Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri State-Beef Bowl

edit - double post
    Last edited by RowdyRabbit; 09-26-2012, 09:53 PM.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Stig was on 1230 AM this afternoon and said Fick reinjured himself and is a 'ways away' from playing.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Stig was on 1230 AM this afternoon and said Fick reinjured himself and is a 'ways away' from playing.
        Medical redshirt?
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Medical redshirt?
          probably soon i would imagine. not worth losing most of a year just to play a couple games IMO. Unless he is graduating and moving on with life and doesnt want to red shirt. I would imagine if its not serious injuries that the drive to play a full yaer would still be there.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
            ??? One was a response to an assertion that a loss was okay if the team played well. The trap game observation came after consecutive 22-, 25- and 28-point victory predictions on this thread. I won't call them arrogant predictions, but I would call them bullish. Mo State is an 0-4 team that you'd think would have little to lose, has been playing well defensively, and has a veteran coach. I expect a win and hope Jacks win but if the team goes in thinking it's four touchdowns better . watch out. When's the last time Jacks beat an MVC team that badly?
            SDSU beat Miss St 43-13 in 2008.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              probably soon i would imagine. not worth losing most of a year just to play a couple games IMO. Unless he is graduating and moving on with life and doesnt want to red shirt. I would imagine if its not serious injuries that the drive to play a full yaer would still be there.
              I believe you need to miss 2 seasons due to injury for a medical redshirt. Since he is a 5th year senior and has yet to be injured before this season unfortunately is it just bad timing as getting injured as a senior.

Comment

I am almost certain that is not true (2 seasons for med redshirt). See seth daughters of last year, injured his knee first game of the year and he was granted one. Kristian Porter, RB at USF played like 2 or 3 games and was still granted a med redshirt last year. I think it goes off games played or percentage of plays. Fick would qualify for one if he continues to struggle to get back.

Comment

Does anybody else have this, I don't know for lack of a better term, gut feeling that this team is on the cusp of being amazing? It just feels like everything is coming together and like all the pieces are there for a great run.

Comment

Originally posted by JackItUp78 View Post
                    I am almost certain that is not true (2 seasons for med redshirt). See seth daughters of last year, injured his knee first game of the year and he was granted one. Kristian Porter, RB at USF played like 2 or 3 games and was still granted a med redshirt last year. I think it goes off games played or percentage of plays. Fick would qualify for one if he continues to struggle to get back.
                    Daughters was "forced" to redshirt his first season because of an ACL injury, and then since he was injured early last year he has now missed 2 seasons due to injury.

I dont know anything about USF football so that doesnt help me much. If you have played in less than 1/3 of the games then get injured you can still redshirt that season (unless you have already used up your redshirt year). If you miss 2 seasons due to injury, you can apply for your 6th season of eligibility. Daughters missed years 1 & 4 our of 5, enough to apply for a 6th year, but no gurantee you will get it. Fick will only miss year 5, not enough to apply for a 6th season.

Comment

Per SDSU Athletic Twitter Feed:
                      Jackrabbit Athletics ‏@SDSU_Jacks
                      Less than 200 reserved seats available for Saturday's Beef Bowl game. Order at http://JackrabbitTickets.com #BeefBowl

Comment

I thought it was just for the 1 season as long as your out for a certain percent of games played you could play next year. I think if poeple have partial injuries and miss substantial time 2 years that may help get a MR. Waytashek for the womens team, was out most of 2 years but I think also played some of both years so since it affected more then 1 season i think is why she was granted MR.......Then again I have no idea, just guessing totally on my part.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I just googled it and read a few things. I see nothing about 2 years. Everything I have read says something to the tune of, if the athlete only participated in 30% or less of a season or less than 3 games, they can apply for medical hardship. How USF would "help" you is that they participate in the NCAA, same affiliation as SDSU and there was a big 2 page story in the argus leader talking about this before the football season. How he was granted a 6th season even though he played in the first 2 or 3 games last year. Bottom line is Fick would most likely be eligible for a medical redshirt. If you find something talking about the 2 year deal I would be interested in reading that, I have never heard of that and I hope that is not the case.

Comment

I just googled it and read a few things. I see nothing about 2 years. Everything I have read says something to the tune of, if the athlete only participated in 30% or less of a season or less than 3 games, they can apply for medical hardship. How USF would "help" you is that they participate in the NCAA, same affiliation as SDSU and there was a big 2 page story in the argus leader talking about this before the football season. How he was granted a 6th season even though he played in the first 2 or 3 games last year. Bottom line is Fick would most likely be eligible for a medical redshirt. If you find something talking about the 2 year deal I would be interested in reading that, I have never heard of that and I hope that is not the case.
                            I think its only if you play more then the %30 percent for 2 years but not much more and have serious injuries that combined means you still missed over a full year even though you played in more contests might be able to get 1 year back. Something like that.....Is it game time yet. Man i can not wait. WE are talking SDSU football at work and we are stoaked. Wearing our friday good luck shirts. Us guys wear the same shirt on friday and havent lost yet this year when we do. We wore different things during the Kansas game so hopefully we are doing our part to help the team.

Comment

I googled it quick and found a couple articles talking about it. Here are the links to two, one is from the USA Today which says, "The NCAA typically allows players five years of eligibility to finish four years of school. But the rules allow for exceptions in cases when players miss two seasons due to injury."

The other is from a recruiting service blog, didn't look into it enough to see if I would call it a reputable source or not though. It says, "The NCAA rules specify that a player must have lost 2 seasons out of their control in order to be granted a sixth season. This is not automatically given, and the school has to appeal to the NCAA for this second redshirt to happen."

However it looks like there are exceptions to everything. There are players who haved missed 2 seasons and not got a 6th year. Theres also players such as former Houston QB Case Keenum who missed less than 1 season and was granted a 6th year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...29510406_x.htm

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2011/...f-eligibility/

Comment

Crazy, I had never heard of that. Either way, lets hope Fick has a speedy recovery and is ready sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                                X