Indiana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana State

On to the next game. Indiana State is 2-1 with wins over Drake, a non-scholarship, and Quincy, Div II. Their loss was a 17-24 contest at Indiana.

The Sycamores boast one of top, if not the top, runningback in the FCS in Shakir Bell. Bell ran for 349 yards last week against Drake. This should be a great contest for State's defense and for Zenner.

This is another game that if State wants to make playoffs they'll probably need to win. If they win this week they'll put themselves in prime position to make the playoffs. Time to step up!

For those interested, this is their message board: http://www.sycamorepride.com/forum.php?
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: Indiana State

They seem to be fairly confident on their board, and downplaying our opponents records. this confuses me based upon their opponents this year. they are going to be a tough opponent for the Jacks, our defense needs to be up to the task and we need to score points.

Comment

We certainly need to contain Mr. Bell. Last year he ran for 218 yards / net 199 after a couple of loses on a run or two. Jacks are primed to play better. We could not run the ball last year and was Mr. O'Brien still our QB? I have to believe that Sumner is getting healthier.....and will be ready to go. If we can ramp up our passing game to compliment our running game we will be tough to beat. Keep playing that great defense Jacks. Special teams? Yikes...it has to get better - doesnt it?

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      On to the next game. Indiana State is 2-1 with wins over Drake, a non-scholarship, and Quincy, Div II. Their loss was a 17-24 contest at Indiana.

The Sycamores boast one of top, if not the top, runningback in the FCS in Shakir Bell. Bell ran for 349 yards last week against Drake. This should be a great contest for State's defense and for Zenner.

This is another game that if State wants to make playoffs they'll probably need to win. If they win this week they'll put themselves in prime position to make the playoffs. Time to step up!

For those interested, this is their message board: http://www.sycamorepride.com/forum.php?

Comment

Watched last year's game on the web, and thought that Shakir Bell was the best running back that I've EVER seen the Jacks play against.

Now, that's not that many games in comparison with many of our posters here, but he is a very impressive back. And that team has improved greatly over the past few years. They are building a nice program.

The Jacks are going to need some resemblance of a passing game this week...and the Defense has got to bring it again. Very tough game coming up. It would be a big win if we got it.

Comment

Enough talk about the concession stands and game day atmosphere. Let's talk about football. This is a huge game this week. We need a win if we want to get in the playoffs. Trees beware!

Comment

We've been cutting down tree's at my job all summer, it's a sign !! Jacks 24 Trees 20

I hope the OL and Zenner keep on doing their thing and that Rollin gets involved. Defensively, we should be okay, gotta go hard ! And also win the turnover contest, that would help us.

Comment

ISU's has many reasons to be confident and a bunch of crappy years they want to forget about. Standing in their way this week is a Jackrabbit team that has been good enough to win 2 games that they played well below their potential in. If, and it is still an if, the team is prepared and executes at a high level, they will have every chance to win. The defense can't be expected to be out there as long as they were against UC Davis. If they are Bell is going to punish them. The offense has got to sustain some drives and score with efficiency. Turnovers will lose this game if they occur like they have.

Some are suggesting that just winning against UC Davis is what mattered most. All the same, a loss Saturday regardless of how well SDSU plays is a loss. In the end the only acceptable result if this team is going to make the playoffs is 1-0 this week. That isn't going to happen if SDSU doesn't improve the pass game and punt return game and limit turnovers.

There is plenty uncertainty in my mind, I hope the coaches and players prove me foolish to wonder or doubt. I'll be post call but hopefully rested enough to listen in the garage.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have been checking out the ISU Forum, the Sagarin Ratings, etc. This is a going to be a great game with a lot on the line. It seems like each week we seem to say that this is a big game and a must win if we plan on going to the playoffs, but once again, it applies to the game this week! I have said it before, I have a lot of faith in these players, they will give us everything they have. I do know one thing for certain though; I will get water at half time in a very timely manner.

Go Jacks!
                Jackolantern

Comment

I said it a few weeks ago in the weekly chat: This is the game of games. The season won't be over of course, but a couple things happen with a win here. 1. We will be 3-1 all FCS wins. 2. National Ranking and improvement in Sagarin, etc. very important for playoff seeding. 3. Confidence etc. 4. A clearer road to the 7 wins needed to make the playoffs, and more than likely get 8 or 9 wins.

remaining schedule:
                  InState: Difficult
                  Missouri State(home): Winnable
                  Western Illinois(home) Winnable
                  Northern Iowa: Difficult
                  Youngstown State(home; Hobo Day): Difficult
                  SIU: Winnable
                  NDSU: Difficult
                  USD: Winnable/Difficult(home;some sort of rivalry game makes this potentially difficult)

Of all the diffcult games we have left In State will be the easiest, which "ain't" all that easy. But we need a win against them and perhaps one of the other difficult games to get a decent seed. Of course a win against every one of them would be awesome, and I believe this team has it in them.
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    ISU's has many reasons to be confident and a bunch of crappy years they want to forget about. Standing in their way this week is a Jackrabbit team that has been good enough to win 2 games that they played well below their potential in. If, and it is still an if, the team is prepared and executes at a high level, they will have every chance to win. The defense can't be expected to be out there as long as they were against UC Davis. If they are Bell is going to punish them. The offense has got to sustain some drives and score with efficiency. Turnovers will lose this game if they occur like they have.

