University of Northern Iowa Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Northern Iowa Panthers

Tyrel Kool should be on EVERY kick return and should be the punt returner. The damage he can do on special teams outweighs his value as a wide receiver. It's a shame to watch every punt get fair caught or returned for negative yardage. Let's give Tyrel a chance to be dynamic. Theere is a belief he can go the distance almost anytime, Schneider never will.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      tyrel kool should be on every kick return and should be the punt returner. The damage he can do on special teams outweighs his value as a wide receiver. It's a shame to watch every punt get fair caught or returned for negative yardage. Let's give tyrel a chance to be dynamic. Theere is a belief he can go the distance almost anytime, schneider never will.
      this! This! This!

Superbunny
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
        this! This! This!

Superbunny
        Agree why is this so difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
          Agree why is this so difficult?
          I think it's tough to have a player be a starting WR, KR AND a PR. Being a punt returner is not one of the best things to be on a football field and it also can risk injury. That being said, I believe Kool needs to be the PR as well.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I love that Kool is returning kicks now, but I'm not sure he would be as good at punt returning.

Kick returning and punt returning require different running styles (yes, I'm aware there are people that have the ability to do both), for kick returning is more straight ahead, hit the seam at full speed, while punt returning requires more jump cuts and jukes being that many times the returner will be at almost at a complete stop during the catch and have to dodge defenders heading down field with a full head of steam. Just look at the success rate of a kick return in which the ball carrier moves sideline to sideline as oppose to that on a punt return.

The point is, Kool is very talented when he gets the ball on the move in space, but isn't as good moving laterally and changing speeds/directions, which is one of the reasons why I feel he struggled as a running back but has been successful as a receiver.

My personal preference for our punt returner situation would be to have Dom Wright return the punts in which there are 50+ yards of separation between the line-of-scrimmage and the goal line, but if it's a fair catch situation, have the sure-handed Schneider back there.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              I love that Kool is returning kicks now, but I'm not sure he would be as good at punt returning.

Kick returning and punt returning require different running styles (yes, I'm aware there are people that have the ability to do both), for kick returning is more straight ahead, hit the seam at full speed, while punt returning requires more jump cuts and jukes being that many times the returner will be at almost at a complete stop during the catch and have to dodge defenders heading down field with a full head of steam. Just look at the success rate of a kick return in which the ball carrier moves sideline to sideline as oppose to that on a punt return.

The point is, Kool is very talented when he gets the ball on the move in space, but isn't as good moving laterally and changing speeds/directions, which is one of the reasons why I feel he struggled as a running back but has been successful as a receiver.

My personal preference for our punt returner situation would be to have Dom Wright return the punts in which there are 50+ yards of separation between the line-of-scrimmage and the goal line, but if it's a fair catch situation, have the sure-handed Schneider back there.
              Agreed ^^^

Also, and this may sound stupid, but fielding a kick off and fielding a punt are different skill sets. Just because a guy can do one doesn't mean he can do the other. I don't know if this is the case, but thought I'd toss it out there. "Back in the day" our top kick returner didn't return punts even though we were one of the top kick return teams in the nation. Fell into that straight ahead, hit the hole type of speed versus the make a guy miss and find a seam type of runner.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                Agreed ^^^

Also, and this may sound stupid, but fielding a kick off and fielding a punt are different skill sets. Just because a guy can do one doesn't mean he can do the other. I don't know if this is the case, but thought I'd toss it out there. "Back in the day" our top kick returner didn't return punts even though we were one of the top kick return teams in the nation. Fell into that straight ahead, hit the hole type of speed versus the make a guy miss and find a seam type of runner.
                Absolutely correct. You have to remember that 'catching' a KO and Punt are completely different and just because you can do one well, does not mean you can the other.

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
                  A huge week to say the least. Our defense which has been awesome will really gets its first real test against an offense/offensive coordinator that knows what they are doing. They will throw a lot of stuff at us and their skill people have given us fits in the past. Offensively we have the most generic passing game in the nation. That is on our coordinator- it is the same from last few yrs- dink and dunk- UNI corners will man up- make us beat them with the pass and load the box to shut down Zenner. My opinion only. Saturday can't come soon enough! Go Jacks!
                  Wait a minute. Have you seen Army or Navy play lately?

Comment

http://www.northern-iowan.org/uni-to...ming-1.2780577

and

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      Wait a minute. Have you seen Army or Navy play lately?
                      No I haven't, tell us more.

Comment

Working...
                      X