Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackrabbit Gameday Experience

Originally posted by rowdyrabbit View Post
    reading through this thread, i have determined that i must be waaay more laid back than anyone else on here.
    this just in!!!!

Coughlin-alumni stadium is woefully inadequate!

everybody panic!!!!!!

Edit/disclaimer: This post was funnier before the board ate my all-caps. Well, at least I thought so.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I squeezed into my seat and was properly hydrated........i feel thankful

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        Funny that allowing tailgating after games for set # of hours happens at hundreds of football stadiums around the country without major drama or incident - why are we different?
        Because we are controlled by the South Dakota Board of Regents. It wasn't that long ago that they didn't allow tailgating at all. They are risk averse and that is how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Because we are controlled by the South Dakota Board of Regents. It wasn't that long ago that they didn't allow tailgating at all. They are risk averse and that is how it is.
          I would almost bet that the decision to not allow tailgating after day games for a set number of hours is a local decision on campus (AD, Prez, UPD) rather than a BOR mandate - but I'm guessing that neither you or I (or possibly anyone on this board) can prove that either way. It would add significant man hours/resources to the game day and security staff, and I'm not sure those areas are staffed adequately enough on our campus to handle that effectively.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
            Have you not seen all the bitching and moaning people *already* do about UPD?!

Heavens to Betsy, I can't imagine the outrage if they started administering breathalyzers.
            You want the opportunity to tailgate after games, you may need to be responsible enough to ensure you have a sober driver when you leave campus. I'm thinking everyone in my tailgate group would comply without question for an opportunity to hang out, have some beers, eat some food, and talk about how great of experience/game we just watched for a few hours after the game concludes.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
              No way will the Board of Regents allow tailgating after the game way too much liability risk. People would start drinking again and then need to drive home. I don't expect that to ever change, the UPD could be a little kinder in the way they ask you to leave but they are not going to let people restart their parties.
              The tail gate area is just that a place to gather before the game. Its not a picnic ground or an over night camping ground where we party around the fire until all hours. Those who tailgate and want more of it after the game should remember that its a price of admission and yes the tail gate fee, that allows them in the area in the first place. They are asking for more than what they orignally paid imo. But I am kind of old and senile.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-20-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                I think tailgating restrictions could be loosened somewhat. I understand wanting to close the lots in order to maintain some semblence of order. Due to the lines at the concession stands, we simply went out to our spot and had refreshments and snacks there at half time before going back in for the second half. Worked great, no one bothered us, but I have a feeling that may not always be the case in the future.

Also, if the game is an afternoon game, why not allow people to tailgate some after the game? Its 6PM and beautiful outside. I think we should be allowed to tailgate after the game for a period of time following afternoon games, just set a couple hour time limit. Fire the grill back up and have dinner before heading out. This rush to force people out is not very enjoyable. We were at Illinois last year and the tailgating after the game was great. This would be a huge improvement.

Also, our crowd needs to learn to be louder and to stand and cheer more. That's kind of frustrating.

Also, I'd like it if our own band did not play while we were in the huddle. They also stop before the other team breaks the huddle. Need to play all the way through. Just an observation.
                you mean you can leave the stadium at half time then get back in? if that's the case this must be the only stadium in the country that allows that. any stadium i've ever been to, once you leave you're not getting back in unless you have another ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                  you mean you can leave the stadium at half time then get back in? if that's the case this must be the only stadium in the country that allows that. any stadium i've ever been to, once you leave you're not getting back in unless you have another ticket.
                  Kansas allowed you to leave and re-enter at the half. If I remember correctly, you could do the same in Nebraska and at Iowa State. I think we were able to do that at Missouri State as well. My recollection of those last three is a little fuzzy, but it was an accepted practice for many in Lawrence a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    Kansas allowed you to leave and re-enter at the half. If I remember correctly, you could do the same in Nebraska and at Iowa State. I think we were able to do that at Missouri State as well. My recollection of those last three is a little fuzzy, but it was an accepted practice for many in Lawrence a few weeks ago.
                    I know in Lincoln you can leave at halftime or anytime during the game just have to be back before the beginning of the 4th quarter

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                      Sure isn't the only stadium where you can leave. I did it at UNL, KU, Iowa State, and Illinois. They simply stamp your hand. Same thing they did at CAS last weekend.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Things that are done well:

1.)The Game it's SMELF.