Some are suggesting that just winning against UC Davis is what mattered most. All the same, a loss Saturday regardless of how well SDSU plays is a loss. In the end the only acceptable result if this team is going to make the playoffs is 1-0 this week. That isn't going to happen if SDSU doesn't improve the pass game and punt return game and limit turnovers.

There is plenty uncertainty in my mind, I hope the coaches and players prove me foolish to wonder or doubt. I'll be post call but hopefully rested enough to listen in the garage.
                    Well said. I wanted to say that the only thing I'm certain of at this point is our running game, but I'm not even certain about that. Is Zenner just that much of a beast? Is our run blocking really that good? Or are the run defenses of the 3 teams we've played just that bad? I'd guess a combination of all three.

I'm unsure of our pass game, mostly because of the thumb, and partly because our pass blocking hasn't been that good.

I'm unsure of our defense. Are they really that good, or have our opponents just been that bad? A MVFC game or two will give us all these answers and more.

All that being said. I'll go with this: Every facet of our game really IS that good.

Jacks - 24
                    ISU B - 21 (Bell really is that good as well)
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                      I said it a few weeks ago in the weekly chat: This is the game of games. The season won't be over of course, but a couple things happen with a win here. 1. We will be 3-1 all FCS wins. 2. National Ranking and improvement in Sagarin, etc. very important for playoff seeding. 3. Confidence etc. 4. A clearer road to the 7 wins needed to make the playoffs, and more than likely get 8 or 9 wins.

remaining schedule:
                      InState: Difficult
                      Missouri State(home): Winnable
                      Western Illinois(home) Winnable
                      Northern Iowa: Difficult
                      Youngstown State(home; Hobo Day): Difficult
                      SIU: Winnable
                      NDSU: Difficult
                      USD: Winnable/Difficult(home;some sort of rivalry game makes this potentially difficult)

Of all the diffcult games we have left In State will be the easiest, which "ain't" all that easy. But we need a win against them and perhaps one of the other difficult games to get a decent seed. Of course a win against every one of them would be awesome, and I believe this team has it in them.
                      I would change the Youngstown game to winnable . We beat them at their place last year,plus its Hobo Day. It won't be easy,but that should be a win if Sumner is back to form by then.

Comment

I realize this is easier said than done, but if we win all our remaining home games (4), and pick up won win on the road, that will give us a record of 7-4 (5-3). We would make the playoffs. I don' t think it matters which team we beat on the road. I don't consider this a "must win" game. I do consider all of the home games "must wins".
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          I would change the Youngstown game to winnable . We beat them at their place last year,plus its Hobo Day. It won't be easy,but that should be a win if Sumner is back to form by then.
                          I said Difficult. All the difficult games are still winnable. You are talking about a much better Youngstown State team, the one that made Pitt look like an FCS team. It's Hobo Day, the 100th such game. But we are not invincible on Hobo Day, and this is a good 'Guins team, who is playing UNI this weekend, so that would be my other choice of marquee match up this week.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            Well said. I wanted to say that the only thing I'm certain of at this point is our running game, but I'm not even certain about that. Is Zenner just that much of a beast? Is our run blocking really that good? Or are the run defenses of the 3 teams we've played just that bad? I'd guess a combination of all three.

I'm unsure of our pass game, mostly because of the thumb, and partly because our pass blocking hasn't been that good.

I'm unsure of our defense. Are they really that good, or have our opponents just been that bad? A MVFC game or two will give us all these answers and more.

All that being said. I'll go with this: Every facet of our game really IS that good.

Jacks - 24
                            ISU B - 21 (Bell really is that good as well)
                            Just some guesses here -

Zenner looked good last year - I say beast and improving. yes run blocking is good. give the new O-line coach some props. I also say lets give some credit to Coach Eidness. I like the way the offense executes a lot better this year than past.

Pass game - yes thumb. Austin has proved himself in the past. Remember the past problems Favre had playing with his bad thumb years ago. Pass blocking - I think Parker and Fick being hurt and dinged hurts them more than people have let on.

Defense - my initial impressions are they look good. pass rush/d line looks improved. They'll find out how much the run defense has improved this weekend.

I say why not. - Believe, the Jacks might be pretty good.

Comment

Got this e-mail yesterday, I am sure others did as well. Posting it here for those who haven't seen it.

One of the blessings of being the Head Football Coach at SDSU is the interaction I have with so many special people called “SDSU Alumni”.

SDSU Football players and staff can’t help but be motivated when we see the love and support that the Alumni have for “our” STATE. This past weekend was especially motivating for us as we ran out of the tunnel to see 11,532 alumni and fans helping create a special memory at our 12-8 victory over Cal Davis during the 17th annual Cereal Bowl which recognizes and supports the states commodity groups.

Currently we are 2-1 and ready to start play in the always challenging Missouri Valley Football Conference, when we travel to Indiana State on 9/22 to compete against the Sycamores. Be sure to make some noise where ever you find yourself this Saturday afternoon and please support SDSU every chance you get. It truly “Makes A Difference!”

I do hope to see each and every one of you at our upcoming games and don’t forget about the 100th celebration of Hobo Day on October 27 when we compete against mighty Youngstown State. It’s a great opportunity to see everything that’s new on campus while experiencing the traditions that make Hobo Day and State so very special.

Please see the link below and check out the video highlights from last week’s game at https://vimeo.com/jackrabbitfootball.

Take Care,

John Stiegelmeier
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X