• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MontanaRabbit
    replied
    Re: Future Schedules

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    We better start having better crowds to have that sort of checkbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol. Fact. I don’t envy the schedulers at SDSU.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Or open the checkbook.
    We better start having better crowds to have that sort of checkbook.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    The only way you're getting anyone better to come is if you sign a home-away contract. Would you rather play a better team and have 1 less home game every year? I wouldn't. Not worth it. What's the point?
    Or open the checkbook.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    Wow, we've become like USD fans and wanting to schedule easy. I mean seriously, if we can't beat a bottom of the barrel Southland/OVC/Big South/etc team then the MVFC will chew us up and spit us out anyway. Now maybe we contacted all those teams about a one-of and they said no, then I guess fine. But no one here is going to convince me that a crappy bottom two of the MEAC game is anything but a joke. The only benefit is that it's a counter. Everything else about it sucks.
    The only way you're getting anyone better to come is if you sign a home-away contract. Would you rather play a better team and have 1 less home game every year? I wouldn't. Not worth it. What's the point?

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

If we had traded the UAPB's of the world for better FCS and FBS teams the last two years and lost, we wouldn't have been seeded. I think people complaining about Delaware State don't have a good grasp on the needs vs wants of the FCS playoff picture. Also, the SUU game was likely scheduled 3+ years ago, when they were top level Big Sky team. I think the typical formula is one home and home with a good FCS squad (see MSU and SUU), one home FCS patsy, one P5 FBS, MVFC. Go 8-3 with that schedule, and you can probably get a seed. Go 9-2, and you're a high seed. In a year with 12 games, having 6 home games is a must, and having an easy win in DSU plus an easy travel road game (and likely win) in Drake sets us up as well as possible for a 9-3 or better season. I have no problem with the DSU game. I'd have a huge problem if we scheduled UW-Oshkosh again, which is what happened in 2014 when we had a 12 game season. If you go 8-4 in a 12 game season with a non-counter win, you might get left out if the bubble is strong (see Indiana state 2018). Instead, we have an all D1 schedule, with 6 home games, and a very good chance to go 3-1 or 4-0 in the non-conference schedule. I don't see much to complain about with that.

Leave a comment:

• 2002jack
    replied

Wow, we've become like USD fans and wanting to schedule easy. I mean seriously, if we can't beat a bottom of the barrel Southland/OVC/Big South/etc team then the MVFC will chew us up and spit us out anyway. Now maybe we contacted all those teams about a one-of and they said no, then I guess fine. But no one here is going to convince me that a crappy bottom two of the MEAC game is anything but a joke. The only benefit is that it's a counter. Everything else about it sucks.
    I’m guessing this is the best they could do within the framework of scheduling.

Leave a comment:

• SteelSD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    You have to bring in a team that you know you can beat. They aren't going to schedule a middle/upper level team. Quantity of Ws is more important than Quality of Ws.
    Especially when playing in the meat grinder of the MVFC.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

I understand all that, but the optics of the UAPB were not good. I guess as long as Stig has learned to pull the starters earlier this time and not to throw at all it will be fine. I just think there is quite a bit of middle ground between an FBS team and a bottom of the barrel HBCU team.
    You have to bring in a team that you know you can beat. They aren't going to schedule a middle/upper level team. Quantity of Ws is more important than Quality of Ws.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

I understand all that, but the optics of the UAPB were not good. I guess as long as Stig has learned to pull the starters earlier this time and not to throw at all it will be fine. I just think there is quite a bit of middle ground between an FBS team and a bottom of the barrel HBCU team.
    Not really when it comes to getting a one off home game, especially when the majority of East Coast teams are very hesitant to travel outside of their region.

Leave a comment:

• SteelSD
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    In the end any FCS game is best for scheduling purposes. It’s better for playoff consideration and seeding than a strong DII would be and it’s smarter than two FBS games that out you behind the 8 ball right out of the gate to get enough wins. That’s the unfortunate reality.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Oh goody, a MEAC cellar dweller... Didn't we learn not to schedule bottom dwelling HBCU's after the Arkansas Pine Bluff debacle?
    In the end any FCS game is best for scheduling purposes. It’s better for playoff consideration and seeding than a strong DII would be and it’s smarter than two FBS games that out you behind the 8 ball right out of the gate to get enough wins. That’s the unfortunate reality.

Leave a comment:

• SteelSD
    replied

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    I received my "State" magazine today. It lists the following schedule for 2019.

Sept 7. Delaware State
    Sept. 21 Southern Utah
    Oct. 5 Southern Illinois
    Oct 26 NDSU
    Nov. 9 Illinois State
    No. 16 Northern Iowa

I don't think I knew about the Delaware State game. That must be our 12th game.

It must have been set some time ago to already be listed in print in a magazine.
    Oh goody, a MEAC cellar dweller... Didn't we learn not to schedule bottom dwelling HBCU's after the Arkansas Pine Bluff debacle?

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    It is on the ticket renewal package too.
    It looks like we had a little inflation.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
    Has anyone been able to verify this? I'm sure it must be happening if it is in that magazine, but I can find nothing on either teams websites about the game. Would like to know the details such as if this is a home and home deal or are we paying them to just come here?
    It is on the ticket renewal package too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X