Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Ball

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    Yes, I saw Ryan Tannehill lead aTm to a very mediocre record this season after playing WR previously.Additionally, say Stig, for some reason, moved him to WR. He gets hurt and isn't available to back up Sumner and we are looking at a third-string QB being one play away from the captain's seat. Why even risk that with the talent we have at WR? Simply, it doesn't make sense.
    I was more or less responding to the posters saying that they should use him in the Wildcat set and if he's as good of an athlete as they say then why not put him at wide reciever. Give him some end arounds, trick plays those types of play but not a full time WR. You can't have that good of an athlete sitting on the bench as a back-up QB. Also 2 years ago success has nothing to do with last years success at all! Heck, Tannehill is going to get drafted possibly in the first despite breaking his foot in workouts.
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      Agreed. Have to have a back-up ready to play. No reason to have him switch positions.
      I agree KUlawJack. The big question is - Does Kline agree? If he is as talented as advestised, will he be content being a backup QB for 3 out of 4 years? Or will he want to transfer to get some playing time? He is in a tough spot stuck behind Sumner. What do you guys think? I betcha $100 he wants to play.

Comment

I guess with our struggles as we have had. And if he is talneted as it sounds. I would like to see him get on the field because I don't want to keep him only as a back up. If your playing the game to avoid injury its going to be rough. We need to put the talent on the field somehow. If its a dual qb situation or used only in certain sets but you can't keep him on the bench just becuase your worried about injuries.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Are you suggesting they use a dual quarterback playbook? Come on people how many elite colleges do that? Not many. There are studs that wait three years to get that one year of starting. Dont be a fool and think bc hes a good athlete they should think of a dual quarterback. Sumner is the starter and will be.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
            Are you suggesting they use a dual quarterback playbook? Come on people how many elite colleges do that? Not many. There are studs that wait three years to get that one year of starting. Dont be a fool and think bc hes a good athlete they should think of a dual quarterback. Sumner is the starter and will be.
            Nope. But maybe some plays he can come in for. Do you really want to keep maybe one of the best athletes on the team on the bench till he is a senior or if sumner gets injured. I just think we should find away to use the talent we have.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Nope. But maybe some plays he can come in for. Do you really want to keep maybe one of the best athletes on the team on the bench till he is a senior or if sumner gets injured. I just think we should find away to use the talent we have.
              I hate the dual quarterback idea as well. And I'm just saying if fans don't want WR incase he gets hurt than why would they want him to be in the Wildcat package!?! All I'm saying is that QBs know the routes of WR and he doesn't need to start or play most of the game at WR. There could be some end arounds, double reverses, trick plays and heck maybe some Wildcat, but if hes as athletic as advertised you CANNOT have that kind of athletic talent wasting away on the bench holding the clipboard for 3 years. Why not put him on the field any way you can?
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Injuries are part of the game regardless of position, so I hope that doesn't factor into whether Klein sees the field or not.

The reason I would prefer to see Klein as the Flash/Wildcat QB over receiver is that it would get him reps at the position he's next in line for, which would help him adjust to the speed of the game quicker if for some reason Austin went down. Running the Flash/Wildcat would also give Eric an opportunity to read defenses from under center, even if most the time it would just be whether to hand the ball off or keep it.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Kline should stay at quarterback. You guys all mentioning injuries....

God help us, and I pray it never happens, but say Sumner happens to get hurt?

And it wouldn't have to be this coming year either... I mean... 3 more years...

Also, wouldn't have to be a "season ender" either... could be he misses a game or two...

It happens guys, it is football.

I'm happy we have 2 quarterbacks that everyone is excited about, one a sophomore and the other a redshirt freshman.

Comment

If a guy is talented enough to play WR over the current WR's then I think it has to be looked at. I don't like Dual QB rotations or crap like that, but I would like it if they had a package for the backup QB. And I think having a different type of backup QB could make it really work. Bring him in 2-3 possessions a game, whether that is wildcat or modified wildcat or whatever I think that wouldn't be the worst idea.

Comment

This has become a very interesting thread. Usually fan bases look for QB controversies only when their QBs aren't performing. Ours was in the running for a national award last year.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        If a guy is talented enough to play WR over the current WR's then I think it has to be looked at. I don't like Dual QB rotations or crap like that, but I would like it if they had a package for the backup QB. And I think having a different type of backup QB could make it really work. Bring him in 2-3 possessions a game, whether that is wildcat or modified wildcat or whatever I think that wouldn't be the worst idea.
                        If the back-up QB is a better WR than the WR that have been recruited,we need to re-examine the way we evaluate possible recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          If the back-up QB is a better WR than the WR that have been recruited,we need to re-examine the way we evaluate possible recruits.
                          A lot of times players change from the position they were recruited for. Sheehan, jeske, are just the first 2 that come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Wow. This statement really confuses me. Do you know how many NFL players played QB earlier in their careers and switched to WR? Do you know how many Jacks were recruited at QB and switched postitions? C'mon. Jake Steffan and Derek Domino were HS QB's. QB's by nature are supposed to be great athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              This has become a very interesting thread. Usually fan bases look for QB controversies only when their QBs aren't performing. Ours was in the running for a national award last year.
                              Absolutey a great problem to have especially if you keep the back up QB happy and he stays in your program. Look how many transfer QB's we played who transferred to differant schools. Delaware two years ago (Donovan i think), Illinois State, and Indiana State. All three beat the Jacks with transfer QB's.

Comment

Changing the subject - Why is Stig only practicing 3 running plays and 7 passing plays for Spring Ball? Brilliant. Once again the Jacks are smarter than the competition. Other schools experiment during spring, but Jacks work on 10 plays. A great coach called Lombardi made this work, but that was in the 1960's. Last time I looked; the calendar says 2012. The players have to be bored out of their skulls. Real tough to defend 10 plays too. Even if they are run to perfection. Stig better hope this works for his job's sake. I believe the AD and the U President want to win now. They have some big plans for the program.

Comment

Working...
                                X