playing.
      Why would they announce it before the year? It would have about half as much hype max as announcing it before the huge football game. Announcing it this weeks, allows for the press conferences to get out of the way and the hype on just the game will be next week. Also, they probably set the date to be this week before the season even started. I'm saying that the players/coaches better not be distracted nor care about the trophy this week. I'm just sayin' that too much is being made about the timing, when the only people worried about the trophy series this week is the fans and media people.
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I'm just sayin' that too much is being made about the timing, when the only people worried about the trophy series this week is the fans and media people.
        That's the problem, though. The fans and media should be focused on the fact SDSU has a good team and has an opportunity "this week" to earn a conference championship and a possible seed in the upcoming playoffs, not the fact that, next week, we get to play a 1-8 team that just happens to have a college in the same state as we do.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Why would they announce it before the year? It would have about half as much hype max as announcing it before the huge football game. Announcing it this weeks, allows for the press conferences to get out of the way and the hype on just the game will be next week. Also, they probably set the date to be this week before the season even started. I'm saying that the players/coaches better not be distracted nor care about the trophy this week. I'm just sayin' that too much is being made about the timing, when the only people worried about the trophy series this week is the fans and media people.
          I am sure they coaches dont care about it until next week. There have been many events that have counted towards the corn cup. It would have given the start of the year some hype for both teams and fans to get excited about. I feel like I am and the media is wasting our time talking about something that would have been better to do next week when their is a confrence title on the line. I would rather read about the NDSU game on the news website then read about a trophy that happens to be part of a game that happens next week.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            Yeah, it's not a game trophy, rather a series trophy. Sadly, those losses in volleyball and soccer could come back to bite us in the butt when the points are tallied at year's end. Those are contests we simply should have won.
            We actually won the soccer match with the Coyotes but two very dissappointing loses in VB.

My questions is: Do we get extra points for sports that USD does not have? Equistrian, baseball, wrestling............For some reason this corn cup does nothing for me as a fan that would get me excited.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
              We actually won the soccer match with the Coyotes but two very dissappointing loses in VB.

My questions is: Do we get extra points for sports that USD does not have? Equistrian, baseball, wrestling............For some reason this corn cup does nothing for me as a fan that would get me excited.

GBGBGJ
              Me either, The Little Brown Jug worked for years even though it was a smaller verison of a one of the B10 rivaliries, Minnesota vs Michigan? Not sure, but this new thing is silly, but lets see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post

GBGBGJ
                I think its a bit silly considering we have sports that USD doesnt offer. Maybe if we had the same sports then it would be exciting but I think its sort of a silly way to drum up hype that doesnt need it. Stick with the trophy for football that was good enough for bragging rights for fans and schools.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  As long as it's not a corn cob, I'm alright with it.
                  When I said this earlier, I thought it was a trophy for the football game for this next weekend. I agree with Chains. It doesn't get me excited at all.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I am pretty sure the timing has a lot more to do with when Learfield was able to line up a sponsor than anything else. Had they lined up the corn people earlier, it would have been announced then.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                      Sadly, those losses in volleyball and soccer could come back to bite us in the butt when the points are tallied at year's end.
                      Yes...I'm sure we can all cry into our big bag of relevant sports playoff berths at the end of the year. How about this, take volleyball, soccer, golf, tennis and all the other sports that are filed under "who gives a ****" and let USD win them all? That way USD gets a big shiny trophy to show that one fan.
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                        ...How about this, take volleyball, soccer, golf, tennis and all the other sports that are filed under "who gives a ****"
                        Time out. I give a **** and I think most others on this board do too. Personally, like you Catrabbit, I couldn't care less about this marketing effort but let's not gratuitously toss some great athletes under the bus just to illustrate or emphasize a point.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          Time out. I give a **** and I think most others on this board do too. Personally, like you Catrabbit, I couldn't care less about this marketing effort but let's not gratuitously toss some great athletes under the bus just to illustrate or emphasize a point.
                          I think it's well known my feelings on the olympic sports (and the band).....I'm not ashamed.....but once again, most people only have a passing interest and read the occasional blurb in the paper on said sports. I never said they weren't good athletes or I didn't like them or the coaches, Erickson(swimming) is one of my favorite coaches, a real nice guy with a good story.....but in general no one cares about those sports, the revenues they produce proves it(money never lies). I'm the first to say cut as many irrelevant programs as you can, but I realize title IX and all that, doesn't mean I have to like it. I also don't have to care if USD beats us in golf and takes home the "Worst-Named-State-Title Corn Contest". As long as we win in Football, MBB, and WBB, the rest simply doesn't appeal to me, nor the general fans, consider that all the other sports have had a few head to head contests and there has been neither hype nor bragging about said victories or defeats.....agree to disagree.....
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

And you called me not a true fan? Ha.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

1 - This is an incredibly dumb name. Oldest 'state/u' rivalry in the country, and one of the oldest public university rivalries period, and 'showdown series' is what you come up with? Why not "Beige Bowl"? Or "The Thing where you win something."

Shoot, 'Corn Cup' would've been fine (forget who called it that). In fact, that's what I'm going to start calling it.

2 - The Corn Utilization Counsel is writing the checks. Therefore they got to schedule the press conference. Sell & Sayler probably didn't like the timing, but again, who's paying for this?

Comment

I like the Corn Cup name. Once that starts, there will be no stopping it. I can't imagine the corn people would mind at all.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X