Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big news on practice facility donation

Good ones MH351 and Rowdy and Zooroopa!

This thread should be allowed to die. We have another thread in another section on the topic of the indoor facility.

May I suggest: those who fear things that go bump in the night start another thread, perhaps in the "Lounge" section.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      ROFL. The Mephistopholes part really, and I mean REALLY struck a funny bone. Must spread reps.

Although, technically, it *could* have been...it was anonymous. Cripes sakes, now our athletic teams will have to enter the stadiums and arena's through the gates of Hell because of the strings attached to his donation.

Seriously. I found it a tad ridiculous listening to everyone curse and swear at T. Denny Sanford for throwing his name around with his money...now someone donates anonymously and everyone is cursing the anonymity. People floor me, I swear.
      For the record, I was definitely not one of those cursing or swearing at T. Denny Sanford or Sanford Hospitals donations. I dont' have a big problem with Monsanto or the President's association with them. I wouldn't have a problem with Monsanto donating if it was disclosed. I might have a problem with it if it was anonymous.

All I'm saying is that accepting large anonymous donations could present the opportunity for corruption.

Its OK for people melt down when the governor doesn't publish the list of people who go on a freaking hunting trip, but its stupid (simple minded, laughable, etc) to question a 5 million anonymous donation. Got it.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Trending now: searches on Mephistopholes.

Comment

Originally posted by MH351 View Post
          I hadn't realized Monsanto had joined ranks with Exxon and banks as enemies of the people. Are there any companies that are profitable that are ok? All the same, I'm very glad for this anonymous donation, and look forward to having it help us win in the future.
          Sorry for using glorious, benevolent, and altruistic Monsanto in my hypothetical situation.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            Its OK for people melt down when the governor doesn't publish the list of people who go on a freaking hunting trip, but its stupid (simple minded, laughable, etc) to question a 5 million anonymous donation. Got it.
            Yeah, I thought the dustup about the hunting list was kinda dumb, too. However, I saw a distinction. When the press sought the hunting-list, it was fulfilling its traditional role to ask such questions of our elected officials: Who's paying money to you and why? Does that compare to making a donation for a facility on a university campus?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Meh, I hadn't heard about that, nor do I care to see who he took. I hope they had a great time.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Not sure where I should stick this so I will stick it here. Larson Doors and the Larson family pledge $1 million. Should see a PR in the Argus and local papers this week.

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Larson Manufacturing announced today that it has pledged $1
                million toward the construction of the Indoor Practice and Human Performance Center
                at South Dakota State University, a commitment that adds to a leading donor position
                previously in place from the Larson family.

With Larson Manufacturing’s commitment, a total of $29 million has now been raised
                toward the $32 million goal, said Justin Sell, Director of Athletics at SDSU.

“As a leading employer in Brookings, we recognize the importance of investing in
                projects that add to the city’s vitality,” said Jeff Rief, President & CEO of Larson
                Manufacturing. “We are convinced that this facility is a game-changer for South Dakota
                State University and the city of Brookings because it will be one-of-a-kind center for this
                region.”

Sell said the gifts from the Larson family provided important momentum for the project.
                The company’s $1 million gift now puts SDSU at 90% of its overall goal. “We would not
                be at this point without the personal commitment of the Larson family and the generosity
                of Larson Manufacturing,” Sell said.

Construction on the 161,500-square-foot indoor practice and human performance center
                will begin this summer, assuming the fundraising goal is met. The State Legislature
                authorized the project during the 2013 session. All of the funding for the project comes
                from private sources.

Larson Manufacturing is the largest manufacturer of storm doors and storm windows in
                the United States. Their products are sold through several big box retailers, lumberyard
                chains, and local hardware stores. LARSON is family owned company founded in
                1954 and has manufacturing plants in Brookings, SD; Lake Mills, IA; and Mocksville,
                NC. LARSON distributes its products through its own distribution centers including
                its Central Distribution Center in Albert Lea, MN. The company employs a dedicated
                team of 1300 employees throughout the United States. For more information visit
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One will never be able to keep track of all that the Larson family has done for Brookings and for SDSU. Thanks Jeff and Thanks Larson family - from a thankful fan!

Comment

The Question had come up earlier where the Million after the million that First bank and trust had given came from (So 27M to 28M I Believe; or was it before FB n' T?) (Goon may have been the one to catch this). I talked to Beth at the ticket office RE: this exact question, and the answer was this money was provided by a number of season ticket holders. In case this question was still out there.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      The Question had come up earlier where the Million after the million that First bank and trust had given came from (So 27M to 28M I Believe; or was it before FB n' T?) (Goon may have been the one to catch this). I talked to Beth at the ticket office RE: this exact question, and the answer was this money was provided by a number of season ticket holders. In case this question was still out there.
                      Wasn't me but I will take credit for it. That after the first bank and trust gave. Million it was reported 1 million more total then we last thought so that's good to get that cleared up.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Wasn't me but I will take credit for it. That after the first bank and trust gave. Million it was reported 1 million more total then we last thought so that's good to get that cleared up.
                        I believe SDSUAlum08 orginally raised the question of where did the 29th million come from. I thought it had come from from Fishbacks, but in the article cited by SDSUAlum08, it stated that the First Bank and Trust had given 1 million which made the total pledged 28 million, but it also stated that 29 million had been pledged. Apparently the Larson pledge was in the works. All the ticket holders contribution at 100 bucks would not equal 1 million bucks, that is not say that this money was not used towards the facility, but I doubt it totalled one million dollars. More like .5 million at the most. At .5 million it would have had to have 5000 season ticket holders and 1 million would require 10000 season ticket holders. Unless you are working in the accounting section at HPER, you dont know or if you do, not good for job security to be on this board correcting others like myself.

Comment

feel free to call Beth at the ticket office and argue with her about it. Could have been 2 ppl each donating 500k for all I know.

Comment

feel free to call Beth at the ticket office and argue with her about it. Could have been 2 ppl each donating 500k for all I know.
                            I trust you since you named your source, no reason to doubt it. as long as the money adds up i dont really care who or where it came from.....with in reason for follow the law.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It was me. Justin Sell had said 'We raised 29 million in 7 months.....' and only 28 million had been made public. He mentioned it on the Jackrabbit Insider a couple weeks ago.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Yup. You stagger the announcements to give each donor their day in the sun. Standard stuff.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X