GDT: Missouri State - Beef Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Missouri State - Beef Bowl

I think last night was a case of playing down to your competition, especially when Missouri State comes in 0-4. Stig said in the presser that it seemed there wasn't that intensity that you usually see. And in my experience, that can happen when you're playing a "lesser" team.

I think the fact that the Jacks were able to make plays despite their mistakes says a lot about the players on this team.

It wasn't pretty, but SDSU went 1-0 this week. They'll be getting refreshers on the fundamentals during the bye week and I think we'll be all right.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

If anyone thinks we can hang with the UNI's, NDSU's and Youngstown's of the world with a one dimensional offense, than they are nuts. But no, let's not criticize the team! We are 4-1!!!
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I had no idea the sky was falling.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
          I had no idea the sky was falling.
          Idk, I tried to be positive after lasts weeks game, but I'm not sure how anyone can feel good about the product we saw on the field last night. Maybe we're not giving our opponents enough credit, but our offense was UGLY again last night. Take out Zenner's 88 yard run (I know you can't do that) and even he didn't have an outstanding game.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            If anyone thinks we can hang with the UNI's, NDSU's and Youngstown's of the world with a one dimensional offense, than they are nuts. But no, let's not criticize the team! We are 4-1!!!
            This is not based on facts from yesterday's game. Jacks had 194 yards rushing, 88 on one play, and 192 passing. In fact the commentators were noting how balanced the offense was.

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
              What would we be if we played UNI's schedule? Yep u got it 1-4 We'll learn a lot on the 20th of Oct. Go Jacks
              1-4 based on what? That we couldn't beat Youngstown on the road or NDSU at home? Who says?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                Last year the offense looked good and the defense looked bad: We lost

This year the offense looks bad and the defense looks good: We win

I'll take the latter.
                The offense rang up almost 400 yards against a team that held two good FBS offenses down for a good part of two games. Those guys had a good defense and will not go winless. To quote Donald Sutherland from "Kelly's Heroes," "Why the negative vibes, man?" Go, Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  The offense rang up almost 400 yards against a team that held two good FBS offenses down for a good part of two games. Those guys had a good defense and will not go winless. To quote Donald Sutherland from "Kelly's Heroes," "Why the negative vibes, man?" Go, Jacks!
                  I'm not being negative at all. I was merely pointing out the merits of having a good defense and how I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

Note: The offense has been able to move the ball, but I can't call it good or even above average until we start converting more of those yards into points and turn the ball over less. I'm still optimistic about the offense, as I've saw flashes of potent passing attack against MSU, but it needs to be more consistent.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

[QUOTE=WestSideRabbit;208934]Idk, I tried to be positive after lasts weeks game, but I'm not sure how anyone can feel good about the product we saw on the field last night. Maybe we're not giving our opponents enough credit, but our offense was UGLY again last night. Take out Zenner's 88 yard run (I know you can't do that) and even he didn't have an outstanding game.[/QUOTE]

Going to call you out on this one. What, exactly, do you want from a back, an 80-yard run each carry?
                    Zenner had almost 100 yards rushing (96 precisely) without that run. The Bears had not allowed more than 80 yards rushing to any back since opening weekend and Kansas State's back racked up a lot of that in the fourth quarter after Missouri State trailed 16-9 entering the fourth.
                    Missouri State held Senorise Perry, the feature back of undefeated and 19th-ranked Louisville, to 72 yards, his lowest total of the year.
                    How many backs in the country got 96 yards yesterday, much less 184?

Again, the Debby Downerism on this string is just amazing. The other guys are tying to win, too. Zenner has almost 1,100 yards rushing in five games, for crying out loud.

Comment

We are 4-1, running the ball well, defense is playing well, and I think Sumner will start making better decisions about forcing the throws. It would be nice if Austin would run the ball more like he did last year, but maybe he's worried about an injury.

Comment

[QUOTE=NoVaJack;208943]
                        Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        Idk, I tried to be positive after lasts weeks game, but I'm not sure how anyone can feel good about the product we saw on the field last night. Maybe we're not giving our opponents enough credit, but our offense was UGLY again last night. Take out Zenner's 88 yard run (I know you can't do that) and even he didn't have an outstanding game.[/QUOTE]

Going to call you out on this one. What, exactly, do you want from a back, an 80-yard run each carry?
                        Zenner had almost 100 yards rushing (96 precisely) without that run. The Bears had not allowed more than 80 yards rushing to any back since opening weekend and Kansas State's back racked up a lot of that in the fourth quarter after Missouri State trailed 16-9 entering the fourth.
                        Missouri State held Senorise Perry, the feature back of undefeated and 19th-ranked Louisville, to 72 yards, his lowest total of the year.
                        How many backs in the country got 96 yards yesterday, much less 184?

Again, the Debby Downerism on this string is just amazing. The other guys are tying to win, too. Zenner has almost 1,100 yards rushing in five games, for crying out loud.
                        Well I was proven wrong! He had a better game than I thought while watching it. I stand by my point that the offense was ugly to watch last night.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

This is not based on facts from yesterday's game. Jacks had 194 yards rushing, 88 on one play, and 192 passing. In fact the commentators were noting how balanced the offense was.
                          Did they mention the TOs and costly ints. Had many scoring chances and only 17 points? I know we have a great back and saw great passing game last year. Just like to see consistancy in passing and eliminating ints. Sumner obviously can do better. We have witnessed it before. The thumb doesn't affect decision making. His trhows look crisp and accurate for the most part. I still think coaching staff needs to bring in some varity. Play action pass should not be hard to do. I like seeing the delayed hand offs and a few things we do but Ds still key on what we are doing.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Did they mention the TOs and costly ints. Had many scoring chances and only 17 points? I know we have a great back and saw great passing game last year. Just like to see consistancy in passing and eliminating ints. Sumner obviously can do better. We have witnessed it before. The thumb doesn't affect decision making. His trhows look crisp and accurate for the most part. I still think coaching staff needs to bring in some varity. Play action pass should not be hard to do. I like seeing the delayed hand offs and a few things we do but Ds still key on what we are doing.
                            Kansas 1-3, Ms. State 0-5, Southeast La. State, 2-3, Ind. State 3-2, UC Davis 1-3 We are 4-1 against teams that have a combined record of 7-16 Need to win those games that we are supposed to win and we have. The bulk of the season remains and a lot to be known in the next month as we all know.

Comment

I am having fun reading everyone's take on the game. Are the off the tackles runs still working Goon? I think they are, like the 88 yard one was off the tackle.

Comment

[QUOTE=WestSideRabbit;208945]
                                Well I was proven wrong! He had a better game than I thought while watching it. I stand by my point that the offense was ugly to watch last night.
                                Offense was ugly on both sides of the ball. The MSU fumble by the qb was ugly and as were his interceptions, why not complain about those plays? The bottom line, the game was a battle of two good defensive teams. What else would you expect but an ugly offensive game.

Comment

Working...
                                X