2.)The cheer team has improved dramatically since Coach(es) Habeck have ran the show, and now they have the all Girl squad down on the South end for the other student section. I like where the pride is now as we can hear them better, and't that;s kind of the point of a band.

3.)The Run onto the field and the intro seemed to be much smoother than almost all of last year.

4.) 89rabbits Tent (the alumni assoc. tent) is always fantastic, we usually make a point to eat there.

5.) Other Rabbit fans, we all seem to be for the most part a very respectful and polite group. Personally I go out of my way to wish visitors good luck and welcome them. (my reasoning for this is: I went to UNL and received this treatment and I now have a great respect for the fans there, and hope we could have the same impact on our visitors)

Although I have some issues with some things, I rate the game day experience as a whole as very good with room for improvement

I can't wait for Hobo Day, that place is going to be nuts, and that other game too...

Comment

If we're going to continue to have crowds of 14,000-plus, which I hope we do, the new stadium is going to have to be pushed up the priority list. We have season tickets, and if everybody in the row shows up, it's flat-out uncomfortable. Don't even bother trying to get in or out of your row unless it's halftime. The concessions seemed better last night. There were more vendors under the grandstand. But it's still so hectic under there, and there's no way you can watch The Pride, go to the bathroom and get a bit to eat and still make it back to your seat without missing at least half of the third quarter. Like others have said, I don't even bother with the concessions. And last night, at halftime, The Pride was going under the grandstand at halftime to get back to their seats. And they were pushing their drums and xylophones through. Borderline chaos. Mostly, though, the crowded seating is just very uncomfortable. We're considering letting the season tickets go and just getting bleacher seats. They can't be any less comfortable. And I'm hard-core. So that's saying something.

The band needed to move, but it's no so far away now that it zaps some of the life from the crowd. Probably no solution for that, though...aside for some more good plays to keep fans excited. The middle sections in the main grandstand are still death. A bunch of quiet, sitting fans. I know. I'm stuck in there. And I can't do anything about it because there is a very elderly couple behind me. So standing is basically rude. Kind of drives me nuts, but what can I do?

What's everyone think about games on TV? It really slows down the game, and there just doesn't seem to enough life among the fans to fill all of the down time. Obviously, I'm a fan of the publicity, and I like that people can watch SDSU on TV. But it really, really slows down the game. Last night was brutal, though the refs and the level of play had something to do with that.

Wonder what's going to come of tailgating with the practice facility. Just going to push it further north away from the stadium? That seems to make the most sense, though I think it will take away a little atmosphere with a huge building between the tailgate lots and the stadium.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I had a GREAT experience last night. Love those those night games. I thought they were more creative on the jumbotrom and what not, good job there. The attendance numbers were very satisfying. The beer tasted good. I thought it was a fun game to watch, jesus it's football not perfection in motion haha I just hear so much bitchin (including myself). Oh well. Our defense plays hard. They are aggressive and they hit passionately. One point that you cant argue and a point that would instantly improve the experience of the game and make those breaks so much more tolerable. SELL BEER INSIDE THE STADIUM. Don't even rationalize why that's a bad idea because it just simply isn't. It's so frickin obvious. Students would have a pulse in the second half, people in general would just up the energy so to speak. I will break my skull if someone disagrees with this obvious idea. Anyways, I've realized that being a fan means that it's on you to have a good time. Expecting to show up and be served into a fun experience is a bull**** mind set. I absolutely despise people that bring that attitude. That being said, I'll criticize whatever I want. Although not really much I can think of that was blatantly wrong about last night. Good job SDSU, let's keep getting better.
                            All in all I'm very satisfied with the level of play in the Missouri Valley and if you don't believe that then you should strap on some pads and go play with those guys, good luck. They're fast and precise, relatively speaking. But just sell some beer for christ sakes, don't be ridiculous. Those my thoughts peace.

Comment

Agreed with the beer. Though, if I would have had the option to buy beer last night after my flask was empty, I might have died.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                Agreed with the beer. Though, if I would have had the option to buy beer last night after my flask was empty, I might have died.
                                That's no excuse ! Do I want to know where you hide that thing to get into the game ?

Comment

Working...
                                X